Profile for britannica624 > Reviews

Godzilla [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Broderick
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 3.17

1.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the rating to the left. This is ZERO STARS!!!, 20 Mar 2006
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] (DVD)
I never thought I would find a film worse than Independence Day but I have. There is so much wrong with it! I couldn't even finish watching it. The original Japanese versions were cheesey but fun but this was trecherous. Do yourself a favour and avoid this train wreck like the plague.

The Exorcist - Director's Cut [DVD] [1974]
The Exorcist - Director's Cut [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Ellen Burstyn
Offered by OnlineMusicFilmsGames
Price: 7.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really scary at all, 27 Feb 2006
Well, what can I say; I read the book (v.g.) and saw the movie expecting it to take a week of sleep away from me, but there was not one scene that made me jump, give me nightmares or psychologically disturb me. I think the reason so many people were scared is because they take this seriously (Which I don't, I am an atheist.) And they haven't read the book (Which I have so I expected everything.) Actually the book was much more explicit. (Although not scary.) The exorcist is an enjoyable drama; it could pass as a thriller but I think it is a long shot from the scariest movie of all time. But I suppose if you do take it seriously, it could scare you and if you didn't expect many scenes, It would have a disturbing element to it but I was shocked as to how the world reacted to this film. Here are some interesting facts about the filming and release of the movie. It is widely known as "The Curse of the exorcist".
-During filming, Max Von Sydow's (Father Merrin) grandfather died of a heart attack.
-A total of nine people were killed in freak accidents on the set. (Similar incidents also happened during the filming of John Boorman's Exorcist 2: The Heretic.)
-During filming, one of Linda Blair's (Regan MacNeil) relatives died of a heart attack.
-During filming, Jason Miller's (Father Karras) mother died of a heart attack.
-During filming, the set burned down delaying the film six weeks.
-The film was banned in the U.K. for many years.
-To this day, the film is banned in Finland. (But what do you expect from a country that bannes Daffy Duck because he doesn't wear pants?)
-Three days after the film was released into cinemas, Jack MacGowran (Burke Dennings) died of a heart attack.
-When the film was released into cinemas people watching the movie were vomiting, fainting, screaming and running out of the theatres, crying, soiling themselves, having seizures, epileptic seizures, going into shocks, panic attacks, miscarriages, stillbirths, heart attacks even deaths. (Expecially during the crucifix masturbation scene.)
-When people were watching the film, many people even went into comas and to this day, some of those people are still in the comas.
-Many people were psychologically damaged so badly that they were sent to insane asylums.
-As, of 2005, a total of approximatley 1,500 people have died around the world watching The Exorcist.
-When the film was released into theatres, thousands of catholics made pilgrimages to the Vatican to protest the release of the film. There was so much unrest that the pilgrims even began to riot.

Well there you have it. That movie drove the whole world insane but not me. If you like getting the wits scared out of you, I recommend Ju-on. That was quite disturbing, although the plot was very badly set up.

Dvd ~ Paul Giamatti
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars why, Why WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?, 23 Feb 2006
This review is from: Sideways [DVD] (DVD)
Why didn't this film win best picture? It was completely flawless. Million Dollar Baby wasn't even good! This was truly excellent and is my favourite film of all time. I am so obsessed with this film, I have decorated my office with Sideways posters from France, Germany, Japan and of course Britain. What pisses me of is that so many people insist on ridiculing this film. Let me start with the fact that they think it is boring, humourless and slow. To say that Sideways is boring shows that you do not understand the ironic tension between the two main charachters. One man was recently divorced (Jack), one about to get married (Miles) and the idea is that Jack has no idea what he is about to experience in marriage. (This shows from his consistent adultery.) Miles knows what is going to happen when Jack gets married but he cannot help his friend. To say Sideways is humourless shows you must have turned off the film early or walked out of the theatre early because of the hilarious climax at the end, not to mention a few other unexpected incidents throughout the film. Sure this movie doesnt have a setup most people are used to but that makes it more realistic. Please see this film, keep an open mind and remember what you just read to understand it more easily. ENJOY!

The Simpsons - Season 6  [DVD]
The Simpsons - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Simpsons
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Still shows us it is better than family guy, 4 Nov 2005
The simpsons is absolutley brilliant. This is seriously well thought out material with random hilarious moments. No wonder so many celebrities contribute to this show by coming on as guest stars. This season is also one of the best. It includes the unforgettable "Who shot mr. burns pt. 1." Although some of the late episodes are not as good, it still shows us that it is better the the disaster known as Family guy. It sickens me that some people are willing to contribute to that show and say that it is better than the simpsons when they can't even tell what a rip off of it is. Just ignore that loser seth macfarlaine and his pointless show because the simpsons the best show to this day and will most likely be for a long time.

Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.37

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been soooo good!, 1 Oct 2005
When Shaun of the dead started, I was highly impressed, great acting directing, screenplay and had the creepy sense of a zombie movie. Until Shaun comes home to find a zombie in his backyard, the movie totally collapses. When they said they were going to hide out in an unsecluded pub I thought that was silly but when they see that zombies are surrounding it and they still try to get in, I could already tell it was going to become a disaster. Plus, I liked when the gorey parts were kept in the backgroud; I personally thaught it was creepier but until the mess of guts in the end It was gross and obnoxious. It would have been better if they got trapped somwhere for a while, met a couple of survivors, etc. and tried to escape. Just like in dawn of the dead. This could have been a great film but it was dissapointing. Don't see it, it's not worth it.

Dvd ~ Paul Giamatti
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough, 4 Aug 2005
This review is from: Sideways [DVD] (DVD)
I have seen this film too many times to count. The people who give this film one star can't understand the moral value of this masterpeice. This is something the whole world should see.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
Offered by Click4entertainment Limited
Price: 27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars best gta game, 27 Jun 2005
I personally think that vice city was the best gta game. I like the fact that you can dominate a little glamourous florida key with a hot car on every corner and a fancy house on every street. In Vice city, you can organise your own life and save games at different houses with different pairs of clothes and different cars in the garage. When you get tired of doing regular missions, you can do bonus missions or go on rampages. I personally like to jump on civilian cars with an M16 and shoot shoot people and other cars. While you are doing that, you can shoot the car; some of them get out and run away but some of them speed up. This makes it easier to get away form cops. So get up, get to your ps2 and have a blast!

Dawn Of The Dead (The Directors Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Dawn Of The Dead (The Directors Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Sarah Polley
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars yes and no, 27 Jun 2005
Dawn of the dead is the remake to George Romero's Sequel to night of the living dead. I have not seen the original and this one hasn't helped me decide whether or not I should. This film has very good acting, directing and screenplay and keeps your attention quite well but only on and off. Sometimes, it is boring by the constant chitchat and scene after scene where a friend is bitten by a zombie and has to be shot but then it brings you back up to attention by the intensity and scenes where the there are total mood swings with the movie to keep it interesting. This film was faIrly acceptable to watch but I would have to have a lot of time to waste if I wanted to see the original.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Offered by Musicland Ltd
Price: 10.50

2.0 out of 5 stars overcooked, 23 Jun 2005
With gta3, we recieved a silent personality along with the classic criminal look and a dirty bustly crime-ridden dump to play around in. In Vice City, We recieved a high class organised crimelord and a small glamourous Florida Key to dominate. In San Andreas, we recieve a nasty cheap low class gangster from the ugliest city in the state you may explore.
It seems that Rockstar has gone over the top with all of the provisions in San Andreas. There may be lots to do but there is just too much!! Why do we have to feed our charachter? Why do we have to workout? Rockstar also wanted to make us happy with an entire state to explore. It is so difficult to get around! They could have at least provided better transportation. Plus, we don't need to have three cities parodised off of major spots in Western America so close together. I don't mind lots of land, as long as we don't have to go breaking our back to get around, we could have had a quality transportation system!
The properties really could have been improved. Most of the interiors look exactly the same! they could have at least scaled with the house and most of them are really ugly. The cars havent improved either. They spent so much time with quantity that they forgot about quality. Most of the cars are just copied designs with fake names and others you can tell were made quickly because they are so drab and plain. some are even almost the same! They should have brought back the old designs and changed them around, made them look funky.
The charachter couldn't get any worse. Why do we have to have a low class gangster from the compton ghetto? Why couldn't we have a rich guy involved in organised crime that works alone like in vice city? Except, they gave us a "gangsta".
I admit they are some major improvments like swimming, clothes shopping and graphics but overall, the quality has been replaced with quantity and that doesn't make it worth buying. Sorry rockstar, maybe next time.

Edward Scissorhands [1991] [DVD]
Edward Scissorhands [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Price: 3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley stunning, 18 May 2005
This is one of the best films I have ever seen. I liked how especially it was very meldramatic. It is about a mad scientist who creates a perfect artificial being he named Edward but the scientist dies before Edward is completed leaving him with scissors for hands. He is found by a woman and she brings him home to a weird suburbia neighbourhood with multicoloured houses. I'll leave the rest for you to watch on your own.
I really recommend this to drama lovers. VERY INSPIRING!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3