Profile for Mayumiwinn > Reviews

A Life in Frocks
A Life in Frocks
by Kelly Doust

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but not exactly Inspired..., 6 April 2011
This review is from: A Life in Frocks (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone really interested in fashion and who reads around the subject a lot (both academically and frivolously), I was intrigued to read this book which goes through Kelly Doust's relationships with clothes. The dust cover and art work it is hiding underneath is a pretty addition too.

At first this was quite entertaining and I quickly read through half of the book. However, it all gets a bit tedious. The book is not chronologically written so when she refers to different boyfriends/countries with relation to her choice of clothes it all gets a bit confusing. Sure these details don't really hamper the content but it did begin to lessen my interest. This book is basically a glorified magazine article, which is no surprise since it was originally intended to be written as such and a shorter article did appear in an Australian publication. So while, Doust produces really engaging magazine articles which I do enjoy, this book doesn't quite work.

Revolutionary Road
Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars Eveyone should read this!, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: Revolutionary Road (Paperback)
I picked up this book on a complete whim. Having not seen the film adaption, I began reading and was soon sucked into American 50's Suburbia following the story of a seemingly happy couple whose individual choices, ultimately end in tragedy.

I was surprised how very real the writing felt, each emotion or fleeting thought that Yate's was able to capture and pen were perfectly described- something that is a very rare thing to come across. I was able to feel real empathy with the characters which made you hate/love them even more. You could relate to parts of their characters as a result it is one of those rarity's that leave an impression on you. It has become one of my favourite books, full of memorable quotes and I will certainly be recommending it to any one who will listen!`

The Princess Plot
The Princess Plot
by Kirsten Boie

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Princess Plot (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This story was a winner with my 12 yr old sister who has always loved books such as the Princess diaries. While it's quite predictable at times and akin to the types of made for TV Disney movies that younger girls seem to love. It was nonetheless a fun read, (perhaps a little longer than necessary) but with enough twists in the story to keep it interesting.

The Vagrants
The Vagrants
by Yiyun Li

4.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Read, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Vagrants (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not usually the type of book that I would go for and it's most certainly not a light read but instead, it is one that is harrowing, bleak but written in such a manner that you'll be fully absorbed in the desperate events that unravel within it's pages. Based on that the events that take place in a small Chinese community, it follows the devastating effects the cultural revolution have on the small village. Written so starkly, at times I wanted to put the book down and reel away in horror- but I didn't and I'm glad that I carried on. It's most certainly a book that will stay with you for a long time.

Japanese (Collins Easy Learning Audio Course)
Japanese (Collins Easy Learning Audio Course)
by Fumitsugu Enokida
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good!, 30 Jun 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed using this audio course. It's simple, easy to follow and perfect for beginners or for those who want to brush up on their knowledge of the Japanese language. I like to listen to it when I'm travelling and as it states on the box, it's super easy to transfer it onto your ipod.

It obviously does not compare to real classroom learning (I took a short course in Japanese during university) but it is good for general knowledge. The booklet that is included is highly useful to aid your learning too. Overall, You can't really complain when it is at such a good price but they might have included such phrases as good evening...but that is me being really picky. At such a low price I think it's pretty good value for money!

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 20 Dec 2008
One of my friends is a huge fan of this series and encouraged me to give the books a try. Being a fan of vampire/horror type of books, I thought why not, after all there seemed to be such a cult following for the series.

However the books did not even compare to other highly regarded vampire novels. I know the books are written for a teen audience and being 22, I am a little past that now. However, I hold such books as Harry Potter, which is written for an even younger audience, in high esteem.

What I found quite frustating in this book was the lack of reality. Ok, sure it's a novel about vampires but I felt that it was extremely superficial and that the heroine, Bella a little flaky. It was hard to grasp the unconditional love that they had for each other from the moment go and also, how fast she accepted the fact he was a vamp too as well as the constant questioning over how he managed to save her from that truck. What bugged me particularly, was that it is human nature to make excuses for unexplained occurances- just what was it that she expected him to say? "Oh yes, I run at super speed?".

Worst of all, it is badly written and it's actually the first time where I've read a book where I've really noticed this. Sometimes the sentence structure is all wrong and there is an abundance of grammatical errors. On many occassion I had to read back the sentences to try and understand what Meyer meant to convey.

In all, the story was there and I liked the idea and for a while, I did enjoy it. I just felt that it was a book which only skimmed the surface, it felt more like a draft than an actual finished book. It was not a sophisticated read by any means. For those who want to read a proper vampire novel, try Anne Rice's Interview with a vampire. Or even, for those who want a vampire romance series aimed at teens, try LJSmith's Night world series which I loved as a teenager and still do now.

Night World: 5: The Chosen
Night World: 5: The Chosen
by L J Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Dec 2008
Rashel and Quinn are such a great couple, not only because they are forbidden but they are both powerful in their own right. Different to the power relationship of say, Mary Lynette and Ash. I love how they are both sworn enemies but also how they are meant for each other (cheesy but it really works and hey, it's a teen book)

I have gone on a reviewing rampage with these books as I am eagerly awaiting the final installment after rediscovering my love of the books after about 8 years...go read the series and hope that the final book is released soon!

Soulmate (Night World)
Soulmate (Night World)
by Lisa Jane Smith
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab., 16 Dec 2008
All these night world books gave me goosebumps when I first read them nearly 9 years ago and none more so than this story of soulmates and the idea that two people are meant to be. It's so romantic in an innocent, naive way which is why I love them so much, seeing as that IS how you feel when you're a teenager.

Having discovered them again, I can't help but feel the same and remember how much I loved these books.

Start with Secret Vampire and you're sure to love these books too!

Night World #01: Secret Vampire/Daughters of Darkness/Spellbinder (Night World (Special Bind-Up Reissues))
by L. J. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!, 16 Dec 2008
I'm like most of the other reviewers on here. I am 22 and started reading these books when I was about 13/14.

I was digging through my old books and came across these and re-read them in a week. This book is one of my favourites as Mary Lynette and Ash are one of my favourite couples, two incredibly strong characters...and we all love a bad boy with a soft side!
I just wish LJsmith would hurry up and release the final installment. We have literally been waiting 10 years since the last book was released and that makes me feel ancient and too old to be reading these teen books still! Only thing is, the book gets pushed back year after year, so it may never happen.

Go read them now and maybe you'll be lucky enough to have the final book released on time for you.

Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
by Laurell K. Hamilton

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 16 Dec 2008
I really enjoyed the Anita Blake series, once I read Guilty Pleasures I couldn't stop reading the others and became a fan. So I have to give her credit for the early days.

However this one was the last book I ever read purely because the plot became overshadowed by all the sex scenes. If that's what you're looking for then fine, go for it. I wouldn't even borrow these books from the library now because there is just no substance to the books anymore. What a shame.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3