Profile for Glyndle > Reviews

Content by Glyndle

Glyndle (UK)

Komputerbay 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 SODIMM (204 pin) 1333Mhz PC3-10600 (9-9-9-25) Laptop Notebook Memory for Apple Mac Mini
Offered by KOMPBAY
Price: 58.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, works perfectly, 28 Jan 2013
Memory works fine - was easy to upgrade my mac mini, doubling the RAM at a fraction of the price apple charge.

Roland PM01 Personal Drum Monitor
Roland PM01 Personal Drum Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased, 14 Feb 2011
Overall, I'm very pleased with this. It is designed to work with the HD-1 drums so visually, and practically, it fits the job. Looks good, fits in the space between the pedals and is actually quite big, much bigger than I thought it would be - about 18 inches high. Sound wise, it is good too. Perfect for practice in the house, as it is loud enough to make people sit up and take notice and the sound has the right range of bass and treble to make the drums sounds realistic and credible. Not loud enough to play in a band though, you would need more amplification. Overall, an essential purchase if you don't want want to spend your practice time playing with headphones on !

The Really Easy Way to Play the Drums (with play along CD) (Steve Laffy's Drum Tutors)
by Steve Laffy
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to get you started, 21 Dec 2010
After dabbling in drums as a teen (over 20 years ago) and playing air drums to heavy metal since then, I decided to take the plunge and ket my own kit. While I was able to drum away contentedly, I quickly realised that I was going to have to put some hours in to get some polish to my technique and bought this book to provide some structure to that practice. I also liked the idea of starting right from the beginning as while I may be able to cope easily with the basics of drumming, I wanted to check whether I had any bad habits that needed to be corrected.

When I first looked at the book I felt quite dismayed as it looked like 40 pages of music scores, but I sat down with the book and the CD and worked through the first section and suddenly realised how the whole thing was going to work. In isolation, the book would be difficult to work with but with the CD, you hear the author talking out instructions and playing along with the beats. It facilitates practice as you can work on one page, step by step, and build your technique as you listen again and again to the tracks. The drum notation teaching builds up from basics too, so while I was intimidated by it initially I'm starting to really enjoy the fact that I am learning drum notation as well as practical technique.

The great thing about this is that you are effectively getting drum lessons which you can work through in your own time, as fast or slow as you like.

I highly recommend this.

Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station
Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works - difficult to set up, 2 Dec 2010
I got this so I could create a wireless home storage network, and also use it as a media server so I could stream my photos and music directly from an external hard drive and not have to keep my PC or laptop on all the time. I can't comment on the print server or torrent download options as I haven't used them.

Now I have it set up and working, it is great. Using Iomega QuikProtect software, I have my work and personal laptops backing up live changes over my wireless network. I have two USB hard drives attached to it, and the iconnect device copies my data across from one to the other overnight so I've always got 3 copies of my data on different devices - one local, and two networked storage disks. A word of warning though, you may want to do your initial back up through a LAN cable as wireless transfer speeds are slow. It is ok for changes and new media files but a whole back up of many gb would take ages over wireless.

The media server option is ok for music and photos but not video, which tends to be very choppy.

Now for the downsides. Setting it up was very difficult. The software that comes with it (Storage Manager) would not recognise the device. I got around this by setting up a static IP for the device on my router and then manually adding the device through typing in the ip address as it would not auto detect it. Then sometimes my laptops would pick up the device on a reboot, but often it would not and I spent many frustrating hours trying to fix this. Often the only way to fix things would be to reboot the device itself as it would simply stop working over the wireless network. Updating to the latest firmware seems to have fixed a lot of these issues so I would recommend you do this as soon as you get it.

Overall, it does exactly what I wanted it to do so I am really pleased with it. I would struggle to recommend it as an off the shelf device as it was so difficult to get working consistently. I have a bit of knowledge about how to fix networking issues but many people do not and as a home consumer product, it should not be shipped out with issues like that to contend with.

The Expert at the Card Table: Classic Treatise on Card Manipulation (Dover Magic Books)
by S.W. Erdnase
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 July 2001
This book is an excellent piece of history. The first complete course on card manipulation, it is fair to say it changed the course of card magic in the 20th century. Dai Vernon, the father of modern magic knew the book by heart by the age of 12.
It is less detailed than some parts of Royal Road to Card Magic (which is my view is still the place to start as a beginner) and some of the descriptions require intense concentration. However it does have some gems within it's pages including a good description on how to perform the classic 3 card monte effect.