Profile for J. M. Cook > Reviews

Content by J. M. Cook

J. M. Cook "Malco - The Starmaker" (Norfolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Looking Glass War [DVD] [2005]
The Looking Glass War [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Christopher Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the film although I found the opening segment a ..., 2 April 2015
I lived and worked in West Berlin throughout 1967 and extensively toured the old DDR in 1988. I often crossed over through Checkpoint Charlie into East Berlin and I can assure you the locations etc smell of the old East Germany. I enjoyed the film although I found the opening segment a little upsetting. It's not quite up to the standard of other Le Carre stories made into films. Try it, you might like it!

Cook's Tours: Tales of a Tour Manager
Cook's Tours: Tales of a Tour Manager
by Malcolm Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Jan. 2015
Everything in my book is true and the reviews received have been generous.

Nokia 6310i Mobile Phone - Silver
Nokia 6310i Mobile Phone - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars For simply phoning and texting you won't beat the Nokia 6310i, 10 Jan. 2015
I purchased a silver Nokia 6310i when it first came on the market, it a superb mobile phone. Since then have purchased a host of mobiles ranging through other Nokia's, Samsung, of which I currently have three, but none have measured up to the Nokia 6310i.
I decided that now in my early seventies I only want a mobile for use as a phone and on which to text, today mobile are so very complex for an aging gentleman and I didn't was the hassle, so via Amazon UK I purchased and identical 6310i. It was delivered three days earlier than advised and is in pristine condition, so I'm happy again and delighted with my purchase, a super mobile, in fact the best ever.

Maquis: An Englishman in the French Resistance
Maquis: An Englishman in the French Resistance
by George Millar

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book On The Subject of Organised Resistance, 29 April 2014
Having from an early age read a good many reports on the French Resistance, George Millar's Maquis is a book once started you will find hard to put down. My first paperback version was purchased around 1958, since then I estimate I have read the book at least 25-30 times, each reading draws my attention to one or other of a variety of Millar's associates. My first paperback, which I still have, was indexed War/Fiction, which surprised Mr Millar when I wrote to advise him.
Ten years ago I purchased a secondhand hardback first edition which is my pride and joy. If you are interested in resistance and/or clandestine operations during WWII I recommend that you buy this book, I genuinely believe you too will find it a captivating report of one British soldier's success in training and organising those who became his friends in the Maquis of the Doube Valley area of Eastern France. Although initially banned, Maquis, on the direction of De Gaulle became standard reading in all French schools.

Ring of Spies [DVD]
Ring of Spies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bernard Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring of Spies in DVD format, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Ring of Spies [DVD] (DVD)
I recorded this item some years ago courtesy of video recording. I am delighted this drama/documentary will now be released in DVD format. I consider Ring of Spies to be the most excellent of drama/documentary as it uses the actual locations, the casting is superb.

I enjoy espionage films ie Funeral in Berlin, Quiller Memorandum, Smiley's People, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Torn Curtain etc, but they are all excellent fiction whilst Ring of Spies is factual, it happened here!

On the evening following the end of the court case featuring Gordon Lonsdale, Harry Houghton, Ethel Gee and The Kroger's, I, together with my friend drove in his brand new Renault Dophine to Cranley Drive at night and sat for some time staring at the bungalow in which the Kroger's lived and from which they sent their messages to their Russian masters....very eerie at the time.

William Sylvester, Bernard Lee and David Kossof are all excellent, hence I would advise anyone even remotely interested in spying and espionage to acquire this DVD.....I can't wait for my pre-ordered copy to arrive.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap But Very Cheerful, 14 Aug. 2013
I've had all manner of watches over the years, my 21st birthday present was a gold Winegartens, my late father gave me a gold Longine, I then purchased a superb Seiko, since then a BA flight attendant gifted me a black faced Swatch. I eventually decided I didn't need an all dancing and jigging watch, all I needed was a watch that tells me the time with accuracy, hence I opted for the black face version of this little gem....accurate to the second, very light to wear and if it's lost I'll simply buy another, it's the best value for money time-piece ever!

Maquis
Maquis
by George. Millar

5.0 out of 5 stars The detail is incredible, by far the best book on the subject!, 8 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Maquis (Hardcover)
My first copy of Maquis was in paperback and purchased many years ago, since then it has never been allowed out of my safe keeping. As those who have read the book will know, Maquis was one of if not the first book on the subject to be published following WWII....the first edition was actually published in 1945.

I had read that first paperback copy no less than 26 times, it continues to be my favourite book. There was a rather obvious mistake made by the publisher, in that they had the book filed as WAR/FICTION. I wrote to George Millar and advised him of the mistake which seemed to amuse him.

A few years ago I was able to find and purchase an actual first edition which at [...] I considered a bargain.

Whenever I read Maquis it is like reading a new book, I find myself concentrating on a different character other than Emile. Over many years I have read virtually every book on the subject of Maquis, SOE and Resistance but I have yet to find a book that comes close to Maquis by the late George Millar.

Casio AQ-230A-1DMQYES Small Unisex Combi Bracelet Watch
Casio AQ-230A-1DMQYES Small Unisex Combi Bracelet Watch
Offered by TimeZone

4.0 out of 5 stars Strap Problem!, 9 Oct. 2010
The Casio AQ-230A watch is a very good looking item and for the price alone it is an excellent bargain.
I previously owned the same watch but in basic mode, not the stainless steel version. I toured throughout Europe using the dual time feature and the watch kept excellent time. The sole reason for purchasing the stainless steel version is that I badly scratched the 'glass' on the original, and for the price alone it seemed silly not to buy a new watch.
I've now had the watch for only two weeks, yet I have already received two comments on its looks!
Problem: The problem I have relates to the stainless steel link strap (a) adjusting the strap is complicated as there are no directions offered and (b) the clasp unit on the strap concerns me as it very easily comes loose, I have nearly lost the watch on three occasions in two weeks!
I am now seriously thinking of changing the stainless steel strap for the black plastic type item which is sad. However, I shall continue to wear and use Casio watches as they are reliable and excellent value.

The Lady In The Van
The Lady In The Van
by Alan Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars An hilarious and wonderful true story!, 6 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Lady In The Van (Paperback)
The book The Lady In The Van maybe small in size, but truly vast in entertainment value, everything you would ever expect from the pen of Alan Bennett!

Kentish Lad, A
Kentish Lad, A
by Frank Muir

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Bedside Table Book, 6 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Kentish Lad, A (Paperback)
Once read, A Kentish Lad will remain on your bedside table to be read wholely or in part time and time again!

Page: 1 | 2