Profile for Remyrobson > Reviews

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
by Susanna Clarke
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio version reviewed (as requested!), 5 Jan. 2007
Although I began reading this book in paperback I found the weight of the book made my wrists ache! I therefore decided to purchase the audio version to listen to on the journey to work.

It is read by Simon Prebble who has narrated many audiobooks. His voice is very easy to listen to and he distinguishes between characters voices very well. The period language used is made clear by his narrative.

The footnotes are read out as they appear in the text, for example as "Footnote one ..." which is perfectly fine, but if the footnote is long you tend to forget what prompted it. In a book you would re-read the last sentence but it can cause confusion in an audiobook. However, the footnotes are vital to the plot.

Finally, it is very long (32 hours), but this is great if you are commuting to work, it gives you something to look forward to other than free newspapers!

I hope this is helpful!

The Darling Buds Of May: The Complete Collection [DVD] [1991]
The Darling Buds Of May: The Complete Collection [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this any more!, 8 Jun. 2004
I have loved The Darling Buds of May since I was seven and recorded every episode on VHS, this is great because I have watched them many times, however, VHS doesn't last! When the DVD was released I ran out and bought it. I'm sure people purchasing this item are fans of the programme and the wonderful episodes are unchanged. For me the bonus of owning the DVD is that I don't have to fast forward through the adverts from 1993 and I know it won't run out in a couple of years! Buy it, it will be an asset to your collection and if you can't remember one or two of the episodes or subtle jokes then you can curl up on the sofa and refresh your memory, don't worry if you find yourself grinning at the TV, this is a normal reaction!