Profile for mpk > Reviews

Citizen Women's EW0970-51B Silhouette Diamond Eco Drive Watch
Citizen Women's EW0970-51B Silhouette Diamond Eco Drive Watch
Price: 177.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 26 Dec 2011
Not much you can say about a watch like this as it doesn't have many functions - it shows the time & date. Having said that though, I bought this as a Christmas present for my wife who loves it. It's small enough to sit on her wrist without her even noticing it, which means she's actually wearing it - unlike some other watches she has.

We did need to adjust the strap size which is easy enough to do at home with a miniature screw driver by pushing the pins out - rather than unscrewing as I tried to do unsuccessfully for a minute or two before realising the error of my ways. I didn't notice this in the instruction manual, so if I was being a bit picky, this is something that could be included.

Delivery - faultless! I was caught short 3 days before Christmas when the original place I ordered from was showing as no stock & I would only receive in January. I placed the order with next day delivery & got it before lunch the following day. :) Thanks to Amazon for getting it out so quickly.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

1,200 of 1,253 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars new Kindle - brilliant!, 28 Oct 2011
So after reading a lot of the negative reviews, I still went & bought a new Kindle yesterday & glad I didn't just base it on the negative comments - these are some of my reasons:

I bought it to read books on. When was the last time you bought a book and expected it to do anything else other than have pages in it with words on it. Yes, I know that they have some of these other features, and people may like them - however it is an e-reader. Use it as one & you will be happy with it. Try use it for anything else & you may end up being disappointed.

1st impressions of it - not much to it & it just works.
I don't care about having audio - I buy books to read, not to have them read to me (that's what an MP3 player is for & is good at)
I don't care that the browser may not work (that's what a PC/Mac/iPad etc.., are used for and they are good at it)

Some people say that the text is not as crisp or clear as a book, or it doesn't have the same feel as a book - bah humbug to you. It's not a book. If you want to hold a book & have the same feel as a book - please buy a book.

A few people complained about the lack of a keyboard & that the new controller was a problem - really? I got my 8yr old daughter to try it out last night and she had no issues. I can only suspect that people having issues either have a defective unit, or maybe don't have the finger dexterity that they would need. Anyone familiar with using a mobile phone should have no problems using this new interface. Besides, for people who never mark up anything and only want to read (like me), you'll probably never need to use the keyboard after the initial setup very often anyway.

To those of you who are complaining about the price differences between the UK & the US - get over it. yes, there is a $79 version (roughly 52), however you still have to pay tax in the US, so you can add at least another 5 - 10 to this price depending on which state you live in. Did anyone also read that the cheapest one comes with advertising & sponsored screensavers? those companies are effectively subsidising the cost of the Kindle to us end users. Take the Kindle that is exactly the same that we buy here & you're see it's actually $109 plus tax. So there is not much difference in cost at all really, other than we are unable to buy a version that is subsidised by corporate advertising. Not really an Amazon issue or an issue with the Kindle itself - please leave feedback on the actual product, and not about why you won't be buying it because of cost.

I love the reduced packaging as I have less to throw away and there is just a little bit left of the world that hasn't needed to have been dug up/processed just to make a product look nicer for us. I guess some people are expecting more when they open it up & feel deflated when all they get is what they bought plus a cable. No longer do we see a mass of eco unfriendly packaging, pull out nicely packaged cables/connectors & power supply, then get to go through a heap of booklets in different languages & then finally after the excitement & anticipation has built up you finally get to the actual Kindle. Sorry guys, it's just not going to be like when you were a kid opening Xmas presents. Open the box & what you see is pretty much what you get - the Kindle, a cable & a thin 1 page guide to the device. Can't get any better!

As for the power supply not being provided - why do we need yet another power supply? Another plus for those of us wanting to get companies to do their bit to help reduce our impact on the environment. Admittedly if you don't own a PC, or have a mobile phone or any other device that has a USB connection or plug that can be used to charge a standard USB device, then you'll need one. Is suspect this is a very small percentage of people though.

Some people complained that there were no instructions - ok, so they could have included a 1 line sentence on the paper guide they include saying that to turn it on for the 1st time, press & hold for 7 seconds. Once it's turned on though, there is a Kindle user guide on the front screen, why do I need yet another printed copy of it that will only end up going in recycling! I got this to reduce the amount of printed literature I have.

Hope that helps, and please don't let all the negative comments put you off - especially as most of them don't actually relate to the product himself!
Comment Comments (45) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2012 1:53 PM GMT

Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux)
Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux)

4.0 out of 5 stars simple and straight to the point, 24 Nov 2010
Like quite a few others here, I've used MS Money in the past, however after moving to a Mac and not using it for near on a year, I was looking for something that was Mac friendly and came across this Home Accountz. For the price I paid (under 20) & the experience I've had over the last week - what a great bit of software that is current, being supported well and (most importantly) - available for UK users.

about the review - Lets just get straight to a few points:

For anyone using PC's these days, the GUI isn't slick. In fact, my personal opinion is that it's a bit ugly and looks like it wouldn't be out of place in a very old Windows 3.1 environment (pre Windows 95 fro those of you who aren;t that old.. ;)). On the flip side, even though I'd used MS Money previously, I spent a few minutes looking at the tutorials and reading how the product works and then managed to import electronic statements from HSBC within a few minutes. Admittedly I didn't have any previous data and was starting from scratch, however the process was fairly painless. Just because something doesn't look god - does that make it bad or difficult to use? not in this case

It's not perfect - but then neither was MS Money. It just looked nicer & we all got used to the way MS wanted us to use a home accounts application.

If you take the time to understand some of the differences in how they do things (meaning read the manual & tutorials!), it all makes sense. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that I quite like it and find it very simple to use now.

It's not for everyone - but then you rarely find a "one size fits all" application. Some people will find it intuitive once you understand the way it works, while others who are set in doing things a certain way won't - it's just a fact of life.

The only way for you to know is test it out for 30 days free..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2010 2:48 PM GMT