Profile for J. S. GREEN > Reviews

Content by J. S. GREEN

J. S. GREEN "JSGREEN15" (Norfolk)

Brave
Brave
Price: 7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece - a must buy, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Brave (Audio CD)
Best thing I've heard in years. I didn't want to ever get into Marillion, and this goes back to their first album...too Genesis for me. But hey, I'm now 56 and I feel guilty about not sticking with them. Brave is a masterpiece. I saw Porcupine Tree come and go, and now Marillion are there at the top of my playlist. How stupid of me to waste all these years.

Great Western Valkyrie
Great Western Valkyrie
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff again, but the sleeve?, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
Would have been a 5 star except for the album cover. Great stuff from the sons again, retro, fresh, alive and raw. The beats and stuff have all been done before, BUT like I say with most things, there is always room in the market for things done well. This is brilliant, again. Can't wait to see them in December!!

Mute
Mute

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but no cigar, 10 Mar 2011
This review is from: Mute (Audio CD)
I bought this on the back of the 2 glowing reviews and the fact that I'd had a listen a few months ago to the first Demians album, when then I thought it was not too bad. For this to be elevated above a best of Stephen Wilson or PT playlist is praise indeed but hey, it falls well short of that. Nicolas has to be applauded for the effort in putting the whole project together...however therein lies the rub. You can tell that he misses a dedicated keys player and certainly a drummer. The extra dimension you get in the studio from having people to spin ideas from is invaluable and Nicolas misses this opportunity I think.

I can understand why PT fans may go for this, but I am not one of them. In case you are thinking I adore everything SW does, I don't. I slated Insurgentes and wasn't keen on The Incident. However both of these are superior to Mute I'm afraid.

There are obvious influences in there; I couldn't help but feel that the opener is based on PT's 'Open Car', and there are tones of QOTSA on another. I do adore the way SW seamlessly shifts phrases in his music. Nicolas tries this and fails I think. Some of the transitions are quite crude. I don't get that prog can benefit from being rough around the edges (NC said that he left some of these rough edges in deliberately), these days you expect a bit of polish and quality mastering. Leave rough edges to the indie lot.

Sorry, it does not get the thumbs up from me. I look for something to hook into and despite careful listening, I felt myself wanting to slide off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2011 4:47 PM GMT

DuragadgetŽ 10 / 11 inch Pink Water resistant laptop / notebook / netbook / UMPC carry case / bag / sleeve for Samsung NC10 Netbook Pink 10.2"W

4.0 out of 5 stars Too small! But..., 27 Dec 2009
Even though it's labelled as 10-11 inch....it isn't. On the packaging that came with it, it says it's 10 inch, which is too small for the Samsung N120 which is the same size as the NC10. The product itself is fine, but useless if it's too small!!

Addendum to this review. I contacted the supplier and they replied very quickly (late at night, during the winter break!). They apologised for the mis-sizing, and agreed to replacing the unit with a larger one. This was done very quickly. So, many thanks for that I forgive you! Thanks!! I have added a couple of extra stars because of your excellent customer service.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil [DVD]
Anvil! The Story of Anvil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anvil
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The dream, the passion, the failure and the silver lining, 27 Jun 2009
Like other people I suspect, I felt split down the middle - funny as hell, and heart wrenching in equal measures.

I'd heard of the band, and probably heard one or two tracks over the years, but they never entered my life as such. Probably indicative of their story really, never getting that 'killer' tune, or getting the breaks. In the 80s I was into mainstream rock, and saw the occasional poster with their name on it, but never batted an eyelid really.

This DVD could be their triumph, and only now can these boys possibly consider that their break has come. It takes you through all aspects of their life; the home drudge, the failed tour, the arguments and the stab at a killer album which would change their world. Lips is as vivid a character as you'll ever come across; never quite aloof enough to become a metal legend...he's more of the bloke around the corner who's in a band. His passion rages at times, and it was this that got me. Being the same age as these guys, and also being in a band, and also having dreams in my teens....a lot of what they said and showed hit it home to me what I was like.

I throughly recommend this DVD to anyone. It's ending is sublime. Just when you thought the band would get lost backstage (a la Tap) they entered the arena expecting 15 people there, and it wasn't quite like that. Boys, this is your legacy! Fame didn't come quite as you'd wanted it to, but whoever suggested making a DVD of your struggles and dreams, was a genius. This is a sublime piece of documentary.