Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard (Ireland)

iPhone 4S 16GB 32GB & 64GB Replacement USB Charging Block / Data Sync Port Flex with built in Microphone and Connector for Home button flex *INCLUDING TOOLS TO DISASSEMBLE THE PHONE AND STEP BY STEP GUIDE**
Offered by ex-mobile

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 1 Jan 2014
I bought this item because my iPhone wouldn't output any audio, the VGA adapter wasn't detected and its menus falsely claimed it was hooked up to a Docking Station. After installing this replacement, everything appeared to be back to normal; however, I soon realised that my phone would no longer charge!

To the vendor's credit, the packaging was very sturdy while shipping & delivery was very fast and given the other reviews, I think I was just unlucky and received a bad dock connector. However, the charging issue is a fundamental problem and thus, I think it's only fair to rate this product 1*.

Official Sony PlayStation 2 AV Adaptor
Official Sony PlayStation 2 AV Adaptor

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD Green Screen Solution, 22 Aug 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
ADVANTAGES OF S-VIDEO OUTPUT:

Ten years ago, the PS2 was the premier all-in-one media entertainment system. Yet it had one small problem: the green screen. Essentially, it's impossible to watch a film on your PlayStation (while using an RGB scart cable) without having the picture displayed with a green tint. This product solves that problem with its s-video connection. S-video is a big step up from composite (the yellow wire that comes as standard with all PS2s) and a slight step down from RGB scart. Crucially, there is no green tint added to films when using the s-video connection. Additionally, this peripheral provides an AV multi-out which allows you to hook up a regular RGB scart cable too, i.e. RGB for gaming and s-video for films. If you're going to try this option, make sure your TV has s-video; it's not a common feature in Europe.

BETTER PERFORMANCE THAN COMPONENT OPTION:

Some would argue that a Playstation 2 Component Cable (PS2) (i.e. a cable with five plugs that split the video into red, green and blue while providing stereo audio output) offers a better solution. Yet this is only true if you have a slim PS2 which you intend to use for watching DVDs. DVDs perform best when the content on them is displayed using a progressive scan format (i.e. 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.). Slim PS2s can output films in 480p yet 99% of all PS2 games are designed to work solely in 480i (the interlaced format used on old tube TVs). Furthermore, fat PS2s can only display films in 480i. Consequently, if you play something like MGS2 (on either a fat or slim PS2) using component cables, the image will look very jagged while films will look slightly better depending on which version of the console you are using. (Unfortunately, it is impossible to connect RGB scart and component simultaneously.)

CONCLUSION:

In reality, the PS2 is a 480i console which works best with RGB scart and s-video cables while connected to a big old tube TV. This peripheral uniquely allows you to use both cabling options. If you're still holding on to your old console, this is definitely a worthwhile investment that will let you get the most out of its gaming and DVD-playback capabilities. Pick up one while you can as they're rarer than hen's teeth.

WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Backups, 28 Dec 2010
Recently enough, one of the main hard drives in my friend's laptops died and took all of her college notes with it. That got me thinking that I better make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me. 2 weeks later this hard drive arrived through my letter box. I'd spent a couple of days flicking through Amazon to see what the best options were and this model came out as the best of the lot. I think that it was the only one to consistently average above 4 stars and most of the complaints about it tended to revolve around abnormal cases. I've been using it to backup my OS drive once a month and to house some old mp3s/films I never really have time to get around to anymore. It's a great little product. Transfer speeds are good. There's no lag when streaming a movie from it. Ideally, I would've loved to have a firewire drive but it's very hard to find one that has good reviews and that doesn't cost the earth. If you need a good external drive, this is definitely worth considering.

ByteStor 16GB USB  High Speed "Dataferry" Flash Drive
ByteStor 16GB USB High Speed "Dataferry" Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, 28 Dec 2010
Last Christmas, I bought my Dad one of those NBox photo players (Nbox N32 Multi Media Player - HD 720p -RM, RMVB, AVI, DIVX, MKV, MOV, HDMOV, MP4, M4V, PMP, AVC, FLV, VOB,MPG, DAT, and MPEG.) that you hook up to your TV. It's great when you want to check out holiday pics from whenever. At the time, I bought a Sata drive in an external enclosure to house all the photos we'd taken. 6 months later, the drive was dead and panic ensued. Thankfully, everything was backed up. I think one of the problems was that the NBox didn't allow for mechanical drives to spin down or safely disconnect; in reality, it was far better suited to flash memory. With that in mind, I picked up two of these sticks. So far they've been great! No problems transferring info to or from them and playback is a lot smoother than it was off the old sata drive. Once I fill up the second drive, I'll be right back on to Amazon to order another one!

Antistatic Wrist Band
Antistatic Wrist Band
Offered by The end(Dispatched from HK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 28 Dec 2010
It's designed to stop you shocking your PC components to death when working on them. So far so good. I've found it to be very useful and have not had any negative experiences when using this product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 28 Dec 2010
This is the best product on the market. I've used it extensively when modding my laptop's CPU and GPU and it's never let me down. It consistently delivers and has always provided a marked drop in temperatures compared to the stock thermal pads. Would not hesitate to buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Movies and Music, 13 Mar 2009
The first laptop I ever bought was a Dell. It had some great points but the sound quality was poor. For some reason, it suffered from terrible latency while it would regularly snap, crackle and pop its way through any audio files I threw at it. I'm a bit of an audiophile so naturally I love to listen to lossless music. Before I added this card to my system, listening to ANYTHING was a nightmare! Afterwards, I had all of the frequencies reproduced without any of the problems before. Lots of people complain that this card doesn't automatically have analogue surround sound. However, it does have a digital pass-through that lets you send a digital surround signal which is of a far superior quality. Ultimately, if you're someone who likes listening to music, this is a great card! It's not perfect by any means (it's a mid-level card and there are pro-level options out there for those who want them) but what it does, it does well.

BlueNext Super Mini Bluetooth USB Adapter Dongle
BlueNext Super Mini Bluetooth USB Adapter Dongle

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Dec 2008
Purchased this in order to use my mobile phone to control powerpoint presentations. So far, it's worked absolutely flawlessly and I'm now discovering all the added benefits of wireless file sharing that can be set up with the Bluetooth connection. On top of that, the device has a fantastic range, meaning that I can walk around the room/stage when presenting without any fear that the connection will go dead. It's a great product that's really easy to install and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Creative SB0410 Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Sound Card
Creative SB0410 Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Sound Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Now With Windows 7 Drivers!, 23 Dec 2008
Two things stand out about this card - quality and price. The SB is very easy to install in any PCI slot and Creative have recently released Windows 7 drivers (32 and 64 bit). I'm a music enthusiast and up to now had been using my Dell's onboard sound. This card offers greatly improved audio quality which really makes my music collection come alive. However, it is not a pro-level item. If you are hoping to use this for recording old LPs or tapes, you may be better off investigating M-Audio's cards. Overall, this is a reasonably-priced upgrade for anyone looking to improve the sound coming from their computer.