Profile for Payne by name > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Robocop [Blu-ray] [2014]
Robocop [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Joel Kinnaman

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking film, wish I hadn’t listened to the naysayers, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Robocop [Blu-ray] [2014] (Blu-ray)
So I like and own the 1987 version but was intrigued by the prospect of a reboot after 27 years. I heard about the lower age rating and all the negativity and decided against seeing at the cinema.

I wish I hadn’t.

I watched it last night on DVD and thought it was a fabulously entertaining film. I’m not really sure what people were expecting. I don’t want a carbon copy of the original film otherwise I’d simply watch that. I don’t want something that promises to be a reboot (Spiderman) but contains the exact same failings as the originals or promises to be a reboot (Star Trek) and then does everything it can to weave a twisting story to keep in a character from the old series.

Yes I like gore and violence but is that really what made the film Robocop? Can the themes of putting a man in a machine only be explained through the vision of claret and exploding limbs? The simple answer is no.

What we have here is a film that pays respect to its former film but is still trying to be its own film and I respect that.
I found Murphy’s character was well played and I didn’t find his wife and child sickly and annoying. Keaton and Oldman were excellent turning in great performances. The evolution of the story was well handled with a satisfying and entertaining run through of his near fatal wounding and then return as Robocop.

The thought that has gone behind his suit and his operating systems were very clever and his look was so badass. I loved how you could see how he was processing crime scene data and visualing it together.

All the tech on display was first rate, had weight and presence and I found the action scenes, even the shoot out at the beginning, to be really well handled. There was little shakey cam (a trick I can’t abide) and the scenes were not diminished by a lack of blood everywhere. You were invested enough in the characters and the reason for the scene to not be concerned that I wasn’t seeing a head torn apart.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It was entertaining, clever, action packed, intelligent and funny. After seeing it I knew I had to buy it on DVD both to own it and also because the makers deserve recognition for their impressive efforts in this film.

To put my opinion in context (so that others can judge whether it has validity) my top three films are District 9, Forrest Gump and The Last samurai.

Adidas Performance F50 Holdall
Adidas Performance F50 Holdall

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 23 April 2014
This holdall is bright and stylish. It's versatile, durable and does exactly what I want it to. Very happy with the purchase.

Rush [Blu-ray]
Rush [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking film, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Rush [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Quite simply it was my most favourite film of 2013. Two great characters, both right & both wrong. Well written, well acted and well directed. I felt for both characters, their trials and tribulations. A real belter.

Mens Blue Marvel Captain America Vector T Shirt
Mens Blue Marvel Captain America Vector T Shirt
Offered by i want one of those

5.0 out of 5 stars Best comic book t-shirt I've seen, 23 April 2014
I loved the unique design of this t-shirt when I saw it and just had to get it. It doesn't disappoint, looking as good in reality as it does on the screen. Cap's face is off white unlike the striking other colours but it still works.

Bought as a gift, so looking forward to seeing the recipients face when I hand it over.

Hatley Moose on Pink Women's Loungewear Flannel Pajama Pants Multicoloured X-Large

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading imagery to promote these pyjama bottoms, 25 Mar 2014
I bought these as a gift and I have to say that I'm quite disappointed with how they look.

The image of the bottoms gives an impression that the pink moose will have really good stand out against a predominantly white base. I was expecting something fun, bright and vibrant.

Having just opened the packet I'd describe the base colour as an off yellow, almost old mans urine. The colour makes them look like they've been worn for a good 20 years or so. I can't imagine what rationale was behind making them look dirty yellow but it was clearly one that they later decided was flawed as the photo to sell them doesn't match the product.

Considering that these aren't inexpensive pyjama bottoms, I would have expected something that looked cleaner and fresher.

Marmite Limited Edition Gold 250g
Marmite Limited Edition Gold 250g

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, best before date questionable, 29 Nov 2013
I bought this for a Christmas 2013 present.

It looks good but it is worth noting that it's best before date is Feb 2014, which is only 2 months away. Given that Marmite is something that I imagine would have a long shelf life, this is quite surprising.

3 & 5Pack Crosshatch Mens Cotton Check IN Boxer Shorts Designer Underwear Trunks

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not great, 27 Aug 2013
Good colouring, nice fit but the material is poor quality. JUst where they were folded in the bag, the pattern has seemingly come off at the creases, leaving white lines on the underwear.

Nike Dri-Fit Bold Stripe Golf Polo Shirt Pink Flash/College Navy X-Large
Nike Dri-Fit Bold Stripe Golf Polo Shirt Pink Flash/College Navy X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be very good quality, 14 Aug 2013
I've not yet had a chance to wear this but I'm impressed with the vibrant colours and the quality of the fabric that has been used.

Item arrived quicker than expected.

The Sessions [DVD]
The Sessions [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Hawkes

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, funny and moving, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Sessions [DVD] (DVD)
The Sessions - 8.5/10

A wonderful film that is handled with maturity, grace, humour and emotion. Very touching and humbling.

Spartacus - Vengeance [DVD]
Spartacus - Vengeance [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liam McIntyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Spartacus continues to impress, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Spartacus - Vengeance [DVD] (DVD)
I have to hand it to the people at Starz and Steven DeKnight Productions for a really top notch TV programme.

When you come across so many series that are constrained from letting their writers `let rip' both from an age restrictive angle and the ever present feeling of 'don't give the viewer too much because we need to string them along to season 4', Spartacus is such a breath of fresh air.

It takes no shame in being gloriously adult replete with graphic violence, swearing and nudity. Some could dismiss it as childish but I prefer to think of it as TV for the grown ups.

Likewise it is happy to throw in set pieces of a length and quality that other franchises would only leave for the opening or closing episodes. Whereas as many other productions fabricate ridiculous cliff hangers to hoodwink the audience into having to tune in next time, Spartacus gives you a glorious season, that can serve as a stand alone if the plug is pulled and doesn't leave you feeling cheated by the end.

Whilst other shows give you a main course but then hold off the dessert to entice you to tune in for the next season, Spartacus is happy to offer you a filling and nourishing full meal, safe & confident in the knowledge that you'll return next time not because you've been duped or forced but simply because you want to enjoy a similar experience.

When the 'drawn out' format of so many recent series is becoming so apparent, you have to take your hat off to the confidence and bravery of the makers.

And as for the actual series, well I'm sure it's easy to dismiss it all as a 300 style clone with slo mo violence and swirling Roman capes but it is so much more than that. Characters are given the chance to develop and flourish. You genuinely feel connections being made and that you aren't just receiving some kind of surface gloss.

Likewise the writing is bold and confident and there has been many a time where you'd be outraged at the actions of a character, vocalise your response as a viewer and then amazingly a character on screen would express a similar sentiment/reaction.

Characters are killed off to generate a sense of peril that people do die and hence not feel that every fight is a one sided affair and when they do go down they are given the room to do so rather than being a rushed affair.

Despite the obvious budgetary restrictions when placed against a movie, Spartacus still rocks in the look, feel and invention of the moves and set pieces. Maybe they use the slow motion effect a little too often but that really is a small grumble compared to just how entertaining and enjoyable this is.

Some shows, such as the Walking Dead, start with an enjoyable premise but then descend into tedious, soap opera melodrama. Others such as Hawaii Five O or The Mentalist attempt to tell an arc but have to keep including filler episodes to placate the casual, `I've tuned in to see a forensic criminal case' crowd.

I'm impressed with the makers for not dropping the ball when Andy Whitfield (the guy who played Spartacus) got cancer, for doing everything they could to hold off the production of the 2nd series to allow him to recover and producing a prologue series (Gods of the Arena) which was equally entertaining, and then maintaining the quality in their selection of Liam McIntyre to replace Andy when it was obvious he couldn't continue and unfortunately passed away.

There are few series that manage to stand head and shoulders above the competition but for me Spartacus belongs in the pantheon of greatness along with some other distinguished favourites of mine such as Jericho, Angel, Quantum Leap and Babylon 5.

Page: 1 | 2