Profile for S. Lacey > Reviews

Content by S. Lacey

S. Lacey (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Atari Greatest Hits (Nintendo DS)
Atari Greatest Hits (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro Gamers Can't Go Far Wrong Here, 15 July 2011
I'm a gamer. A gamer that enjoys retro games and this package delivers me all the way back to the late 70s early 80s, slip on a pair of flares and crack open a Party 7, this is fun!

The emulation of the arcade games seems spot on, I haven't noticed any glitches or sound drop outs which usually dog such things. The let down is probably more around the hardware, you realise just how small the DS screen is when you play asteroids & I don't know how playable it would be sat on a bus. However,sat at home, its fine.

Centipede, Tempest & Asteroids are probably the stand outs for me, both very playable and I'd hope that younger gamers would appreciate what a breath of fresh air these were upon their release.

The second half of the package covers the Atari VCS games, with Battlezone and Asteroids both recieving very good conversions of the arcade originals. I'd venture to suggest that no console has ever been pushed further than the VCS, with its limited hardware to get anything that looks and plays like the arcade cabinet is an achievement.

This is a package that has had a lot of care taken over it. Polish and professional with excellent emulation and a good selection of controls available. Its not the usual lazy dump of old roms onto a cartridge along with a half-cocked emulation. Its been lovingly crafted and I'd thank the developers for that.

Will you sit down and play the VCS games for hours? Probably not. But I don't think thats the point of this package. Its there to serve as a historical document and a reminder of less complicated days . . . Of course, whether you should buy this or not depends completely on whether you are interested in retro gaming and how home gaming started. If you aren't, then look elsewhere. if you are . . . then you'll have a lot of fun . . .

So Who's Paranoid?
So Who's Paranoid?

3.0 out of 5 stars Its No Grave Disorder, 22 Dec. 2008
This review is from: So Who's Paranoid? (Audio CD)
Ok, I confess, I got this on download for around £6 - so it represents a bit more value to me, but I have to say, its a disappointment after Grave Disorder, which I really liked.

Another reviewer has commented that there is no rage & fury, well, its a long time since 1977, things & people move on - so I can forgive that. But for me, this album doesn't quite know what it wants to be. A bit of Eloise era, a bit of pop, a bit of Floyd. Its a bit like an all you can eat buffet, you end up with a plate full, but it loses its identity.

However, Little Miss Disaster is a cracking number - but was released a few years back now.

Still a great live act (not many bands that staretd life back then can say the same - my last Stranglers gig was awful) & still a reasonable album - just not as good as I hoped for & almost has an end of era feel about it.

I have to ask, what next for The Damned?

Babylon [DVD]
Babylon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brinsley Forde
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars British Reggae in the 80s, 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Babylon [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An excellent movie that really does capture early 80s reggae in the UK, backed by a fantastic soundtrack - which makes it worth watching alone.

Its a fantastic commentary on the early 80s and you get the chance to see Mel Smith with hair!

If you have even a small interest in uk reggae, then this is certaintly worth watching... excellent movie and grab the soundtrack CD whilst you're at it.

Do I Not Like That - The Final Chapter [1994] [VHS]
Do I Not Like That - The Final Chapter [1994] [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Sporting Video Ever, 1 Dec. 2008
Can someone PLEASE tell me how I can get this on DVD?!? Its the best sporting video of all time - bar none - well, ok Once Upon a Lifetime about New York Cosmos comes close.

I've been (un)lucky enough to sit in dug-outs and manage in non-league & this video gave us a number of catch phares that were used on a weekly basis as we cruised the Suburban League with a young but talented side. "Les demand it..." was something of a favourite. "No, Nigel I want you to pass the ball..."

The refereeing performance against Holland is legendary - have there ever been worse officials?

If you are even half way interested in football - you MUST own this... I doubt we'll ever see a DVD version, so I'll have to keep my VCR!! Brillant

National Geographic The Human Skull
National Geographic The Human Skull

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the boys!, 27 Nov. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, I ordered this via the Vine programme, however it never showed up, so a wonder down the high street was called for!

Young boys will LOVE this - whats not to love, pulling a head apart?!? Excellent build quality as you'd expect from National Geographic. The pieces fit together well & boys especially will enjoy pulling it all apart.

There is also a heavy educational element here, so having fun & learning has to be a good thing.

Just a pity mine never showed up!!

Uno Card Game
Uno Card Game
Offered by EnjoyToys

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Airport Fun!, 27 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Uno Card Game (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is fine, fun game thats small and portable and is BRILLIANT to stick into your hand luggage for playing at the airport!

Pretty simple to pick up (I'd suggest a couple of trial games will be enough to get you going) and great fun to play in groups of pretty much any age.

And for under a fiver, you really have nothing to lose. Enjoy!

The Virgins
The Virgins
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Stonking Good Listen, 27 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Virgins (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As many have pointed out during reviews, there is a heavy dose of the Strokes buried in here, along with the Stones. However a less obvious influence for me was XTC and Andy Partridge' vocal delivery.

Its an excellent CD that I picked up by the Amazon Vine programme, very indie, great driving music & very well worth listing to.

Man Like I
Man Like I
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack to the Summer? Oh yes indeed, 18 July 2008
This review is from: Man Like I (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had the pleasure of catching Natty supporting reggae legend, Lee "Scratch" Perry in Camden Jan 2007 & his accostic set that night suggested had the potential to take off.

And this album sounds what he does have. Clever words, uplifting "vibe", sensitive introspective songs, coupled with "fun" tracks that leave you feeling pretty happy about life.

Some have suggested in the national press that Natty can be a bit "obvious" at times, however that misses the point. They are well crafted songs that are fun to listen to & can also make you think.

This is the soundtrack of the summer... if we never have one. Go treat yourself.

The Rough Guide To African Street Party
The Rough Guide To African Street Party

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sampler, 18 Jun. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Its always difficult to know where to start when fancying dipping into a new style or genre of music & these "Rough Guides" are an excellent starting point, having previously listened to the fantastic "Rough Guide to Jamaica"

It will give you a very good starting point and help you to decide what you do & don't like about African music. Its lively, colourful and enjoyable repeat listening.

Certainly recommend it.

Diary of An Afro Warrior
Diary of An Afro Warrior

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok But..., 18 April 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to confess, this isn't my usual listening, so maybe its unfair me passing comment however I'll pitch in with my views anyway!

A sparse "dubstep" style album which features a number of interesting basslines, that kept me listening - however I confess that I found it quite hard work to listen to - which made repeated listenings unlikely.

I can understand why people do enjoy this type of electronic music, it just doesn't do a massive amount for me.

Whilst I'm glad I took the chance to try it, I doubt I'll be back for more, which is probably more to do with my age than anything else.

If you like dubstep style, then you'll probably get something from me - but it just wasn't quite for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 3:50 PM GMT