Profile for Fiona Watson > Reviews

Content by Fiona Watson

Fiona Watson "fiwatson" (Birmingham UK)

Tumtum and Nutmeg: The Great Escape
Tumtum and Nutmeg: The Great Escape
by Emily Bearn

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting story, stretching vocabulary., 4 Jan. 2012
A fabulous story of 2 children surviving life in a disorganised family with the help of some very caring and well organised mice. I have read the book with about 60 different 8 year old girls and they all love it. I would expect most boys to enjoy it too, it does include a significant military assault, but I've no personal experience of their response. There are lots of difficult words but used in a way that doesn't impede the enjoyment if there is nobody around to help them. Great surprises and great suspense. Even though I've heard the story so many times I still love hearing it again - and I can't say that about many stories!

Premier Housewares Oblong Flip Alarm Clock - 9 x 19 x 6 cm - White
Premier Housewares Oblong Flip Alarm Clock - 9 x 19 x 6 cm - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 27 Nov. 2011
Only £5 so I can't complain but the description didnt make me understand that the day and date on this clock have to be advanced manually, making it useless for the purpose I had intended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2012 5:37 PM BST

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant despite some failings, 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Hardcover)
Absolutely compelling reading. Some implausibility in the plot but most can be explained away. A fascinating idea that most of us have so little understanding of that the plot developments are unpredictable. At some stage through the book I predicted everything that transpired - and more - but never resolved the thoughts until the end. At one point I wondered how the rest of the book would be filled, the resolution was disappointingly obvious. But, a clever new twist kept me going. It's not high art bit it's a cracking good read.

Maths for Mums and Dads
Maths for Mums and Dads
by Mike Askew

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and easy to read, 24 Oct. 2010
A very balanced and sensible exploration of modern primary maths teaching. It examines the reason why things have changed and clearly explains current vocabulary and approaches such as chunking and partitioning. Written with humour and a light touch. It explains that not all schools will be teaching in the same order or pace but doesn't shy away from detailing the most basic skeleton of the curriculum. As a teacher I am recommending the book to interested parents, my only slight niggle is that it doesn't sufficiently emphasise the importance of learning the mental strategies BEFORE the formal written approaches. Once you teach most children decomposition they have no interest in any other approach although few of us would use borrowing to work out 2705 - 2497. Lots of entertaining errors made by children.

Lighthousekeeping
Lighthousekeeping
by Jeanette Winterson

3.0 out of 5 stars A Children's boook???????, 8 May 2009
This review is from: Lighthousekeeping (Paperback)
I write this review because of the reason I read the book. I loved the book and wish I was clever enough to unwrap all its layers. I'd recommend it to any open minded adult prepared to have their prejudices about science/responsibility/love/truth/story challenged. However, I read it because Amazon listed it under books for children. In no way is this suitable for children (I was thinking 10 year olds) on so many levels they are not worth listing: I doubt if more than 10% of the adult population could make a reasonable stab at understanding it all, and the various sex scenes are arrestingly described but disquieting in their underlying values.