Profile for Lana > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Soldier Lost: A Short Story
Soldier Lost: A Short Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic short story, 20 July 2014
Soldier Lost clears up what happened to one of the characters from Joshua Guess' Living With the Dead series. A quick read but thoroughly enjoyable, just like all his books :)

Ever After (Living With the Dead Book 7)
Ever After (Living With the Dead Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars As excellent finish, 16 Jun 2014
I love Joshua Guess' LWtD series and I get excited thinking about book three months in The Fall series :)

Next (The Next Chronicle Book 1)
Next (The Next Chronicle Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 10 April 2014
Absolutely loved reading Next by Joshua Guess. Sharp, witty and original, it kept me turning pages until I was finished. Now I can't wait for book two!

With Spring Comes The Fall (Living With the Dead Book 1)
With Spring Comes The Fall (Living With the Dead Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique take on the zombie apocalypse, 28 Feb 2014
Joshua Guess has written a fantastic blog style novel detailing the fall of humanity and the struggle to rebuild despite the day to day struggles faced by those that reside in his community. Funny, poignant and reflective, he shares with us readers his home and the fight he and others face on a daily basis to survive. A must read which goes perfectly with his books Victim Zero and Dead Will Rise.

314 (Widowsfield Trilogy)
314 (Widowsfield Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 21 Dec 2013
I started this book thinkin I'd read a couple of chapters before bed and it's now 1.30 in the morning and I've been reading for hours. I'm away to get the next one for tomorrow night!

Dead Will Rise (The Fall Book 2)
Dead Will Rise (The Fall Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joshua Guess just gets better and better!, 15 Dec 2013
Quite simply put, if you like zombies you need to buy this book.

Joshua Guess weaves a tale so intricate that you feel a connection with the main character, K. The gradual changes wrought on his personality subtly tell the story of a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders slowly opening up to the world.

This alone makes it a great read but when you add the zombies it becomes a fight for life at the same time.

Dead Will Rise is set within the same universe as the authors Living With the Dead series but you don't need to read any of them to make sense of the story or characters.

I can't wait for the next instalment in the story :)

Snatchers (A Zombie Novel)
Snatchers (A Zombie Novel)

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely needs a thorough proof read., 15 Dec 2013
I saw the 4 stars on Amazon and went as far as to skim read the first review which sounded promising.

I wasn't even three pages in and I knew it was a clunker.

What put me off? The fact that the author wrote scolding instead of scalding. I decided to forgive this and continued. The turns of phrase favoured by the author were wordy and unnatural which made it difficult to follow and I quickly found myself getting bored by the dialogue.

The premise is probably good based on what other reviewers have said but I will confess I gave up at the end of the third chapter.

Several have mentioned that because it is a free book the author can be forgiven for his poor writing skills. I disagree. We as readers invest something more important than money when we read, we invest or free time and as such I expect more regardless of the price.

Zombies & Other Unpleasant Things
Zombies & Other Unpleasant Things

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite author, 12 Dec 2013
Wow! This book was a real page turner. I'd already read and enjoyed William Bebb's Zombie Trailer Park so when I saw this book I decided to give it a try. I would urge you to do the same. The stories are fast paced and well written with plenty of spots that made my heart beat faster. I won't go into details as I don't want to give away and plot details and will simply say this-get this book and you won't be disappointed!

Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London

5.0 out of 5 stars The best zombie novel I've read this year!, 3 Dec 2013
Wow! Frank Tayell really knows how to tell a story. The main character whose journal we read tells a vivid story of survival. The twist at the end made me all the more excited for the sequel which thankfully is due out soon. Well worth a read.

Colony Z: The Island (Vol. 1)
Colony Z: The Island (Vol. 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars One dimensional, 1 Dec 2013
I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy this story.I thought the premise showed promise but it was let down by a style of writing that seemed almost childish. The characters lacked depth and I actually hoped that the girl would turn out to be a zombie and finish them all off! The plot holes are frustrating and left me feeling annoyed but I persevered hoping it might improve. It really didn't.
I then decided to look into whether there were any follow ups and there are three, all of which are in my opinion, over priced considering they are less than 150 pages each. In addition, the reviews of the books look fake since one reviewer reviewed all of them on the same day in August while the other did the same but in November. Who actually reviews every book they download let along a whole series in one day??

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5