Profile for Robbie Swale > Reviews

Quality Gents Black Leather Wallet and Card Case
Quality Gents Black Leather Wallet and Card Case
Offered by Supreme Leather

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with a faulty description., 12 Sep 2014
This is a nice wallet, but as a lot of other people say, it didn't come with the plastic card holder.

It feels and smells like genuine leather; it has a change pocket with a press-stud to close it, three card slots (on the left on the picture) with space for at least two cards in each if you want. It has two note pockets, one open and one which zips close.

It has one further pocket which is hard to see in the picture, a slot in behind the credit card slots. I like these pockets - it's where I keep my coffee shop loyalty cards and things like that - and it's a bit of a shame there isn't one behind the change pocket.

The wallet closes securely with a press-stud.

The only real complaint is that the description is shakey, but I can live with that as it's a fairly cheap wallet, and seems to be of good quality.

Vans Mens Atwood LP Low-Top VSEUC5U Textile/Black/Stone 10 UK, 44.5 EU
Vans Mens Atwood LP Low-Top VSEUC5U Textile/Black/Stone 10 UK, 44.5 EU

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice shoes but not as nice a colour as it looks, 17 Aug 2014
I ended up returning these shoes as I didn't like the colour as much when I had them as I did in the picture. When I had them on they appeared slightly brown, rather than the black/stone described...

Other than that, they are nice shoes, as you would expect from vans.

Get Hurt
Get Hurt

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra few pounds for the extra tracks…, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
When there’s a deluxe edition, what you want to know is: is it worth the extra tracks? I spent the extra few pounds to get the deluxe version, and my feeling is that it is. None of the three ‘bonus’ tracks has the immediacy or energy of Rollin’ and Tumblin’ or the awesomeness of the slow-burning Get Hurt, but they are on a par with the rest of the album. So I’d say, if you’re already a Gaslight fan, trying to work out which way to go, get the extra tracks. If you’re new to TGA, and think the extra charge is too much, then it is a marginally more complete album, as you’d expect, without the tracks, and you get all the “hits” without the deluxe version.

Overall, I don’t want to give too much of a verdict, as Gaslight Anthem albums almost always grow on me massively, but I’m really enjoying it so far – for me it has the best high-tempo songwriting from TGA since The ’59 Sound, and although the lyrics perhaps aren’t as profound for me as on that album or Handwritten, there are some gems in there, like when Brian growls “I have pills for this, and tabs for that, and something that used to resemble a soul.”

So my suggestion would be get it, and unless you’re really stuck for money, get this version.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 9.8 Feet/3.0 m Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Newest Standard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy, 7 Aug 2014
Easy as anything - got it, unpacked it, and my laptop is clearly and crisply displayed on my TV screen. Can't argue with this at all.

Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16GB USB Flash Drive - Black
Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16GB USB Flash Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 10 Jun 2014
I know it's a bit silly to say something as simple as a memory stick is really good, but this is spot on. It's big (memory wise), it has a nice cover for the end (one that you don't have to faff with a lid for or anything like that), and it doesn't feel like it will fall apart. Indeed, it hasn't and I've had it for six months!

Daughters of Rome (Rome 2)
Daughters of Rome (Rome 2)
by Kate Quinn

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read and a good page turner, but lacked the depth to truly engage me..., 10 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thoroughly enjoyed Mistress of Rome, but found this (written after and set before) slightly less satisfying. But Kate Quinn does spin a good tale.

Set in AD 69 as the Imperial purple changes hands not just once, not just twice, not even just thrice (don't worry, that's not much of a spoiler - 'The Year of the Four Emperors' is plastered all over this book!), the author takes us on the journey of four women (sisters and cousins) in one of Rome's most turbulent periods. There is some intrigue, some romance, some violence and plenty of historical detail and context.

And it's a readable book - I zipped through it in a week or so, and didn't begrudge the time I spent on it. No boredom here. But for me, this doesn't have the depth that I thought Mistress of Rome carried. I didn't quite care about the characters enough, I didn't quite find the romance romantic enough. One of the real challenges about writing historical fiction set around a really interesting historical time - and this is definitely that - is finding the balance between telling the history and setting a great story around it. For me, Kate Quinn misses that balance slightly here, perhaps having too much history to cram in (and perhaps having one or two too many main characters) to generate the engagement with her story.

But, for all that, it's definitely fun.

Constellations
Constellations

5.0 out of 5 stars Moulettes' best album yet, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Constellations (Audio CD)
How do you capture the truly spectacular feeling of one of the best live bands on the circuit - and that's what Moulettes are - on record? That's the question I've been asking myself since I first stumbled across them at Purbeck Folk Festival in 2011. What do you do if you have a live atmosphere which can delight 'traditional' folkies and those who are have more recently followed Mumford and Sons into the nu-folk scene, as well as bring a smile from pretty much any music-lover through exquisite musicianship, haunting songwriting and buckets of charm? Well, it feels felt pretty much impossible. And much as I enjoyed, for example, Moulettes' last album, The Bear's Revenge - and I loved it - somehow the recording didn't quite capture the live performance magic of Songbird, or the sheer joy that comes from seeing the beautiful (and at times high speed) harmonies of Unlock The Doors in person.

So, what is the answer? What have Moulettes come up with?

Well, the answer is that they have created a truly spectacular record. The scale is much larger, with their 'Moulchestra' (featuring representatives from the Unthanks and Mystery Jets among others) and the production bringing a fuller sound to the album, and also a feeling that something really special is going on. The list of distinguished musicians here brings even more variety to a band who have made variety - in instruments, sounds and songs - one of their standout features.

Whilst the truth is that the depth of this record is such that I know I will continue to hear more and more over the weeks and months, I can still pick out two favourite tracks. First is the musically and lyrically uplifting Glorious Year, which brings a hug of optimism from the first refrain of 'It will be a glorious year/I can feel it in my fingers'. But my favourite so far is the wonderful waltz, The Night is Young, with a tiptoeing opening sweeping into a magical chorus, which captures so perfectly the glorious tragedy of the end of a relationship. That, perhaps, is my last word: lyrically, this is my favourite of all Moulettes' work.

And whilst I can't be sure that they won't top the recordings of these songs in one of their amazing live shows, I can be sure that this is a superb record, and that if anything in this review tickles you, you should snap it up. Life, after all, is for living.

Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd forgotten what a page turner Shardlake is..., 2 Jun 2014
This was a great read, jam-packed with action, suspense and rich, historical detail.

It has been a few years since I last read a Shardlake book before I picked this one up, and I wish I'd done it sooner. It's set several years after Shardlake's last outing, and the truth is I'd forgotten how much I love these books.

Shardlake is a great character: nice enough to make you care, flawed enough to keep you interested. In this story - as he heads to Portsmouth amid the threat of a French invasion - there is a little extra introspection thrown in, and there are some lovely changes to Shardlake's relationship with Barak. But of course it's really all about the plot, and what I'd forgotten is what a compulsive story C J Sansom tells. I was swiftly drawn in and enjoyed this enormously, start to finish.

The plot is strong, the historical detail creates a rich tapestry which never steals focus, and the mysteries will keep you guessing just the right amount.

A big thumbs up from me.

Live At Benaroya Hall With The Seattle Symphony
Live At Benaroya Hall With The Seattle Symphony
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly awesome live album..., 21 May 2014
This is a great buy, whether you have all Brandi's records or are new to her music; it showcases her superb songs and songwriting, and that amazing voice, which even if it isn't instantly recognisable or distinct, is exciting in its range, power and raw feeling.

When you buy live albums, you never know what you're going to get. It can be anything from a slightly scratchier version of the records to something totally different to what you have heard on record to a spine-tingling experience which makes you wish 100% that you were there. This album is both the second and third of those!

I was confident - from the reviews and the fact that it was her playing with an orchestra - that this wouldn't be rubbish, but I doubted other claims that this was in fact her best recording. But having listened to it (and then pressed 'play' many more times) I think it is truly terrific. I only had The Story and Bear Creek, so most of the songs on here (other than the covers and the tracks off The Story) were new to me. And discovering those songs was only part of the pleasure.

From start to finish this is a great record: the songs are all gorgeous recordings of a band and singer on fire, the cover versions are fresh and involving (from a haunting version of Science of Silence sung by the Hanseroth twins to a version of Hallelujah which has, after much thought, become my favourite, surpassing Jeff Buckley for the pure feeling that Brandi brings to it) and the crowd and pre-song chat bring out the charm of what must have been a really special night.

For the most part the orchestra add an extra dimension, and definitely bring an added depth to the songs for the most part (although this is not always totally successful, where for instance very little is added by the string section in The Story).

But overall this is what you would expect if you own any of Brandi Carlile's albums: it's excellent songwriting, simple but beautiful music, and the singing of someone who makes you feel what they feel. What comes across from the record is what a consummate performer Brandi must be, and explains the commitment and truth in her songs.

Totally recommended.

Filofax Pocket Week on 2 Pages 2014 Diary
Filofax Pocket Week on 2 Pages 2014 Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite refills..., 21 May 2014
My favourite refill is the week on two pages - it gives space to write something in every day, but doesn't make the filofax too fat. This one does that, as usual.

Also, it is an official filofax refill, matching the ones I'd bought in previous years from WH Smith. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't cheaper given that it's part way through the year, but the seller sent it really fast (it arrived well within the amount of time suggested - just a couple of days later). In fact, it came first class, just in an envelope with a normal stamp!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20