Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Worst Street in London
The Worst Street in London
by Fiona Rule

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction to Spitalfields, but a missed opportunity by the author, 6 Nov. 2014
I was unsure about purchasing this book as some reviews criticised the writing. As the book went on, it is certainly not perfect. Fiona Rule's descriptive vocabulary is limited; words like "salubrious," "mean" and "overcrowded" crop up again and again. Words in one sentence are immediately repeated in another. London as both a surname and as a city crops up at one point, with the author seemingly oblivious to the confusion of its interchangeable meaning.

There are times when the book feels padded out with unnecessary historical context (immigration to Australia, various facts about France during WWI), which are then barely, if at all, brought back to Spitalfields and why this information is relevant. For the last third of the book, it seems time stands still in this location: houses are overcrowded, the conditions are bad, and the author struggles to tell much about it.

Even the chapters are comically short, often at 2-3 pages. A more accomplished author would have been able to write longer chapters with greater themes and scene-setting.

Readers will struggle to even find where Dorset Street is on a map in the book - the maps included give no clear indication and it is only until the penultimate pages is a clearer map provided. It seems a missed opportunity. Indeed, by the end of the book I still didn't really feel I got a strong sense of what Dorset Street looked like. Fiona Rule does little to evoke the senses through her writing, something much needed when there are so few surviving pictures or photographs.

Overall, if you are looking for an introduction to this area, I think it is a worthy purchase and a springboard to finding other books that go into depth on key areas you find interesting.

A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy
A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy
by Diana Henry

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure whether it will stand the test of time, 31 May 2014
I've loved Diana's books and it was intrigued by this one's concept. On first read, few of the recipes sung to me and there seemed to be quite a few ingredients that required a special purchase (perhaps one of the downfalls of 'healthy' cooking).

The recipes I have tried have gone down really, however, and I suspect the Autumn-Winter recipes will be more my sort-of thing than the summer ones. On that note, I should add the decision to lay the book out by season is both helpful and unhelpful - sometimes you just want a chapter on different salads or meat recipes. Still, the book is very well produced and her writing is as good as ever.

The Farm
The Farm
by Tom Rob Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Farm (Hardcover)
It's an interesting premise for a novel, but didn't quite grab me. I never really warmed to the characters, and the conclusion felt somewhat rushed.

Worth a Marketplace purchase, perhaps, but it's not a book I'd pass on to others.

Le Creuset Stoneware Heart Casserole with Lid, 26 cm - Cerise
Le Creuset Stoneware Heart Casserole with Lid, 26 cm - Cerise

5.0 out of 5 stars I heart it, 31 May 2014
This was my first purchase of Le Creuset, and have used it many times over the last six months.

As it is stoneware it cannot be used on the hob - which would have made it more practical - but its great for slow-cooked stews and sauces, and will look great on the table.

It is large (it can fit about 4 chicken thighs in its base) and I keep it displayed on the hob. It's a great colour, and washes brilliantly.

A very worthy process, and at a fair price, in my opinion.

Green & Black's Ultimate: Chocolate Recipes: The New Collection
Green & Black's Ultimate: Chocolate Recipes: The New Collection
by Micah Carr-Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 2 Nov. 2013
On first impressions, the book was much smaller than expected at little more than A5, rather than the chunky coffee table tome I had anticipated.

Still, the book is beautiful with great art design and pictures. Of course, it's the recipes that count and as I flicked through I realised every one was something I'd happily like to try and make - and eat! There were lots of things I hadn't heard of or seen recreated elsewhere.

The book is intended as a gift, and think it will be received well. I also intend to get a copy myself!

Sweetcorn Ornamental Fiesta 50 seeds- unusual
Sweetcorn Ornamental Fiesta 50 seeds- unusual

2.0 out of 5 stars No instructions, 31 Oct. 2013
The seeds arrived with no instructions or photo, just the name of the seed. I'm giving them as part of a gift and, present or not, I now have to find appropriate instructions on how and when to sow them.

Though the seeds look ok and will hopefully flourish, I would't use this company again, especially as I received seeds for the same price for another with all the info I needed.

Beet Leaf Swiss Chard Rainbow 400 seeds - bright and colorful veg
Beet Leaf Swiss Chard Rainbow 400 seeds - bright and colorful veg

2.0 out of 5 stars No instructions, 31 Oct. 2013

I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes
I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes
by Daniel Humm

2.0 out of 5 stars I Love NY - but I didn't love this book., 16 Oct. 2013
I love cookbooks and have many on my shelves, some I thumb through constantly and some I have never cooked from but hope to one day or they at least inspire me in some way. With I Love New York, I felt the book wouldn't find itself in either camp and so I returned it.

It is an expensive book and though great to look at, the recipes are limited and hampered by the A-Z format. Rather than "things for breakfast" or "new york-style pizzas" or even themed by China Town, Brooklyn etc, the recipes are ordered by a selection of ingredients that supposedly best sum up New York. Those who are thinking of the capital may be disappointed since the book instead veers much more towards the countryside and farmlands of the wider state.

When browsing through a cookbook it helps to have an understanding of order and knowing vaguely in which section the kind of thing you're looking for will lie. With I Love NY, each ingredient veers from desert to drink to condiment to dinner. For me, it didn't work.

With so many great NY/US-inspired cook books, I'd look elsewhere.

Snowflakes and Schnapps
Snowflakes and Schnapps
by Jane Lawson

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with room for improvement, 16 Oct. 2013
If you're looking for a cookery book that conjures up Winter goodness and festivities, you could do far worse than turn to Jane Lawson's book. The author really evokes the pleasures of cooking inspired by a chilly climate.

As noted by other reviewers, the book's main downfall is it's lack of description regarding each recipe. I had read this criticism before purchasing and didn't think much of it, but now I see how it does affect the book. Though there are some beautiful pictures, you sometimes find yourself scanning the ingredients to work out exactly either what the recipe is, or what it tastes like.

Given that Jane opens with a lovely, creative introduction, it's clear she certainly doesn't lack the writing prowess so it does seem odd for the recipes to omit any description about their origin or explanation as to why readers should try them and for what occasion.

The recipes themselves look tasty and inspiring, even if as the book goes on the technical ability and time required seems to increase. Those just looking for a cosy stew may balk at the mention of a carrot jus.

Personally this book is an expensive purchase at £16 for recipes I suspect I won't cook from, but a marketplace purchase of a fiver was a great deal and certainly worth it.

Programmed to Love
Programmed to Love
Offered by marxwax

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., 21 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
After hearing all the great reviews for this album, and falling in love with Swollen, I was expecting great things. Ideas of Goldfrapp-esque were obviously my downfall.
Though the album has its moments, once you've heard the gorgeous Swollen, I couldn't help but think "What went wrong then?!"
Give it a shot if you see it cheap...

Page: 1 | 2