Profile for Green River > Reviews

The Man Who Planted Trees
by Jean Giono
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Mildly archaic gem, 1 May 2014
Beautiful story which is, alas, just that - fiction! However it is also an inspirational piece of literature and, as such, will help to drive modern moves for regreening the planet and especially the reafforestation of today's upland deserts, resultant from centuries of overgrazing by sheep and goats.

Green Illusions: The Dirty Secrets of Clean Energy and the Future of Environmentalism (Our Sustainable Future)
by Ozzie Zehner
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyday illusions clearly debunked, 1 May 2014
Great and realistic expose of Green Delusions by Ozzie zehner and well worth getting a copy to run through his analyses. Look, I'm a deep green conservation activist and I've long seen the crass nature of the industrialisation of environmental rescue. The two do not mix in any rational manner. Ossie looks at this dichotomy in this book, with excellent exemplars and a good view to the future.

Desire [Vinyl]
Desire [Vinyl]
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Desire [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
You will never regret owning this superb collection of roughly wrought songs, dripping with emotion each and every one. And, as an added bonus, you can bask in knowing John Peel first flagged it up to me as a veritable jewel.

Immunobiology: The Immune System in Health and Disease
Immunobiology: The Immune System in Health and Disease
by Charles Janeway

5.0 out of 5 stars IMMUNOBIBOLOGY, 15 Sep 2012
It's all here, every word of this gospel is clear, well researched, well reported and mostly wholly irrelevant to human health care. It is the profound detail of a monstrous trek up a blind alley. But, hey, it keeps folk employed and, I guess they could somehow be turned in the right direction. I'm still working on that one. Enjoy!

Vanishing of the Bees [DVD] [2009]
Vanishing of the Bees [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Maryam Henein
Offered by Dogwoof Ltd.
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the buzz, 15 Sep 2012
"The most fast moving, productive era, when mankind has surpassed all previous expectations and surged forward to achieve seemingly near total control over the world and its resources" could well be the ironic epitaph placed on grave of the last bee.

This film chronicles the path that has led to a situation where I could even imagine bee extinction as a possibility whilst there's still life on this planet. It makes a sobering viewing talking of inexplicable colony loss on the back of modern industrial agriculture and industrialised bee-keeping.

All is not yet lost but it's noy yet resolved, either. Watch this for an update and to point your thinking in a bee friendly way (if it ain't already!)

Wheat Belly
Wheat Belly
by William Davis MD

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanity in the age of obesity., 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Hardcover)
I grew up in the seventies eating a gluten free diet. My mother got it from F.Curtis Dohan that the Coeliac diet was good for schizophrenia, too. My dad had that diagnosis and so the whole family went on the diet to avoid stigma, complications and, probably, "just in case"!

As an adult I have sympathised with the idea but had drifted back to a wheated diet although have always had a healthy lifestyle - walking, yoga, swimming. Nine months ago, cross I could no longer do some of the exercises I dropped wheat and gluten containing grains and tried to lower all other carbohydrates. My weight and bulk had crept up to around 14 stone. Since that time I've lost about a stone and speed walk long distances. Plus I've got my yoga back and improved upon it.

Two days ago I found this book and it provides all the rationales for my experience, quotes F.Curtis Dohan and adds a lot I'd not thought about. In my jigsaw of life, this is the previously missing puzzle piece.

I so stronly recommend it to utterly everyone who ever thinks about their own or any other's health.

An absolute must to read AND to follow.