Profile for Dr. H. L. Fletcher > Reviews

Content by Dr. H. L. Fletcher

Dr. H. L. Fletcher (Belfast)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Logitech C920 USB HD Pro Webcam with Auto-Focus and Microphone Black
Logitech C920 USB HD Pro Webcam with Auto-Focus and Microphone Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent group mike and zoom camera for on-line chatting., 14 Dec 2014
This works perfectly and was easy to set up in XP or W7 (read the instructions). It has an app to control its area of view, that is it can collect part of the visible picture. It can be zoomed out, and directed up, down, and sideways, so you don't have to sit at a particular hieght to be centred. It also has the ability to track your face, so you don't have to sit still either. This is the conference version so it has stereo mikes and can both view and pick up sound from a group of people, ideal for family get-togethers at Christmas, or business meetings. There is another model with a single directions microphone for a single person and reduced background noise.

Netgear A6100 Wi-Fi USB Mini Adapter
Netgear A6100 Wi-Fi USB Mini Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device., 13 Dec 2014
This works perfectly to connect a bedroom computer to a downstairs router. Easy to set up and connect, no trouble at all. I haven't tried to test the range.

Garmin eTrex 30 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 30 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and helps to take out the guesswork., 21 Oct 2014
I really do like my etrex30. Carrying this I can always tell where I am and see a local map, which makes it easy to work out which way to go. Even on simple walks in a new area it is easy to decide whether to go right or left at a fork, and saves the extra miles needed to get back to a recognisable landmark. I have also used it to find my way around London streets, but it is too small to use while driving, so you need a navigator in a car. For the health concious it also tells you how long, far, and fast you have walked, climbed and descended, as well as how long you stopped. Detailed analysis is possible on the built-in track analyser but easier to see and edit on Basecamp, free Garmin software. I have installed a microSD card and find it best to store individual tracks on it. It is then worthwhile to reset all track data at the start of a walk so eack track is specific. Before doing this I accumulated several hundred miles of walk, boat and car track across Ireland, Scotland and England, which made it a bit more difficult to find the bits iI wanted. I was able to take out the walks and make individual tracks using Basecamp. I use free maps and have Freizeitekarte_GBR and Freizeitekarte_IRL enabled. This is only because these were the ones Garmin map installer software preferred. I have loaded OSM street map too. One thing to watch, when it is switched on it starts recording, so the best way to track individual events is to switch it off between events. Switch it on and let it find sattelites then reset current track as you start your adventure. It will have your position leaping around as it firsts detects individual sattelites, and you really will need to delete that. Once fixed it will detect you crossing from side to side in a narrow lane. It gets a bit jittery in a broadleaved forest but keeps the track to withing a few metres, correcting itself as you move along. If you switch it off while travelling then switch it on without resetting the current track it draws a straight line from the last known point to the current one.
You do need to read the instructions and play with it to get the best from it, although you can track yourself well enough just using reset between walks and viewing the trip computer to monitor progress. Having said all this, it is still a good idea to have a look at the whole route on a map before you start, and in some terrains and weather your life may depend on it. If I was in a snowy white-out, or pitch darkness, then I would prefer the etrex to a map and compass. Even well signposted walks sometimes fail at cross-paths in the middle of featureless woods or heaths.

Trend GRABSE1SE Damaged Screw Remover Set
Trend GRABSE1SE Damaged Screw Remover Set

5.0 out of 5 stars This works well if you are carefull, 21 Oct 2014
This works!! I used it to extract rusted screws to replace a hinge on a double glazed window light. I found that I needed to use the first tool (to create a conical hole) for longer than I expected. Then I inserted the "grabber". I found that the reverse on my drill was too violent and wrenched the grabber free. On my second attempt I kept the drill off and turned the chuck backwards by hand, which gave more control, while pushing hard on the drill. This worked perfectly. Once started, the screw came out easily.

5 Star Half Pencil Wooden Half-length HB Plain Ref 28STK032 [Pack of 144]
5 Star Half Pencil Wooden Half-length HB Plain Ref 28STK032 [Pack of 144]
Offered by STUART MANUFACTURING CO LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pencils., 21 Oct 2014
Thgese were for a wedding quiz to keep guests busy during the breakfast. Good pencils.

Rear Gunner Pathfinders (Witness to War)
Rear Gunner Pathfinders (Witness to War)
by Ron Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars but this is a similar account of flying across wartime Europe in the miniscule rear-facing gun turret of a bomber and just as go, 21 Oct 2014
I bought this by mistake, I was looking for "Tail Gunner", but this is a similar account of flying across wartime Europe in the miniscule rear-facing gun turret of a bomber and just as good, but slighly less catastrophic.

The Tailypo: A Ghost Story (Clarion books)
The Tailypo: A Ghost Story (Clarion books)
by Joanna Galdone

4.0 out of 5 stars This was my little daughter's favourite library book, 21 Oct 2014
This was my little daughter's favourite library book, so I gave her a copy as a wedding present. The phrase "Tailypo Tailypo" said in as sinistre was as possible is a standing joke in our family. This is a grusome fairy tale of justice or revenge, but all implicit, there are no gruesome details. Childred may love or hate it. It is probably a bit much for parents of the nanny state.

Animals Without Backbones : Volumes 1 & 2
Animals Without Backbones : Volumes 1 & 2
by RALPH BUCHSBAUM

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is a great readable account of all the very small animals in ..., 21 Oct 2014
The book is a great readable account of all the very small animals in our world, and the bigger ones that don't have backbones. Very good for any fans of Attenborough-type programmes who wants to know about the many more smaller things that don't make such good telly. Good insight for budding Biologists and anyone interested in things that might make them very ill, especially when on holliday in hot damp countries. Unfortunately I only got volume 1, which was the only volume the seller had.

Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
by Richard C. Rivaz

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a spectacular account of stoicism and duty in the face of great danger., 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Tail Gunner (Hardcover)
I read an original when I was young. It is a spectacular account of stoicism and duty in the face of great danger.

Plastic Tubing 4mm Clear 30 Metre Roll
Plastic Tubing 4mm Clear 30 Metre Roll
Offered by COSTWISE GROUP

5.0 out of 5 stars tough stuff, long and hollow., 18 Oct 2013
This was exactly what I reqiuired fo transparent plastic tubing. It arrived tightly coiled in a tough padded envelope. Stuff I put in one end comes out of the other. It is just what I wanted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3