Profile for M. M. Jedlicka > Reviews

Where Women are Kings
Where Women are Kings
by Christie Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars All right, but a bit of a slog. (spoilers), 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Where Women are Kings (Hardcover)
Without giving anything away, I think the book was good, the story was very moving, but I felt disappointed at the end after everything the author dragged me through as a reader. I didn't feel the end was necessary to the story. That's all I'll say. It's emotionally heavy stuff, some descriptions and dialogue laborious, not always effective but still, a good story I loved Tiny Sunbirds, so perhaps that set me up with higher expectations. Maybe this was too ambitious, I don't know. I won't avoid her next novel, but I suppose I'll squash any preconceptions.

Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this gem, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm writing from Australia and the last episode just screened last Thursday.
Derek is brilliant. Each episode is a statement on the value of life, respect for people, and the potential for kindness. You see annoyance between characters, but also the deeper commitment of acceptance. I have read the negative reviews-and I suppose this review is a response and I have to disagree. In my mind, the show isn't about all Derek and whatever his disability might be. To take issue with his representation misses the point. He's neutral foil for everybody else, without vices, vulnerable and he reflects everybody else's foibles. Frankly, you have to focus on the show as a piece, not TV entertainment. Ricky Gervais has used the medium as a venue for his feelings, especially about the elderly and those who can't speak for themselves. It's not the Office and it's not Extras and certainly not a feature film. More than one episode-especially that last one, has lurched at my insides and I'm crying. Talking about hard human issues without apology, Gervais has outdone himself. Thanks Ricky.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2015 5:31 PM GMT