Profile for Rosslock > Reviews

Juliet, Naked
Juliet, Naked
by Nick Hornby

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted time indeed, 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
I have liked a book or two by Nick Hornby, and picked this one up whilst on holiday. The book asks questions about wasting time and whether you can get things back on track, and I certainly wondered that myself having finished this book. The time that is, that I had wasted reading this.

I get the message, and what Mr Hornby is trying to say. But he is doing it with characters that I found boring, self centered and utterly un-engaging. (Apart from Jackson that is, who seemed a very well developed and highly intelligent 6 year old considering...)

The style of writing is 'light', and you are being told what is happening rather than finding out through dialogue between characters. Ultimately I could see no point in this book, the story did not engage me at all (I kept reading hoping against hope something would happen) but ultimately felt disappointed, and felt I had wasted my time. Luckily this book is quite thin, so I did not waste all that much time.

Sorry Nick, not your best, far from it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2014 8:18 AM BST

The Left Hand of God
The Left Hand of God
by Paul Hoffman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Left Hand of God (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do like good fantasy. Unfortunately this isn't it. There has been an influx of new fantasy writers recently, some good (Joe Abercrombie for example) but also much not so good. Like this.
A badly constructed story. Unlikelable characters. Too much coincidence and a very predictable plotline all make for one disappointing fantasy novel.
Not for me.

The Clumsies Make A Mess (The Clumsies, Book 1)
The Clumsies Make A Mess (The Clumsies, Book 1)
by Sorrel Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, but fun, 17 Sept. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very weird book. Talking Mice, miniature elephants in closets, you wonder what the author had for dinner before writing this. As an adult I found it all a bit 'loose', IE there seemed no sense or reason behind the story - how come the mice can talk, how did a miniature elephant get into a closet at work, things an adult would want to know - but I guess the intended audience is children and my 4 year old son seems to like it. Although I must say he also is asking questions now that he has thought about it.
Very random.

Weird World: Bugs
Weird World: Bugs
by Kathryn SMITH

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for bug loving kids, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Weird World: Bugs (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book as my young son loves anything to do with creepy crawlies (Why I don't know, I can't bear them) and boy does he love this book! Great pop-ups, good information and in no way patronising its young audience, bug-loving kids will love this.

Under Heaven
Under Heaven
by Guy Gavriel Kay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but oh so slow, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Under Heaven (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked the story and concept of this book. But please be aware, this book is purely about political manouvering, this is not really a swords and battles type book. And it is slow, very very slow.
But if you like a good story line, well thought out characters and political intrigue, this could be for you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2011 5:16 PM BST

Farlander
Farlander
by Col Buchanan

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Farlander (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like fantasy, and read a lot of it. This is not up there with the best. The characters are bland and unengaging, the story not very exciting. I think it really was a lack of empathy/sympathy for the main characters that let this book down for me.
Also not helped by the fact I received a non-edited proof copy from the Vine programme, and it had lots and lots of spelling mistakes and typos in it which interrupted the flow of the story.

eMedia Guitar Master (PC/Mac)
eMedia Guitar Master (PC/Mac)
Offered by TnsDealsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock on!, 16 July 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent product for starting guitar players. Easy to follow videos and instructions, a clear structure to the lessons and handy tips on guitar tuning, amp settings etc. It has you playing within minutes.;
Very good.

Valhalla Rising [DVD]
Valhalla Rising [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, just terrible, 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Valhalla Rising [DVD] (DVD)
Now, I am quite tolerant of movies of this genre, as I do like a bit of sword & axe, blood & guts type action. So, I started watching this with high expectations, seeing as it features a guy with a big sword on the front cover surrounded by a horde of Vikings getting ready for battle. Also, the back synopsis said something like `and when they get to the holy land he finally unleashes the evil within' or something like that.
So, I was expecting the lead actor to be involved in lots of fighting with big swords surrounded by hordes of other Vikings fighting native forces, with a grand finale where he goes berserk or something like that and kills loads of people.
Instead I got almost 2 hours of groups of men (not a single woman in this movie) mainly standing/sitting/hanging around doing absolutely NOTHING, and saying even less! If I got a pound for every word uttered in this movie, in the words of a large supermarket chain `every little helps!'. I got a sum total of 3 fights, 2 of which were one-on-one and 1 of which was 1-against-3. Admittedly the fights were very `gory' but no massive battles with hordes of Vikings. Fighting on a LOTR-The Two Towers' scale, this is not. And with regards to the `unleashing the evil within' bit, that is the final fight where the main guy kills 3 of his compatriots, all over in 2 seconds. And as far as the picture on the cover, the guy never even touches a sword, he fights using his hands or a small battle axe.
This is really a terrible movie. I really cannot say it plainer than that.

Sigh No More
Sigh No More
Offered by Bridge_Records

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, thats for sure, 10 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Sigh No More (Audio CD)
A first experience of Folk, I guess, for many people due to the airtime these guys are getting. This is also true for me, and I liked what I heard so got the album. Highlights for me though are the singles, and having played this album a few times now some of the songs, and the singing is starting to 'grate' a little, and starting to sound a bit 'samey'.
I also think this band is riding the wave of success created by Fleet Foxes last year. I had similar issues with them, in that I enjoyed the songs played on the radio, but the album soon lost its appeal.

This is very different though to the usual stuff you hear on the radio, good on them to getting the airplay. And I would suggest buying this if you are ready to push your musical bounderies somewhat.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2012 6:37 PM BST

Broken Bells
Broken Bells
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Very chilled, 10 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not my usual cup of tea, (not enough guitars!) but very enjoyable nonetheless. I was familiar with the hit 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley, and so technically was familiar with one half of this duo through a hit he had as half of another duo! (Never heard of 'the shins'...)
I wouldn't say this is ground breaking stuff, in fact it reminds me very strongly of a compilation album called 'chilled' I have. Its nice, relaxed beats with changing vocals, adding a bit of variety.
Perfect for my morning commute, probably a bit bland for any other time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12