Profile for Rosslock > Reviews

Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler
Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and effective heavy-duty stapler, 2 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy to use stapler that seems to cope with stapling large numbers of sheets together. It looks neat and stylish (for a stapler), mine has some nice orange detailing on it. My only concern would be the plastic top, which feels a bit flimsy and I'm not sure how it would cope with accidentally falling off my desk (which to be fair hasn't happened yet).

A good, stylish and effective product which fits in nicely with my home office set-up.

Great Expectations [DVD] [2012]
Great Expectations [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Helena Bonham Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK, 27 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a fan of the 1947 version starring the great John Mills as Pip, I started watching this with 'mixed expectations'. And to be fair, it was ok. Helena Bonham Carter is a pretty good Mrs Haversham, and she revels in a role that seems to fit right in with her back catalogue of playing quirky and non-confomist characters.
The actor playing Pip was largely forgettable, and I also was slightly disappointed with Ralph Fiennes, normally so watchable.
So, in summary: Its OK, but not a patch on the 1947 version.

Interventions: A Life in War and Peace
Interventions: A Life in War and Peace
by Kofi A. Annan

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but am frustrated by it!, 9 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can I say about this book that other reviewers haven't said already? It is a great book about the internal workings of the UN, and particularly Kofi Annan's role whilst at the helm of this great (in theory) organisation. I firmly believe in the UN. I firmly believe there is a need for an organisation of its' kind. And I firmly believe Kofi Annan did all he can to make this organisation have a meaningful and effective brief. But, thats where he failed. The UN, in this book, comes across as an ineffective and beaurocratic monster, slow to respond and when it does, it does so with its hands tied behind its back and therefore has little impact. Yes there are some success stories. But they are overshadowed by its many failures.

Politics, secret agendas of its member states and overall a shocking lack of humanity (not of Mr Annan, don't get me wrong, the man deserves huge credit for being an idealist in a world of politicians) but by the countries who are part of this organisation make this an organisation that needs to seriously look at how it response according to its brief.

Lets hope there will come a time where all parties who sit at the table of the UN overcome their internal battles, overcome their own agendas and truly work together to make this organisation what it was always meant to be: A light in the darkness for many, many people who need it.

Live (Chrome plated heart..)
Live (Chrome plated heart..)
Offered by groovyrecords3

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Unadultared rocking brilliance, 11 Jan. 2013
Not sure if this is the same CD that I bought back in the early 90s, as there is no track listing, but the cover looks the same. If it is, this is a live recording of Melissa in concert in LA and includes 4 tracks:

- Similar Features
- Chrome Plated Heart
- Bring me some Water
- Like the way I do

This is Melissa in her early days, I bought this as 'Like the way I do' was just in the charts and I came across this 'Live' mini EP. And boy, am I glad I did. The first 3 songs are performed brillianty, but the stand out track is the live version of 'Like the way I do'. It is a 10 minute rockfest, and Melissas' vocals are heart breakingly good. The song starts off slowly with an acoustic guitar playing the opening rhythm. The other instruments kick in when she sings the opening line and the song continues very much like the recorded version for the opening 2 verses. But then, it all slows down again with a instrumental bridge section that slowly strips back to the single acoustic guitar. Then, Melissa slowly starts her vocals again building it all back up again to the point where it all climaxes into the main chorus, and Melissa puts all her heart and soul into the opening chorus line 'Tell me does she love you'. The song than rocks out in magnificent style.

I honestly can not describe in words the sheer power and emotion of Melissas' vocals on this track. I must have listened to it a thousand times over the last 20 years and I still get goosebumps every single time. The best 'spur of the moment' purchase I have ever made and I honestly can not recommend this enough. This would be my 'Desert Island Disc' - the lady sure knows how to rock!

A Noble Cause
A Noble Cause
by J. Gregory Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, bit light, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: A Noble Cause (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A noble cause to me felt a bit 'light'. The story and plot in itself are OK, but don't expect any mindboggling twists and turns. The main character is a bit wet, and I found it hard to have any empathy for him.
Ok whilst I read it, but quite forgettable afterwards.

Varta 3W LED Indestructible Torch with 3C Battery
Varta 3W LED Indestructible Torch with 3C Battery

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a torch, 27 Sept. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this through the Vine program to review. Struggling a bit to write a detailed review of a torch, but here goes:
- It's a torch
- If you press the button, light comes out one end
- It's a nice size
- Seems quite robust (but have not done the 'give it to my 5 year old son' destruction test yet though....

Basically, it does what it says on the tin...

One Day [DVD] [2011]
One Day [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad acting, bad story, bad movie, 17 Sept. 2012
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Firstly, 2 things:
1 - I quite like romantic movies, counting when Harry met Sally in my top 10 for example!
2 - I haven't read the book this movie apparently was based on.

This movie really disappointed. The structure of it, where only later on you find out why the two main characters are so close that they become best friends and more, really doesn't work. Throughout the movie I sat there wondering why they were such good friends as what had gone before just really didn't add up. The fact that there was no chemistry whatsoever between the two leads didn't help, and especially the Jim Sturgess character was plain annoying. Maybe if I had read the book it may have made more sense, but surely a movie should be able to stand on its own, which in this case it didn't.
The whole thing was just a mismatch of movie cliches, and the acting itself was very bad, especially from Anne Hathaway (normally so reliable) and from the supporting cast as well. The ending was unnecessary, and felt as if a script writer threw this in because they realised the movie had not covered enough cliches already.
I really did not enjoy this, and neither did my fellow watchers. There was an audible groan from all of us at the line when they finally get their act together and Anne Hathaway says 'I thought I'd gotten rid of you'.
Lazy, badly constructed and written, and very badly acted.

The Candidate: What it Takes to Win - and Hold - the White House
The Candidate: What it Takes to Win - and Hold - the White House
by Samuel L. Popkin

3.0 out of 5 stars So this is what it takes..., 28 Aug. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are curious about what it takes to become the next president of the USA, this is a good place to start. Based upon the authors own experiences as a campaigner, this book documents all those issues that make a good campaign 'good', and on the flip side highlights the pitfalls that can make a campaign tether on the brink of disaster.
It will not come as a great surprise to readers with an interest in American Politics (or politics anywhere really), that a large amount depends on how the candidate is 'perceived', as opposed to the actual policies the candidate stands for. Marketing is the key word here, changing tactics depending on what state the candidate happens to be campaigning in.
Interesting if you like politics, but don't expect any great surprises.

Dinosaur (Multi Sounds Pop-ups - Igloo Books Ltd)
Dinosaur (Multi Sounds Pop-ups - Igloo Books Ltd)
by Igloo Books
Edition: Board book

4.0 out of 5 stars Roaring good fun!, 28 Aug. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely, if short, dinosaur action book. Great pop-outs and sound effects. And the text is almost lyrical in its' descriptions. My only negative comment is that at 5 pages it is just too short for a book that is this much fun for kids!

I Hunt Killers
I Hunt Killers
by Barry Lyga

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: I Hunt Killers (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I quite liked the premise of this book. Son of serial killer starts hunting serial killers using the knowledge gained from his traumatic upbringing. It was quite an entertaining read, with a good twist in the plot which also, conveniently, sets it up for future books in the series. It is well written and the characters are believable - although there are some dubious circumstances especially around the main characters living arrangements. But all in all quite enjoyable, and I will probably read the next one to see how things develop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12