Profile for paulrichardclark > Reviews

The Lexus and the Olive Tree
The Lexus and the Olive Tree
by Thomas L. Friedman

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lexus and the Olive Tree, 23 Dec. 2003
I found this to be a compelling and insightful read. Yes, much of the discussion is based on anecdote and conversations that the author has had throughout his career but I found this to be the most valuable aspect. He shows Globalisation to be what it really is, the unstoppable movement of the global herd - basically comprised of a group of disparate people connected through one huge market.
The best part of the book though has to be the conclusions that the author draws - that there is no one group/organisation that can be held responsible for 'globalisation', that this is the best wealth creating system that we have come up with but that we must better seek to reduce the impact on the least enfranchised in society if we are to continue along this path. Very timely bearing in mind current, and continuing, world events.
I highly recommend you take a look.

Power And Prosperity: Outgrowing Communi: Outgrowing Communist and Capitalist Dictatorships
by Olson

5.0 out of 5 stars Power and Prosperity, 23 Dec. 2003
I was fortunate enough to be guided to this book during my Masters course in Land Economy at Cambridge. Since then, I haven't stopped praising it to anyone that will listen and many that wouldn't.
It managed to completely change my outlook on the world, politics, the nature of the state and the way in which the world needs to progress. Amongst other things, you will find the explanation for the emergence of the state, the nature of monarchies, the reasons for the failure of communism and the ingredients for a successful economy.
A seminal piece of work that should be the first port of call for anyone interested in the world around them.
This is a must-read book.