Profile for Eclectichick > Reviews

Phil Wickham
Offered by BiblestoreUK
Price: 6.66

5.0 out of 5 stars This is probably the best Phil Wickham CD!, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Phil Wickham (Audio CD)
Like many people, I came across Phil Wickham through radio airplay of his song 'True Love' - I love that song and promptly bought 'Cannons' and a few months later ordered this CD also - and I think this is probably my favourite of all his CDs - I love the original lyrics, compositions and rawness of the lyrics and music. Definitely recommend.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite find of the year, 6 Nov 2012
I love listening to new music but it's rare that something just really grabs me where I just want to listen to it again and again - not just a background music, but really listen to. I just love this CD, it's so rich and evocative and it just makes me happy!

The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2
The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable sequel, missing this world already!, 6 Nov 2012
'The Passage' was definitely the best book I read this year: I was very excited about this book and I wasn't disappointed. I found it gripping, compelling and well-written. I think the only thing was it felt a bit short: but maybe that's just me being greedy and not wanting it to end? I personally didn't find the virals that creepy to begin with (in a horror way) - I thought what was more interesting about them was their human aspect - so Carter's innocence and the other eleven's depravity and how that translated to their viral form and I think that works well in this book also - therefore the criticism of others that the virals 'are just not scary anymore' seems massively irrelevant to me: I also think our familiarity with them reflects that of the characters' acceptance of the world they live in: where they have to function in this world full of horror but where that horror is increasingly knowable and even, to a degree, tameable.
I was surprised that a lot of the major plot threads were wrapped up in this book - I really thought some of the threads would run to the next book - this isn't a criticism, just saying that maybe some of the conclusions were a bit abrupt. However, this was, overall, satisfying for me as a reader because I was reading it knowing that there was another book to come and so I was worried that a lot of things would be left hanging. But there are still a lot of unanswered questions and Cronin has thrown in a few tantilising hints at big things emerging in the final installment. I am definitely looking forward to this and hoping it's not too long a wait!

Genus
Genus
Price: 5.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth 6.47!, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Genus (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book for 99p and I'm not sure it's worth even that! I am surprised at the glowing reviews of the major papers as I think this book is average at best. It's a bit cliche with its themes and I don't think it deals with them that adroitly. Having said that, I whizzed through it pretty quickly and it wasn't torturous to read - just not particularly exceptional and certainly not as amazing as the reviews make it seem.

The Ultimate Choice
The Ultimate Choice
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 25 Jun 2012
This is an awful book - badly written with shallow, underdeveloped and frankly vile main characters. Cassie is possibly one of the most annoying protagonists I have ever come across - I couldn't care less about what happened to her in the end. Premise of epic proportions but without the writing skills required to carry it. Some clumsy attempts at commentating on the shallowness of (a not-to-distant future) society make the whole thing worse. I am genuinely puzzled by the positive reviews!

A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones
A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones
by George R. R. Martin
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, have to get past some weak writing, 24 Jun 2012
I'm nearly all the way through this and it's a strange one - I've found the plot to be pretty engrossing and I'm enjoying the story. However, I do find myself having to overcome irritation at some of the writing and stylistic turns: why '"He/she could not pretend to surprise."? Why not "BE surprised"? The first time I came across this I thought it was a typo (there are a few of these too: "sim" instead of "sun", "suek" instead of "suck" etc) but no it appears this is just a phrase Martin likes to use - I find it strange and a little bit pretentious. Other phrases he is keen on and uses repeatedly are "she brushed her (auburn) hair until it shone." and "Ned grew tired of this intrigue." etc... Sometimes his descriptive writing is massively tedious as well - it's like he cannot introduce a character without first describing everything about them, and all their clothes and accessories as well. While this can be seen to add to a rich minds-eye visual tapestry, it is also a little bit annoying - I think the reader can be trusted to construct their own images! Okay, so that's a lot of moaning, why the four stars then? Well, I feel I am probably being a bit churlish by pointing out these minor irritations because I do think Martin had succeeded in creating an intriguing world and an absorbing plot. There are some things that puzzle - like why is it okay for a 13-year-old to have sex with prostitutes and kill etc but not okay to have a 14-year-old killed for political purposes because they are a "child" (bar other moral objections to this)? It seems the concept of childhood is a bit muddled in this world and therefore they gauge of ruthlessness is a bit arbitrary. But these don't get in the way of a generally overall entertaining book - I will definitely work my way through the rest as well.

Cannons
Cannons
Offered by re-vived
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 26 Feb 2009
This review is from: Cannons (Audio CD)
I first heard 'True Love' on an American radio station online - this is such an amazing song in itself, the wording is beautiful and really evocative. I was desiring some new music and decided to buy this album, and after listening to it only three times through so far, I am really pleased with the purchase. Phil has an amazing voice (a little bit Tim Hughes I think) and this album successfully combines a variety of styles, from the rockier tracks 'Must I Wait' and 'After Your Heart', to the bluesy/countryesque 'Sailing on a Ship' to the more worship oriented 'Jesus Lord of Heaven' and 'Cannons' and a couple of reflective ballads. This album is both a joy to listen to musically but is also an amazing tool for worship.

The Simpsons (Nintendo DS)
The Simpsons (Nintendo DS)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 19.90

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was good!, 19 Feb 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This was my first DS game after getting my console and I really enjoyed it. I am not a gamer so don't have much to compare it to, but I think it was just the right level of difficulty and the right length for people who like to dabble in games but are not hardcore! There are some points that are a bit irritating, like the umbrella/Ben Franklin game but I think there is a good variety of games and skills (because each character has different things they can do) and I would recommend this to people who want a good, quick, fun game!

Strong Tower
Strong Tower
Price: 11.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Sep 2008
This review is from: Strong Tower (Audio CD)
What a brilliant album! I had been considering buying a Kutless album for some time; after hearing 'All Of The Words' (on a 'Scrubs' episode no less!!) I Youtubed some of their other songs - imagine my joy when I realised the songs I most enjoyed ('Draw Me Close', Strong Tower', 'All Of The Words', an excellent cover of Chris Tomlin's 'We Fall Down', the original of which I possess, and to which it compares favourably) were all to be found on this one album. I was further pleasantly surprised when I saw there was a cover of the wonderful MercyMe song, 'Word Of God Speak', the original of which I have been enjoying on the radio - how nice to inadvertently own my own version! One song which threw me off guard was 'Take Me In' - what a blast from the past, reminds me of when I first became a Christian, but this version does not sound dated, although it retains its rather poignant, almost Gothic (not goth!) tones. I know some people have reservations about Kutless because of their heavy sound etc (I'm not one of them obv!), but this is primarily a worship album, and whilst it is definitely recognisable as Kutless, it is a contemplative album,that is both aurally pleasing and a valuable addition to a private worship collection.

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars This is really not a good book!, 26 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Paperback)
I approached this book with a determination to have an open mind - however, having previously read Brown's other book, 'Angels and Demons', which I found to be well, rubbish, this was probably never going to be achievable! I don't wish to condemn the book without at least trying to offer some reasons, so here goes:
-He tries to hint at things (such as something scandalous Sophie saw her grandfather doing) at an attempt to be compelling but it just ends up being irritating. By the time you find out, you've either worked it out yourself and/or just don't care anymore. Compare this with the effortless and successful way writers such as Stephen King do it and you realise how clumsy a writer Brown is.
-The description of every...little...thing! Do we really need to know how long the Louvre is, or what colour that partiular pebble is (he doesn't do this obv, but you get the idea!). I for one found this really patronising.
-Speaking of patronising - All knowing male characters reveal the 'truth' to wide-eyed, totally receptive (no doubts! no questions!) female.
-It cannot be avoided: his exploitation and misuse of 'facts' (His number of those killed during the witch-hunt is just one example)- although one can accept the poetic license argument, its still really, really irritaing!
Overall, I think the plot is interesting, although the twist is not really clever, and I found the last few pages almost unreadable (I skimmed them), but I think the main problem is that Brown is just not a good or skilled writer or storyteller. I think this book benefitted enormously from the controversial subject matter, otherwise I think it would have been destined for the bargain bin a long time ago!

Page: 1 | 2