Profile for George C. Oommen > Reviews

Content by George C. Oommen

George C. Oommen (London, UK)

Nokia Lumia 520, 8Gb, Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 520, 8Gb, Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Offered by Cheapest Electrical
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this review, 3 Oct 2013
I wanted to hate this product. I really did.

I hate Microstoft with a passion, and hate Nokia ever since I spent 600 on an N97 in 2008.

However, my iPhone 4s screen broke for the past 2 years, and I bought this phone to last a week while my screen was being replaced.

I was expecting to tolerate this crap phone, and have to comprimise on buying a bottom of the barrel phone. Imagine my surprsie then, despite the learning curve, within a day I actually started preferring it to iphone! It just felt more....natural... Like moving from motoralla or old nokia to iphone.

This 100 phone is to Apple, what a 1000 iPhone was to Nokia in 2007.

I had iphone 4 before that, an iPad, and a Mac enjoying the benefits of facetime, I thought I was an APple convert.

Im a techhie so it was easy to setup multiple inboxes, configure my start screen, sync all my google contacts within minutes. It can take a few days to get used to (tips back moves back, even between apps. Hold down back to switch apps, hold down an app to bring up a menu, move it around pin to taskbar etc, hold down the windows button for voice recognition).

Within minutes I downloaded gmaps (google maps), Spotify, Skype, viber, amazon, ebay, trainline, whats app etc. A couple of ommissions included citymapper, but that will come in time. It also doesnt have a front camera, as I can tell. But its lighter than an iphone 4 and faster than an iphone 5.

For an early implementation, this is incredible.

-Apple were the underdog in 2007. Today, thats Nokia.
-Apple had a limited market share and platform in 2007 Today, thats Nokia.
-In 2007 APples phones cost 3x the most expensive Nokias.

2 major advantages over iOS.
1. Office document editing
2. Free global maps, every state and country in the world,
3. In my personal opinion voice and data call qauality is miles ahead of the iphone 4s or 5s, but thats subjective.

Now, in the UK this phone costs 100, compared with 570 for an iPhone. Thats almost 6 times the price.

Putting a 64gb microsd card (25) results in 68GB, more than a 750 iPhone.

For a phone that costs 1/5th the price to beat an iphone is pretty insane. Well done Nokia!
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 4:43 PM BST

Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Pkg: 5 Book Package
Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Pkg: 5 Book Package
by Jonathan Orsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 9 Jun 2013
Perfect. Perfect. Top Score for me thanks to these books. I liked the fact that everything is neatly packaged and perfect as study materials.

Asus 1015PEM-BLK047S 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N550 1.5 GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, Windows 7 Starter)

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely laptop, 7 Jun 2013
One of my fave laptops of all time; slim, light 10 hours battery life, well worth the 400 I paid. Sadly have purchased a MacBook Air and migrating all formats to Mac so selling this baby!

Samsung UE32EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi functionality (Old model) (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. Misselling,misinformed., 25 May 2012
Neveragain. No wifi, no iplayer, contact Trading Standards and ASA. Report to EU and small claims court. Think I should throw this TV away.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 2:26 AM BST

Koolertron Thinnest Aluminum Alloys Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case As 11mm For iPad2 iPad3 And The New iPad

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product worth twice the money, 13 Oct 2011
The best ipad keyboard I have used hands down, adds barly half a centimetere to the ipad, and functions as a screen protector so you dont need another case. backside looks exactly like ipad people are amazed!

Navman Mio C220 SatNav - UK & Ireland
Navman Mio C220 SatNav - UK & Ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no words!, 25 Aug 2007
Absolute brilliance. I saw 1 bad review, and vaguely suspect that's Garmin's notorious PR people...

Here's the skinny...this is my THIRD GPS system, by a slight margin the cheapest, and invariably the best.
1. The first was TomTom mobile on a Nokia 6680 (all in 250 quid-ish) which was reasonable, but no touch-screen and a small screen.... but still does the job.
2. Finally bit the bullet and bought a Garmin. Read a lot of positive's about Garmin and decided to buy a Nuvi, that set me back about 400 quid. I was pleasantly surprised, as it had a nice touch screen and performed the job, A to B.
3. My Garmin got nicked, so I bought a Mio C220....no mp3/handsfree bells and whistles, gps pure and simple...it cost about a quarter of the Garmin, so wasn't expecting much.... Was I blown away!!

The interface is two generations ahead of TomTom and three generations ahead of Garmin. The mapping is flawless. They have East European maps, so you can drive to croatia with these things, maps being teleatlas and cheaper than iether TomTom's or Garmin's. I thought it was a 'budget buy', but it beat Garmin and TomTom hands down, in terms of usability, portability, screen brightness, GPS reception, speech synthesis, POI's and more. Honestly, I can't think of a single positive of Garmin or TomTom compared to Mio within this price range (except the tomtom 720 has speech recognition, admittedly with faults). This obscure little Belgian company has just thrashed the big boys...

You might be satisfied with a Garmin, but after you use a Mio for a week you can never go back to Garmin...and before you ask...no, I'm in no way affiliated to Mio! :-)