Profile for HHP > Reviews

The Child Taker Book 1 Detective Alec Ramsay Series
The Child Taker Book 1 Detective Alec Ramsay Series
Price: 1.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced riveting thriller, 2 Mar 2011
I decided to try a few new authors on kindle for light, action packed holiday reading and at this price - well...I figured I couldn't go wrong!

I was not disappointed. From the very first page you're sucked in to the story and hurtled forward right to the last page.

The characters and plots are well developed with enough 'twisty turnies' not to be transparent five minutes in.

I wont go into the story line as that could result in spoilers. However, its safe to say for a fast paced, easy read thriller with enough realism to keep most people happy... go for it.

There is just one small problem (with this book and Slow Burn being the two of his I've read this half term...and I've just ordered all his other titles!) Editing / proof reading!!! (Mr Jones - could you look for a new proof reader please? Your current one is not great... and I'm dyslexic so that's saying something!) Its very unfortunate as the glaring grammar, spelling etc does grate some in places and make one itch for a red pen! However, dont let that put you off otherwise fab books. If you know its there it doesn't bother you quite so much. It is for this issue alone that I cant justify 5 stars....

Happy reading!

Italian Baking Secrets
Italian Baking Secrets
by Giuseppe Father Orsini

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but no pictures!, 17 May 2007
This review is from: Italian Baking Secrets (Hardcover)
I liked this book. It is well written and the recipes are explained in an understandable way. The little bits of personal observations are great too.

My only conplaint is that there are no pictures - not one - only the one on the cover. Now, this isnt a problem as such except that I, like a lot of people, am very visually orientated. I find it easier and more appealing to have pictures. It also makes it more difficult trying to 'guess' what the final product should look like. As the instructions are quite clear, I must hope that I have got it right!

Dont let the no pictures angle put you off though. I think this is a valuable book for anyone wanting a good Italian baking book. It has a lot of recipes that you might not see elsewhere.

The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy
The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy
by Patrick Holford BSc DipION FBANT NTCRP
Price: 14.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Simple and Yummy!, 7 Mar 2007
I love recipe books, food, cooking and entertaining! However, I need to loose weight and was recommended to this programme by my lovely nutritionist. Hence, the purchase of this book, with a heavy heart expecting boring bunny food....

I was immediately impressed on recipet of the book. The cover is attractive, the book is well and logically layed out, its bright and cheery and written very well.

There is a good introduction on the theory of the diet as well as cooking methods, shopping, what to have in your fridge etc.

The recipes are lovely! I have to be careful with wheat and dairy so was concerned that I would be scabbling for usable recipes. Not so! Most recipes have none of the above, or offer alternates.

The recipes themselves are excellent. Very easy to follow for a cook of any level. Each recipe has suggested serving ideas with it as well as allergy advice, portion size and advice on using the recipe during the 'maintainance' phase. Very well thought out.

My only mild disapointment is that there are so very few pictures of the food... It is very obvious what the dish will look like when you read the recipe, but dont we all love pictures! None the less, I've barely read the book through and it already has 'kitchen marks' on it! I can see this becoming a much used, stained and cherished volume.

Add it to your collection now! Not only will you enjoy the fabulous recipes, but you'll be a whole lot healthier for it too!I've lose 5 lb in a week and eaten lots of wonderful,yummy food while doing so.

The New Tastes of India: Over 100 Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes from Southern India
by Das Sreedharan

4.0 out of 5 stars Achievable and authentic, 5 Jan 2007
I admit from the outset that I am an avid cook book collector and cook. So,it is no suprise really that this was a 'must have' book for me despite the other dozen or so Indian cook books on my groaning bookshelves!

The recipes are well written and simple to follow, yeilding reliable and most enjoyable results.It makes a wonderful change to the anglocised Inidan cook books out there. This is real Indian food, not your usual take away offering.

Some of the ingrediants and equipemt might be a little tricky if you dont have local ethnic shops, but the hunt is well worth the end result.

My only criticism of this book is that there are not enough pictures! I know its wildly more expensive to publish with lots of pictures, but I would be happy to pay twice the price to have a picture for each recipe. Most of us would not know what the end results would look like, so not only are the pictures attractive and inspiring, but they are also such a good guide.

Diary Of An Ordinary Woman
Diary Of An Ordinary Woman
by Margaret Forster
Price: 7.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Most will know this woman........., 18 Mar 2004
This is the collective story of so many woman of this generation. Ms Foster has captured the complexity of the social situations of this era perfectly. Anyone having older friends and relatives who lived through this era will see the definite ring of truth in it. What a terrible shame that people could feel so deeply but had to preserve the 'stiff upper lip' at all times. I can see my mother, my grandmother and aunts in this woman. Dont be put off by reviewers such as Dain1 - he/she probably has no acquaintances or knowledge of this era. Read it yourself and see....

Cross Stitch Silhouettes
Cross Stitch Silhouettes
by Adele Welsby

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable source book, 14 Nov 2003
I have bought many cross stitch and blackwork books, but this one has to be one of a handful that I use constantly.
The author has a beautiful design style and has come up with many lovely and unusual designs. I did not feel that it was 'just more of the same' as one so often does with this type of book. The use of silhouette, while not a new one, is a fabulous 'twist' for cross stitchers and those who like a simple and elegant for of design.
The instructions and patterns are clear and simple enough for a beginner and the potential for use unlimited to anyone at any stage of their craft.
I would have like to see more of the designs stitched, but this did not detract from my enjoyment of the book or the use I have made of it. In a way it almost made me 'look further' and I have come up with some interesting shading ideas, inclusions of blackwork and so on.
There are designs for every occasion and style from old fashioned cameos of ladies to a fabulous design of the taj mahal and a ceremonial elephantand simple borders that look wonderful on cafe curtains and towels! I am currently working on a 'fairy troop'directly from the book, using perlescent yarn....fantastic!
There are endless uses for all the patterns including knitted jumpers 'a la Kaffe'perhaps....
I do hope that she will be producing more designs of this calibre and style...perhaps a little blackwork thrown in?
BUY one - you will not be disappointed!

Storm Warning
Storm Warning
by Dinah McCall
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping light read, 14 Nov 2003
with enough substance and sound reseach to make it 'real'.
I read this in one night - mind I didnt mean to....just couldnt put it down! From the first page the story draws you in and rushes off with you through a fast moving and well constructed plot with realistic characters.
I shall me reading anything she produces. Up there with Mary Higgins Clark to my mind.

Sweet Delights: Delectable Ideas for Mouth-watering Desserts and Tempting Treats
by Emma Summer

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Delectable, 11 Aug 2003
Although I am an avid cook and not adverse to attempting any recipe (once!), I do like the simple ones the most. This book is crammed with simple (and a few more complex) recipes for fabulous desserts. I often find books only have a certain number of recipes that I would like to try, but this one only has one or two that I might put off until later...! The quantities, timings and instructions are clear and accurate. A delight, both to cook from and to read - a warning though - if you are trying to loose weight - dont buy this! It will have you in the kitchen in no time whipping up a little dessert! Well worth it. Enjoy!!