Profile for J. C. Pothecary > Reviews

Content by J. C. Pothecary

J. C. Pothecary "jcp47" (Cambridge, UK)

The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Lonely Planet Pictorial)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 14 Jun. 2006
This is an amazing book. If you are interested in seeing people and their ordinary but colourful lives across the world then this is the book for you. Its format is especially clever in that it is an A-Z rather than grouping countries by region, which means that every time you turn over a page a completely different part of the world comes alive.

As a previous reviewer found, if you want cliched picture-postcard views of physical stuff eg landscapes etc or loads of stats about different places, then you will be disappointed. Of course you could find photograghs of landscapes etc and tonnes of stats on the internet so needn't buy a book at all!

If you are interested in getting a feel for a place, for its people, its culture and its intrigue then this is definitely the book for you. It is written by travellers for travellers, not for someone doing a geography project.

It does what no other book has managed to do for me - it exactly captures the mood of places I have been to and that gives me faith that the moods of other places have been captured accurately. As I turn the pages I can't help but get excited, immersing myself in the mood that seeps off the page.

It's easy to read and still fascinates me. I love reading it especially when feeling bored of life or when its raining outside. It is a wonderful source of inspiration as well. After reading it, my list of must-go-to-places has tripled! This book deserves to be treasured by anyone interested in travelling the world, seeing its sights and meeting its people.

A fantastic buy!