Profile for C. Price > Reviews

Content by C. Price

C. Price (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom)

Back To Bedlam
Back To Bedlam

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good stuff...but, 19 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Back To Bedlam (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to hearing this album as I think 'You're Beautiful' could be for James what Vienna was for Ultravox. Hearing 'Three Wise Men' just confirmed that I had to buy the CD. Okay, he murders his music when he sings live but the studio recordings are so much better. 'Goodbye My Lover' is poignant and beautiful. So, why only 3 stars? I was horrified when I heard the album version of 'You're Beautiful' for the first time. I am used to hearing "she could see by my face that I was flying high" on the radio or in the video. I thought my ears were deceiving me when on the album version it wasn't flying high, but another word starting with 'f' and ending with 'ing'. Does this guy have a brain? Why ruin such a wonderful song with some needless swearing? Is there any point to it? So anybody who buys this beware, I told you. I'm a pretty liberal kind of guy but if I want to hear stuff like that I'll get a CD with a warning sticker on the front.

Doctor Who: War of the Daleks
Doctor Who: War of the Daleks
by John Peel

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and a solid story, 24 Jan. 2003
I have about 20 pages left of this book to read and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I personally think this is a solid Dr Who story which connects many Dalek stories together to show a progression of the Dalek race. As much as I think Davros was a waste after Genesis of the Daleks the book makes his sometimes disjointed appearances make sense as the big picture evolves. The main action may well take place towards the end of the book but how many times did the TV show wait until the final episode to really get started? I have really enjoyed the ride!
There have been times in the latter part of the TV series that the Daleks have seemed nothing but stooges to Davros, but War of the Daleks takes the ideas from Remembrance of the Daleks and runs with them, emphasising the divisions between Dalek ranks - being those loyal to Davros and those loyal to the Dalek Prime, hence the war. It is interesting to see Daleks starting to think for themselves again like in the good old days, and unlike some of the new range of Dr Who novels this story actually stays true to the TV version and doesn't seem like something completely different trying to compete with American sci-fi. If Big Finish make an audio version of War then I'll be the first to buy it.

We Can Dance
We Can Dance
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly Powerful, 17 Feb. 2001
This review is from: We Can Dance (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to this track I was struck by the immense power and atmosphere. The song is presented in a way which is true to the original but is in the same way presented with a real Millennium vibe. The instrumentation is wonderful, the artwork magnificent, I just wanted to listen to the track over and over, which I infact did. I have long been a fan of both Ultravox and Tron and the way the two bands merge into one is remarkable to say the least. It was like stepping back 20 years in time yet at the same time stepping forward another twenty. Timeless and superb, you really could not ask for more. Ultravox live on through Tron.

Syndicate
Syndicate
Offered by AbundaTrade

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes your breath away, 24 July 2000
This review is from: Syndicate (Audio CD)
From the opening track you know that Syndicate is a quality album. The music is refreshing and exciting, something new. My favourite track is Snowfall In Eden but there really isn't a single track that I don't like. The instrumentation, production and everything about Syndicate is faultless, it's a joy to listen to. Dejan is such a decent bloke and he really does deserve all the support you can give him, and you can start by buying the excellent new album "Auslaender" which carries on their tradition of writing quality songs that you want to listen to again and again. Tron are the light at the end of a very dark tunnel where the current musical trends are concerned.

Abracadaver (A Sergeant Cribb mystery)
Abracadaver (A Sergeant Cribb mystery)
by Peter Lovesey

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 3 May 2000
Sergeant Cribb and his Watson (Constable Thackeray) star again in this usually unusual novel, written in Lovesey's entertaining style. This is a book where you read to the end of the chapter and then to the end of the next chapter, regardless of what you should actually be doing, just like those cornflakes! I couldn't put it down. The period detail is wonderful, as is the colourful picture of Victorian life it paints, you can almost imagine yourself there! The characters are brought to life before you as you try to work out who the murderer could be in this story highlighting the darker side of Music Hall's existence. It's one of those mysteries where you have kick yourself for not knowing who is responsible for the murder, it all becomes so obvious. If only it were like that beforehand, you may have beaten a master at his own game! A joy to read.