Profile for Lefteris T. > Reviews

ORICO Tool free 3.5 inch 2 Bay USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - Black
ORICO Tool free 3.5 inch 2 Bay USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - Black
Offered by CYSKY SHOP

4.0 out of 5 stars ORICO Usb 3 external enclosure, 28 Nov. 2015
Other than the fan being quite loud - significantly louder than my gaming PC, it works fine and it's easy to load with an HDD and run.

I run it in a non-RAID configuration, which was totally plug & play. You load the disks, connect power and Usb and it's up and running.

It's also quite nice to look at and complements a black PC case in a nice way.

kenable PRO SATA 3 Locking Plug to Right Angle Plug 6Gb High Speed Cable 50cm
kenable PRO SATA 3 Locking Plug to Right Angle Plug 6Gb High Speed Cable 50cm
Offered by kenable_ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice & Strong!, 28 Nov. 2015
Nice cables, good length for an ATX case and the braiding makes them look strong and cool!

Cheap - ease of mind - upgrade.

Asus Z87-A C2 Motherboard (Socket 1150, ATX, 4x DDR3, PC-2800, USB 3.0, SATA3)
Asus Z87-A C2 Motherboard (Socket 1150, ATX, 4x DDR3, PC-2800, USB 3.0, SATA3)

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS for the winners!, 28 Nov. 2015
I have been using the ASUS Z87-A in my primary system for more than a year now together with a 4670k and 16 GB Geil DDR3 memory in dual channel configuration.
The board has run fast & smooth for all that time and I would say it has been one of my most easy to configure and most effective boards.

An easy 5 Star winner here!

Endless Forms Most Beautiful (Digibook)
Endless Forms Most Beautiful (Digibook)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 5 April 2015
This is a great album as usual!

How to define excellence is certainly an issue, let me say that to me, a great album is defined by the unstoppable urge to press the "play" button as soon as the last song fades away.

Well, this is certainly an album that made me replay it several times after I've heard it for the first time.

The new vocalist is first class and her voice blends magically with the music. I have to say that emotions tend to rise a lot more often in this album and I felt shivers on most of the songs. When I think of what it is that I like about this album, it's this exact aspect.
There's less of that technicality that makes you remember specific parts - like a great riff - and more of an emotional impact that comes from the way the whole album makes you feel...

Another total winner from Nightwish and another great start making you long for the next step!

Sunset On The Golden Age
Sunset On The Golden Age

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiver me timber!!! Metal & Rum!, 30 Aug. 2014
Ahoy mates!

Metal & Pirate stories???

Well, never really thought of it before, but it works!

This is the one and only Alestorm album I've heard, and I think it is very enjoyable. A great listen, full of sonic surprise and hilarious lyrics. Vocals sound like a mighty pirate is really singing in the band. The image I get is hard beaten pirates armed to the teeth with axes, drums, synths and amplifiers having a hell of a rock party on some tropical beach next to the fire.

Go on and enjoy this album. Let these pirate guys take your beer. It's worth it.

Yo - Ho - Ho!!!

Now What ?!
Now What ?!

3.0 out of 5 stars How to kill nice music using compression!, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Now What ?! (Audio CD)
I really like this album and sincerely I admire DP for being able to make this considering their age.

There is absolutely no hint of maturity in its negative sense here. What we get is a great, fun rock album.

I have been an occasional DP listener and I consider this album one of the picks.

More on the album’s content from people who really know their music & history.

I wanted to comment on the album's production though - someone has to bring this issue up:

What are these people in the music industry trying to do?

The sound is way over produced – over equalized. It is also recorder too loud. It makes any decent stereo sound like a boom-box and makes the recording so fatiguing...

Did anyone bother to measure the Dynamic Range of this release?

Let me answer why we SHOULD bother with this (in a plain manner)…

Music is composed of a variety of sounds. Each one of them has a timbre and a level (volume) of its own – in its relatively natural state that is. A piano for example is supposed to sound louder than a human voice or a guitar.

So, in a good recording we should be able to sense this variety of timbre AND volume level.

The effect is a relaxed and natural sound that allows everything to be heard in the appropriate “perspective”.

This “variety” in sound levels is measured by db – decibels and is called the Dynamic Range. The DR of any recording represents how much “room” is depicted in the sound that we hear when we play the recording. In technical terms it measures how much louder is the loudest sound of a recording from the softest sound in it and it is expressed in decibels.

A DR of 14, 12 or even 10 is a good sign for the listener, as it shows that the recording engineer has allowed for both the soft and the loud sounds to be present.
The lower the figure gets, the more the engineer manipulates the sound by making softer sounds louder and loud sounds softer – he is digitally cramming the amplitude of the sound wave into a narrower canal.

So What?

The sound we perceive in a compressed (low dynamic range) is un-natural, distorted, manipulated and less enjoyable.
Why do it? Because it sounds more aggressive, trendy and “louder” the effect produced is often called “loudness” and it suits cheap and bad sounding playback equipment better.

What is the DR of this recording???

A mere 6db.

This is almost as bad as it gets…

Out of curiosity I measured some older DP albums and they show much higher readings up to 11-12 db – more than acceptable.

Given that we pay money to enjoy our music, I consider this practice unacceptable to say the least.

We are forced to buy an inferior sounding product that we may not improve. The process is not reversible.

Please get informed on the topic and stop buying crap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 2:31 AM GMT

Omen-Story Continues
Omen-Story Continues

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreal dance album!, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Omen-Story Continues (Audio CD)
I think I were 23 years old when this album came out and I still got a vinyl copy.

This is one of the greatest samples of energetic - drum pounding melodic dance music. The album is great and it can be heard from minute one till the laser ends its jurney on the silver surface.

As any other dance album in the 90s it has moments that remind you of other bands, Snap, Capella etc. This is typical and it brings even more memories to life.

Almost 20 years later this one still sounds fresh & wonderful. Production is top of the line by any standard.

Ultra highly recommended!!!

Casio Men's Bracelet Combi Watch
Casio Men's Bracelet Combi Watch
Offered by TONEWATCH S.A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic watch for the price!, 12 Dec. 2012
I was looking for an everyday wrist watch that would look decent without being expensive.

First of all, the watch is (by far) nicer in real. The display has an elegant brown-silvery tint and not a bluish one as the image might suggest. It' been on my arm for a few hours and it's already attracting the looks, I can feel it!

It wears really well once you adjust the size by removing the proper number of links (depending on your wrist size).

The watch is quite light and coming from a much heavier one it still feels weird.
Personally I like it better that way though, as I use to wear my watch on the right hand and I have to take it off to be able to use the mouse, keyboard, or to write using a pen in the office. With the Casio there is no need to do that anymore... thank God!

As far as setting the time goes, one gets the idea pretty fast (with the manual's help) and it only takes 3-4 minutes to get it up and running.

Then, there is a great number of functions that I will not be needing.
I am only interested in setting the alarm.

If one needs to use all the added functionality however, he will have to read the manual, which is very well written by the way.
Please do bear in mind that it is really hard to use any of the functions without reading it however.

I really think this is a great buy and since the price fluctuates considerably, you might be able to get a nice everyday watch for less than 30 pounds. Bargain!

Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
Offered by Inkubus Bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars HDD -> Huge Data Depository, 5 Oct. 2012
This HD redefines the HDD acronym!

I purchased this to cover my growing need for local storage of image files. Since I entirely turned to the RAW format my HDD space bacame an immediate limitation...

The disk comes in a sturdy carton box with thick & soft foam pads surrounding it. No risk from transportation whatsoever!

Installation is a breeze. The HDD is immediately recognised by the bios (no need to do anything at all)and windows 7 will initialy show the disk once you enter disk management. [start->right click "computer"->manage->disk management].

Once there you will have to initialize the disk so that windows see it as well. Since this is a 3TB HDD you will need to initialize it as a GPT (rather than MBR) hard disk. Next thing is to create as many partitions as you need. You can always leve it as is which will offer you approximately 2.8GB of formated free space.

The disk is fast and absolutely quiet (I had to keep the case open while transfering files from older hard disks to it and there were no sound coming from it).

If you're in need of extra vital space, this one is highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2012 9:16 PM BST

Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM Memory
Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM Memory
Offered by SiQuell.direkt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory for the price!!!, 13 July 2012
I purchased two 4gb sticks to revive a crawling Lenovo netbook before setting it on fire just to gaze at the fire...

Well, all I can say is these work and they work well. Memory calculations in the windows 7 experience index gained a wooping 0.8 in the respective score compared to the samsung memory they replaced.

Real life experience also improves, especially when the applications load (up to then it's the HD's responsibility). Office and browsing are much better with the memory installed.

I really can't think of a better upgrade at this price.

Just do it!