Profile for timbo > Reviews

The Who: Quadrophenia - Live In London [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
The Who: Quadrophenia - Live In London [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ The Who

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stuff!, 30 Sept. 2015
Excellent Blu-Ray Disc. A truly great concert.
I really liked "5:15" with video footage of John Entwistle, playing along. Nice touch, as I was at the original concert at the Albert Hall where that recorded! Also, they did a similar thing with Keith Moon on "Bell Boy" A must buy for Who fans.

Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5-inch 7-mm SSD Includes 9.5-mm Spacer - CT256MX100SSD1
Offered by TRADING EMPIRE

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value SSD drive, 9 Oct. 2014
A good no nonsense SSD drive!

Liquid Blue JIMI HENDRIX PURPLE HAZE Tie-Dye T-Shirt M - 6XL
Liquid Blue JIMI HENDRIX PURPLE HAZE Tie-Dye T-Shirt M - 6XL

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hendrix shirt I've seen in a long time!, 19 Sept. 2014
Quite simply, it's a perfect T-Shirt for a Jimi Hendrix fan

40th Anniversary Reunion Concert [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]
40th Anniversary Reunion Concert [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 21 Jun. 2012
Excellent Blu-Ray disc for ELP fans.
I was lucky to have gone to this show, and clearly spotted myself in the audience - Another bonus!!
My only worry was if this disc was region coded, being a US import?
The answer is no, it isn't region coded! - So UK Blu-Ray player/ELP fans need not worry.
Sit back, turn the volume up and enjoy!!

Pioneer 7.1 Channel HDMI 3D AV, VSX-921-K
Pioneer 7.1 Channel HDMI 3D AV, VSX-921-K

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Machine - Get one while you still can!, 21 Jun. 2012
I have had 3 Pioneer receivers, and all of them have been great machines.
My new VSX-921 replaced my still excellent VSX-AX2AV-S. I only replaced this reciever
because it had no input for the newer blu-ray/dvd players with HDMI only connections.
Multi channel 5.1 Blu-Ray audio and SACD 5.1 audio only goes through HDMI now, and so
I could not utilise newer players with my old reciever.
Setting up was simple, as all my components now use HDMI, after a few simple plug-in's
I was fully up and running in under an hour.
The reviewer that complained that this unit was overly complicated was totally wrong, he should
had a go at "patching in connections" to my old VSX-AX2AV-S, (Mainly Phono connections only)
then they would know all about the true meaning of complicated!!!
The HDMI connections make the whole process simple and relatively tidy in comparision.
The sound quality from the reciever is excellent, with plenty of horsepower to spare.
I agree with other reviewers on one point though, the manual isn't very good.
It tells you basically all that you need, but does not go into any real depth on the advanced features.
I really like the "Internet Tuner" feature, I'm a Beatles and Pink Floyd fan and there's dedicated
internet streaming stations dedicated to just their music! Excellent stuff, I'm really happy with that!
There is a bit of a strange setup for this, I should warn you. You sign up to the Pioneer website on your PC,
[...] you get a code off the reciever to input to register; then upon registration you get 100's and 100's
of streaming radio stations to choose from. The stations that you choose are sent through the website to your reciever,
provided it's connected through the ethernet to the same network - A really nice and cool way to pick your favourite stations!
The only other slight niggle, is the remote control. It isn't as nice as my previous Pioneer's but I can hack that,
otherwise it's a really nice piece of kit.

The Lost Railways [DVD]
The Lost Railways [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Fairhead
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice budget DVD, 2 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Lost Railways [DVD] (DVD)
Who says cheap does not mean quality! This is a gem of an inexpensive dvd.
Like another reviewer of this dvd said "my young son loves this dvd", I'm sure my young son will too, when he gets a little bit older!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD, 2 Sept. 2009
This Excellent DVD covers the period where the last one finished off.
It covers the Beeching period until the beginnings of privatisation in 1984.
The modernisation of B.R., The end of Steam in 1968 and the lost battle B.R. had against the private motor car and haulage of goods on the roads in preference to the railways are well documented, as well as some sucesses B.R. had as well, The HST, Freightliner, Inter-City and the bulk "Merry Go Round" coal and mineral train services that lorries could not compete with.
The sadly under funded and failed APT project is covered in what should have been a world beater for it's time, right up to the first blows that began the final demise of B.R.

An excellent second DVD to complete the overall picture of this railway era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fills a missing information gap, 2 Sept. 2009
I have a lot of Railway DVD's that cover the big 4 railway era and it's traction,
but not a lot covering the British Railways era.
This excellent dvd covers the lead up to B.R.'s formation in 1948, and goes into some detail about the activities, and the poor post war state of the system was in that became B.R. a few years later.
There are lots of good movie news reel footage clips on this dvd, some of which I have seen before, but is nice to be combined on this dvd.
From the unveiling of B.R's first standard locomotive, "Britannia" to the emergence of the early express diesel locomotives, this is excellent stuff for those interested this period of railway history.

The second excellent dvd is now available which goes from the Beeching Cuts to privatisation
with interviews from various Ex B.R. staff and management working now in the privatised era.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 8:13 PM BST

Music Of The Spheres
Music Of The Spheres

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Oldfield breaks new musical ground, 16 April 2008
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I have been a Mike Oldfield since 1973 when his career first took off.
Just about every album release of his, (with the exception of the excellent Tubular Bells family!) seems to break new ground, as with this record.
Mike had a pretty good attempt at a classical score on the Voyager album, (Mont St. Michel) which I liked because although it was a classical piece, it had Mike's distinctive fingerprints all over it!
When I heard that this record was going to be a classical piece with choir, I was pretty 50/50 about it. I really didn't know what to think.
Fear not though, this record has many familiar "Tubular" aspects woven into it, to keep us older fans happy!

It took 3-4 plays to really sink in - I don't usually like classical music that much, I like rock music and usually avoid the classical section in record stores, but now I'm hooked on this!
I think this is a truly fantastic piece of music, and in my opinion this is, if not one of the most important Mike Oldfield album releases of recent times.
I would advise listeners to treat this album with an open mind before slamming it, treat it with an unbiased blank canvas attitude and listen to this genius of a man musically colour it in for you!
Lastly, I would really like to see this performed live at somewhere like the Royal Albert Hall... What about it Mike?

The Greatest Eighties/The Greatest Nineties [DVD]
The Greatest Eighties/The Greatest Nineties [DVD]
Dvd ~ Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see some of those old videos again!, 29 Jan. 2005
A nice little collection of 80's and 90's promo videos.
If you like the music of these decades this collection is a must buy for you!
As it is an EMI release there are no grotty soundtracks on any of these videos unlike some other compilations around.
Yes, I'd rate this collection....

Page: 1 | 2