Profile for Aaron C Reskew > Reviews

Content by Aaron C Reskew

Aaron C Reskew (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
KitSound KS1 Colours In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Mic Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets and MP3 Devices Including iPhone 4/4S/5/5S/5C/6/6S/6S Plus/6 Plus, iPad 1/2/3, Air 1/2, iPad Mini 1/2/3, iPad Pro,  iPod Nano 7th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5/S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy A3/A5, Galaxy Note 2/3/4, Galaxy Tab 2/3/4, Galaxy Tab A, Galaxy Tab S, Google Nexus 4/5/6/7/9/10, HTC One/One M8/One M9, Motorola Moto E/G/X, Xperia Z1/Z2/Z3/Z4/Z5 - Pink
KitSound KS1 Colours In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Mic Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets and MP3 Devices Including iPhone 4/4S/5/5S/5C/6/6S/6S Plus/6 Plus, iPad 1/2/3, Air 1/2, iPad Mini 1/2/3, iPad Pro, iPod Nano 7th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5/S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy A3/A5, Galaxy Note 2/3/4, Galaxy Tab 2/3/4, Galaxy Tab A, Galaxy Tab S, Google Nexus 4/5/6/7/9/10, HTC One/One M8/One M9, Motorola Moto E/G/X, Xperia Z1/Z2/Z3/Z4/Z5 - Pink
Offered by AZ Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Seem like good earphones, 10 Sept. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The sound from these earphones is impressive, and they are comfortable to wear. I'm not normally a fan of earbuds (I prefer old fashioned phones with a headband) but these work well. The sound quality is good - I've found lots of times the earbuds that come with a stereo either lose the treble and sound dull or lose the bass and sound tinny, but these seem to give a good sound quality. They sound much the same as my Squeezebox, which for being out and about is as much as I'd ask of anything.

I haven't tried the microphone or other features because I don't use my phone for music playing, so I can only comment on the quality of music playback. Overall I'd rate these as good, despite my preference for a headband to hold them in place if I want to move them away from my ears temporarily.

Just Business
Just Business
by Geraint Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover to cover in a day, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Just Business (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always used to enjoy the Cityboy column in the London Paper on my way home from work. When I saw this I thought it was a compilation of columns and was a little disappointed when I realised it was a work by the same author rather than a compilation. But since I'd enjoyed his column and had the book I figured I might as well read it.

There's a lot of colourful language in it, but no more than you'd hear on any trading floor in the City. The story starts out with our man looking for an easy way to get his hands on enough money to retire, having discovered an indiscretion committed by his boss. From there things go wrong, badly, and the story is about our man and his adventures trying to sort it all out again.

It's written in the first person which gives it the feel of an autobiography, and links in enough of the reality in the City to hold together very well. It's entirely possible that the author is truly living a life as he describes towards the end, even if he took a more mundane route to get to it than described in the book.

I read the entire book in 24 hours and loved it.

Aerelle  Duvet 100% Cotton Cover Dupont Fibre 9.0 Tog King 220X225Cm
Aerelle Duvet 100% Cotton Cover Dupont Fibre 9.0 Tog King 220X225Cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and warm, 9 May 2011
Hard to know how to review a duvet, it's that big square squashy thing that sits on the bed. This one is a fairly warm one - rated at 9 TOG although it feels more than twice as thick as the 4.5 TOG we use in the warmer months.

This one is great for use in the coldest winter months, since we put it on a heated waterbed it means we can turn the heaters down a little and save a chunk of cash on the electricity bill. We find it a little too warm once we get into late Spring, although if we didn't have the heated bed we'd probably use it until later in the year.

With the extra insulation it provides over the lighter duvet I'm hoping it will pay for itself pretty soon in electricity savings.

AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, bit of a memory hog, 9 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using AVG products for years, so didn't take long to decide on a free upgrade courtesy of the Vine. And it does seem to be an upgrade as well. It may be that some featuers have always been available but I'm only seeing them now I upgraded from WinXP to Win7 but I'm liking it so far.

First of all you get a desktop gadget so you can click "Scan now" any time you want. A small thing I know, but it means you can dispense with the scheduled scan and just click Scan at a time that suits you. The only way I could make sure the scheduled scan didn't interfere with me working was to leave my PC running overnight and schedule it to run at 3am. A full system scan of about 800GB could take up to 4 hours.

The new version seems to be faster, the Link Scanner now seems to work just fine with Firefox (with the previous version I turned off LinkScanner because it kept crashing Firefox), and the most recent upgrade now includes some form of online storage (free for a small amount with various chargeable options) and a new "family friendly filter". I haven't used those because I don't need online storage and don't have kids so don't need to know what they are up to.

The biggest downside of this product for me is that having done a complete system scan it seems to soak up a significant amount of my system's memory and then doesn't release it when it finishes. Even though I don't leave my PC running 24x7 any more that still means that after a full scan I need to put it into standby mode and then wake it up if I want to recover that memory. Again it might seem like a small issue for some but as a software developer myself I tend to be sensitive to such things.

So for the memory issue I dock a star, for everything else it does (and as far as I can tell does very well) it gets a full complement of the remaining 4 stars. And of course a 4-user license is great because it conveniently matches two desktops and two laptops.

Fellowes Premium Height Adjustable Mouse Pad/Wrist Support - Graphite
Fellowes Premium Height Adjustable Mouse Pad/Wrist Support - Graphite

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, just seems flimsy, 28 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mouse pad does what it says on the box, it provides a convenient gel pad to rest your wrist while using the mouse. The risks of RSI etc are pretty well known now so there's no point going into the reasons why you might want one of these.

In terms of addressing the wrist issues when using a mouse it does just fine. It's a bit disconcerting that nothing seems to be stuck into place though - if you turn it upside down the mousing surface and the gel pad fall out. I suppose that means you can replace them easily but these things are usually priced at a point that means they are pretty much disposable - my other gel mouse pad (made by Kensington) which I bought for about £20 in mid-2006 is still doing just fine.

This one is good in that it is height adjustable where my Kensington version isn't, and the surface of the gel pad feels like something that will stay dry even in the summer if my wrists are a bit sweaty. That's an improvement on the Kensington which has a groove along the middle to allow air to circulate but doesn't actually help a whole lot on a sweaty day.

Honestly, if I felt this thing was a bit sturdier I've have given it the full five stars, it's just disconcerting when I open the box and the first thing that happens is bits of it start falling on the floor.

TuneUp Utilities 2011, 3 users (PC)
TuneUp Utilities 2011, 3 users (PC)
Offered by GreatBrook Multimedia Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement on 2010, 24 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had PC Tuneup Utilities 2010 but had run out of licenses to install it. So when Utilities 2011 appeared on the vine I grabbed one, and it's now installed on my Windows 7 machine.

In so many ways it's like its predecessor, and it's entirely possible that some of the features I'm seeing in Win7 were there before but not available to Windows XP. I like the desktop gadget so I can see at a glance whether it's happy with my system tuning, it still offers the same options to tuneup the system based on graphics settings, startup programs, disk fragmentation, network usage etc.

Running in the background it's unobtrusive but every once in a while pops up a message to say it's cleaned some broken registry links or recovered some disk space by deleting temporary files (you can turn these settings off, if you want to check out the temporary files for yourself)

I gave it four stars rather than 5 because immediately after running it I also ran AVG's tuneup utility which claimed there were still several hundred registry issues. This seemed unlikely on an almost brand new machine but does raise a question whether it cleans as thoroughly as it might.

PagePlus X5 (PC)
PagePlus X5 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 17 Mar. 2011
This review is from: PagePlus X5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember using Page Plus version 3.0 many many years ago, back in the days when it was the poor man's version of Adobe PageMaker. At the time it was a very impressive product, especially given how cheap it was relative to the competition.

Roll on many years and 12 versions and the product is still good, still easy to use, and still great for putting together brochures, flyers, product sheets, you name it. It's easy to use - I figured how to flow between text boxes, around pictures etc within a matter of a couple of minutes.

Of course now it's also up against Microsoft Publisher, but as before it's cheaper than the competition. I can see Publisher holding sway because of the Microsoft name on it, and the fact it's included in many of the higher offerings of Office, but if you're using a cheaper Office then this is just great.

I couldn't see any option to import a Publisher file, or save in Publisher format, although to be honest it seems you'd use one or other product rather than trying to shift between the two. With that in mind I haven't knocked a star off for it.

Philips HP8190/17 SalonDry Hush Ionic Hair Dryer
Philips HP8190/17 SalonDry Hush Ionic Hair Dryer

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and effective, 29 Dec. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife needed a new hair dryer, so when this popped up on Vine I figured it looked good enough to try it out. And it is pretty good, it comes with a regular air director and a diffuser, offers a couple of levels of heat and power, and also offers an ionic function.

The booklet isn't entire clear about the ionic function - it seems to reduce frizz but makes little discernible difference. The diffuser works wonders on her hair, and the thing is quiet. With her old dryer I couldn't hold a conversation while she was drying her hair but now I can.

The attachments snap on and snap off. The diffuser has to come off for the whole thing to fit in the drawer, and looking at it I'm concerned that at some point it will snap off in ways not intended by the manufacturer. So I'm giving it four stars but leaning towards five rather than three.

The Ezekiel Option Rev Ed PB
The Ezekiel Option Rev Ed PB
by Rosenberg Joel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 13 Nov. 2010
I picked up my copy of The Ezekiel Option at a smalltown bookstore in the US while I was on holiday, looking for something to read during Tropical Rainstorm Nicole's expected passing almost directly overhead. To be honest the main thing that attracted me was the word Ezekiel, since I'm something of a fan of the Biblical book of a similar name.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read it cover to cover in 24 hours, I found I just couldn't put it down. The storyline works well, taking known elements of current and recently historical geopolitical interest and maintaining the existence of current known agencies (the CIA, Mossad etc), adding a couple of fictitious groups (Al-Nakbah being a fictitious Islamic group, for example) and weaving them into a fictitious future that represents one way the prophecies of Ezekiel might come to pass.

Obviously the book is fictional, and the author makes that very clear, but it's based on Biblical prophecy. Whether you believe the prophecies of the Bible will come to pass or not, the book is one I'd recommend to anyone.

The way the storyline develops is clever, it naturally needs to be accelerated such that, for example, the UN actually accomplishes something within a couple of weeks, geopolitical balances shift and change, international relations strengthen and weaken (and some break down badly in the first couple of chapters). The way international relations develop over the incident in the first few chapters is entirely believable, and the book builds well on a solid base.

I'd never heard of Rosenberg before I encountered this book, but now I plan to read more of his novels because I liked this one so much.

Western Digital WD15EADS Caviar Green 1.5TB SATAII 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Green Power OEM Internal Hard Drive
Offered by Extreme_Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, Amazon not a good seller, 11 May 2010
There's only so much that can be said about a hard drive. My old data drive was a 250GB Western Digital that was almost full, so I bought a 1.5TB Western Digital to replace it. So far the drive has worked as expected, offering about six times the capacity of the old drive. It took all the data from the old drive with ease and with well over a terabyte remaining. It seems to respond at a comparable speed to the old one (I'm not into hardcore gaming so squeezing the last drops of speed out of a drive isn't a priority for me).

I can't recommend Amazon as a seller though. It took them an extra two days from ordering to ship the unit, then because of the weekend it was a further three days before I received it, only to find no foam around it at all. It was in an antistatic bag, wrapped in lots of clingfilm to keep it in place within the box, and put in the post.

From experience I know that hard drives can take severe acceleration before breaking, as long as it's the entire drive affected rather than a part of it (e.g. dropping something heavy on it), so I figured I'd install it anyway and see if it worked OK. It did work fine - it took six hours to format - and then when I copied a load of data from the drive it replaced and a couple of other drives (a total of a few hundred GB) it still seemed to work just fine.

So to summarise, a great product but seriously shoddy packaging from Amazon who really should know better, especially given the complaints others have already made about this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12