Profile for Aaron C Reskew > Reviews

Babies and Toddlers for Men: From Newborn to Nursery
by Mark Woods
Price: 8.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny with a few gems, 26 April 2012
As the title says impending fatherhood comes with a mass of emotions from anticpiation to sheer terror. This book aims to take a light hearted look at what to expect from a man's perspective, ofering some tips on how to deal with the stages of the new life. It covers up to the child going to school, with hints how best to cope with each stage and maintain sanity along the way. A book that can cover this topic and still make me chuckle has to be worth a re-read

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 6.5 Feet / 2.0 m and Toslink Digital Audio Optical Cable 6 Feet / 1.8 m Pack of 2
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable, 26 April 2012
Hard to know how to review a cable. It seems to do what it's supposed to do, and the packaging meets its promise to be basic. I don't have any devices that need the optical audio cable so can't comment on that.

AVG Internet Security 2012, 4 PC, 2 Year License (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2012, 4 PC, 2 Year License (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still good internet security, 16 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using AVG for some time now so when the 2012 edition came up for grabs on the Vine it was a no brainer.

The upgrade process was painless, the main screen looks more streamlined now but the fundamentals are still there. It still looks for viruses, rootkits, trojans, tracking cookies etc and still does a good job of removing them. The odd virus/trojan that gets sent to me by email in the guise of some young lady with no clothes on or the chance to help steal $250,000,000 from a dead Nigerian prince get tagged as they come in, and subsequently removed.

The 2012 edition also pops up a warning when an application starts to use a lot of memory. When I load Firefox with multiple tabs open and several tabs are mapping sites it hammers the memory. AVG pops up to say it's using a lot of memory, so I know that I may need to close and reopen it.

The full system scan seems slightly slower than the 2011 edition but it's hard to say how much of that is just due to me using the PC when it runs. Some day I need to just let it run its scan without me touching anything to see how long it takes. Certainly it's not a problem.

So overall I continue to recommend AVG.

Salter 9034 SV3R Digital Bathroom Scale Mirror
Salter 9034 SV3R Digital Bathroom Scale Mirror
Offered by Wholesale Interiors
Price: 29.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, neat design, 19 Jan 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to write much about a mirror and a bathroom scale. The mirror is, well, a mirror. When I look at it I see what I look like. Some might say that's a good thing, others might have a different view :-)

The scale tells me what I weigh. I'd rather it gave me a smaller number but I can't blame the scale for that.

What's neat about this combo is that the scale fits behind the mirror and doubles as a clock. Previously I'd used a free standing scale and it was constantly a bit of a drag finding the best place to keep it - sat on the floor it took up more space than I really wanted to assign to it, and propped against a wall just looked a bit naff. Being able to slide the scale behind the mirror means it's out of the way, and the fact it doubles as a clock gives me an extra function along the way.

FX Factory 1 Amp USB Mains Charger for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, HTC, Kindle, Tom Tom, Navman
Price: 5.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, almost perfect, 20 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the proliferation of devices wanting to be recharged via USB these days it's nice and easy as long as you're near a PC. I've got a growing collection of USB cables, ranging from the regular mini-B that charges my phone to the micro-B that charges my wife's Kindle to the custom things that charge everything from GPS units to MP3 players. Which is all well and good until we go away somewhere and want to charge something. It gets to be a real drag taking a bagful of cables with moulded plugs, but with this little device we can just take the regular USB cables and a single plug.

When it's in use it has a bright blue LED on it that lets you know it's working. A light like this is useful, I'd even go so far as to say critical (I can't be the only one who left something to charge overnight only to realise I'd forgotten to switch the socket on), but such a bright blue means it's not the sort of thing you'll want to use in a bedroom. Which is a shame, since it's the kind of thing you're most likely to use when on the move and in, for example, a hotel bedroom where you won't have the luxury of leaving it in the kitchen while you sleep.

A less bright red or green LED would have made it suitable for bedroom use, which is why I dinged it a star.

Asus K53SC-SX017V 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-2410M (2.30GHz), RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB, Windows 7 Home Premium)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 17 Nov 2011
Wow, this laptop is the answer to all my needs. Even the price is a steal, although unfortunately it only comes with a UK power cable. I need to be able to use it abroad and only have a budget of 104,603 to get set up. Unfortunately the adapter that would let me plug it in abroad costs an extra 2.99, bringing the total to 104,604.99 which is more than my budget.

Shame, although given how cheap the laptop is you can't expect everything I guess.

Sky's the Limit: British Cycling's Quest to Conquer the Tour de France
Sky's the Limit: British Cycling's Quest to Conquer the Tour de France
by Richard Moore
Price: 14.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting background, 10 Sep 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having not cycled since my teenage years I recently got into it again after an absence of more years than I care to admit. Along the way I started to watch the Tour de France and enjoyed watching the team tactics and the sheer level of fitness of these world class athletes. When this book came up on the Vine I just had to grab myself a copy.

It gives a lot of background about Team Sky, how they were born, how they got their riders (including a few issues with the riders they wanted being under contract to other teams) and so on. It touches on the issues of doping in the past and how they wanted to create a clean team, how the short term contracts and constant payment for results that had been the hallmark of previous Tours had put so much pressure on athletes to enhance their performance any way they could. It also compares velodrome cycling to road cycling and how the two disciplines are very similar but also so very different and how so many other factors come into play.

It covers some of the personalities involved (Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish feature regularly, although since Wiggins currently rides for Team Sky he is obviously more prominent in the book), including the riders, team managers, and the like. It looks at the way the riders were encouraged to make decisions for themselves and the team rather than simply being told what was going to happen, and so on.

For all I enjoyed the book I did find some sections of it seemed to be more fluff than substance. I guess anything that features personalities to this extent is inevitably going to involve an element of the conflicts between individuals but there were parts that just didn't seem particularly relevant to me. That said on balance I'm glad I read it, and will most likely watch next year's Tour with a greater understanding of how one of the teams started and continued. It will also be interesting to see if Mark Cavendish does end up riding for them at some point.

KitSound KS1 Colours In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Mic - Pink
KitSound KS1 Colours In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Mic - Pink
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Seem like good earphones, 10 Sep 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The sound from these earphones is impressive, and they are comfortable to wear. I'm not normally a fan of earbuds (I prefer old fashioned phones with a headband) but these work well. The sound quality is good - I've found lots of times the earbuds that come with a stereo either lose the treble and sound dull or lose the bass and sound tinny, but these seem to give a good sound quality. They sound much the same as my Squeezebox, which for being out and about is as much as I'd ask of anything.

I haven't tried the microphone or other features because I don't use my phone for music playing, so I can only comment on the quality of music playback. Overall I'd rate these as good, despite my preference for a headband to hold them in place if I want to move them away from my ears temporarily.

Just Business
Just Business
by Geraint Anderson
Price: 10.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover to cover in a day, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Just Business (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always used to enjoy the Cityboy column in the London Paper on my way home from work. When I saw this I thought it was a compilation of columns and was a little disappointed when I realised it was a work by the same author rather than a compilation. But since I'd enjoyed his column and had the book I figured I might as well read it.

There's a lot of colourful language in it, but no more than you'd hear on any trading floor in the City. The story starts out with our man looking for an easy way to get his hands on enough money to retire, having discovered an indiscretion committed by his boss. From there things go wrong, badly, and the story is about our man and his adventures trying to sort it all out again.

It's written in the first person which gives it the feel of an autobiography, and links in enough of the reality in the City to hold together very well. It's entirely possible that the author is truly living a life as he describes towards the end, even if he took a more mundane route to get to it than described in the book.

I read the entire book in 24 hours and loved it.

Aerelle  Duvet 100% Cotton Cover Dupont Fibre 9.0 Tog King 220X225Cm
Aerelle Duvet 100% Cotton Cover Dupont Fibre 9.0 Tog King 220X225Cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and warm, 9 May 2011
Hard to know how to review a duvet, it's that big square squashy thing that sits on the bed. This one is a fairly warm one - rated at 9 TOG although it feels more than twice as thick as the 4.5 TOG we use in the warmer months.

This one is great for use in the coldest winter months, since we put it on a heated waterbed it means we can turn the heaters down a little and save a chunk of cash on the electricity bill. We find it a little too warm once we get into late Spring, although if we didn't have the heated bed we'd probably use it until later in the year.

With the extra insulation it provides over the lighter duvet I'm hoping it will pay for itself pretty soon in electricity savings.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12