Profile for Emmanuelle Goldstein > Reviews

Content by Emmanuelle Gol...

Emmanuelle Goldstein (Airstrip 1)

Page: 1 | 2
Fire Steel Flint & Striker SAS Survival Tool Kit - Outdoor Camping Living Survival Tool
Offered by fashionnewsun

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless: Won't Spark for Me or Previous Owner, 25 April 2013
It won't give me a spark at all.

The string arrived with a worn area, suggesting that the item was not new and had been returned by somebody else who'd tried it repeatedly without success.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2013 10:47 AM BST

RJ45 CRIMPER TOOLS
RJ45 CRIMPER TOOLS
Offered by ukshopping247

1.0 out of 5 stars THEY SENT AN INFERIOR TOOL INSTEAD, 20 April 2013
This review is from: RJ45 CRIMPER TOOLS (Electronics)
When I got the inferior substituted tool, I emailed the supplier saying that I would allow a week to get the real one before reviewing accordingly; that week expired yesterday. I need the advertised tool to wire-in a CPR Call Blocker, which uses RJ11 plugs for each of two phone lines. The advertised tool will crimp these as well as RJ45 plugs but the tool sent to me will not.

Pacific Fusion Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Pack of 2)
Pacific Fusion Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Pack of 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Mild With Confusion Pricing, 14 April 2013
Sauces should have a strong, concentrated flavour to be able to give flavour to a relatively large volume of bland food. I was as disappointed with this as I was with a litre squeeze bottle of Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce that I bought from my butcher for £2.

I was annoyed at not being able to assess value for money from the Amazon photograph and again when I saw how small the containers are. They arrived in a polythene bag within a large padded cardboard box. Their labels had not been attached but were placed in virginal state between the two containers. They say, via a magnifying glass, 2L but there seems to be nearer 3L, having funnelled-off nearly a litre into the squeeze bottle; I'll feel robbed if not.

If nothing else it is a way of adding sugar to my noodles when I'm hypoglycæmic and getting cranky.

Mama instant Rice Noodles 225 g (Pack of 6)
Mama instant Rice Noodles 225 g (Pack of 6)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not For Toothless Crones With Disabled Cookers, 14 April 2013
Since the Transco/National Grid devils cut off my gas rather than correct their sabotage of my gas pressure following a gas leak in the alley some years ago, I got these to add variety to the range of noodles that I cook by soaking in boiling water for a few minutes, in a pot noodle® pot. I have to crush noodles into short lengths, otherwise they choke me. These were very difficult to crush and crumble as they are flat, wide, sharp-edged and springy. Then they don't soften quickly enough to remain warm. They don't seem to absorb any flavoured broth. They are plain and seem much more expensive than the noodles which come with flavour sachets. "Instant noodles" should be as quick as pot noodles® or instant coffee to prepare, rather than demanding 3 minutes cooking in a pan. These noodles seem to me to be a waste of good rice. I've cancelled my subscription. I suppose I'll have to put them through the food processor to smash them into tiny expensive bits to add to soups when I get my gas back. After 20 minutes cooking, they should stop feeling like bits of plastic ribbon or broken lightbulb.

Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Android Heaven, 3 April 2013
Brought the household Androids to life: Nexus and Kindle Fire. Dual band WiFi for portable HDTV. Remote alarms and surveillance from anywhere on the planet in range of a phone tower from WiFi and LAN/WAN cameras with night vision. I just hope that it won't fry my brain.

HDMI Female to Micro HDMI Type D Male Adapter EVO 4G
HDMI Female to Micro HDMI Type D Male Adapter EVO 4G
Offered by Importer520(TM)

3.0 out of 5 stars Untried so far, 3 April 2013
This is to allow my portable HD video recorder to play to my smart TV but I haven't been able to mount and try the TV so far so, in expectation of at least adequate performance, I've put three provisional stars.

Poetic Slimbook Case for Google Nexus 4
Poetic Slimbook Case for Google Nexus 4
Offered by Smart Shop Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 3 April 2013
Despite reviews to the contrary, I have managed to get 2 cards into the slots without defeating the fastener that keeps it closed: its top-up card and a Nectar card. There was a problem due to clumsy gluing which prevented use of one slot until I took a letter-opener to it. I have just managed to insert a 3rd card and achieve closure. I have nothing in the document flap though.

I punched a hole through the spine to introduce a small keyring with a swivelling snap-clip to allow hanging it on a hook by my bed and to attach it to a tether, with another keyring, in my bag.

The cut-outs are all in the right places.

I haven't used it much as a phone because the Nexus sound system is so inadequate that I would be unlikely to know whether anyone was phoning me unexpectedly.

I was initially repulsed by what appeared to be a nasty religious symbol in the maker's mark but decided, after pre-purchase magnification, that it was a sword, not a cross, as in "the pen/stylus/phone/text/tweet/cartoon/poem is mightier than ...", and may be used instead of, so that was OK.

The naked phone was too slippery and vulnerable to hold and avoid losing.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Case - Purple & White Polka Dot Print PropUp Stand Case Cover (with integrated stand function and magnetic sleep sensors) & BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by OGADGETHUB

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty & Quite Well Designed, 3 April 2013
The only drawback is that the stylus strap, elasticated loop, is a bit high on the side such that it obstructs the power and volume controls. As the Nexus is, annoyingly, way too quiet for audio listening and for hearing alerts (making the volume control redundant once set to maximum) and as the magnetic switch actuators in the cover mean that the power button is only absolutely required to force a reboot, this is not much of a problem except when the Nexus keeps going dark while you are referring to it and has its cover folded back underneath it.

The Velcro® pads on the small fold-under retaining flap, that keep the Nexus contained without drift, are excellent. A Kindle Fire case of my acquaintance annoyingly lacks this feature and allows the pad to slide out in portrait mode while using it for watching TV etc..

The camera cut-out is a sort of eye-shape.

Nissin Chicken Flavour Instant Noodles 100 g (Pack of 30)
Nissin Chicken Flavour Instant Noodles 100 g (Pack of 30)
Offered by Oolong Supermarket

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore Cooking Instructions, 3 April 2013
When I took my magnifying glass to the tiny cooking instructions I responded with expletives. "Cook for 5 minutes!" Call that instant?

The evil Transco/National Grid man had decided to sneak around the side of my house and cut the gas off instead of turning up the pressure to correct the stupidity of his evil colleagues years ago, as instructed, claiming health and safety excuses on discovering that the room with the gas meter had not been kept otherwise empty for his exclusive use. I now have no functional cooker thanks to these fastidious capitalist usurpers of the people's collectively-owned energy infrastructure and could not use the product as instructed, rather than as planned. "Instant" was of the essence; my main reason for searching out the product.

However, I had a flash memory of preparing other cakes of, fatter, noodles with a 3-minute covered soak in boiling water from a kettle, against similar instructions. Having read the noodle reviews, I had kept a washed-out pot noodle® pot from last week's shop for food that requires no cooking, an inspiration from Dave Lister, @ 3 for £1 and the possibility that they might be Neddy Noodles rather than containing just mechanically-recovered beef bone blastings.

I snapped and crumbled the brittle biscuit of noodles and crammed the sticks and bits into the pot: a good fit, volumetrically. On subscription they cost 4p more than pot noodles® but take up much less storage space and were delivered to, rather than fetched by, me. You could now follow the instructions on the pot but I grabbed a fork and the two flavouring sachets and headed back up to bed. Next time I shall put in the contents of the sachets before the boiling water, so that they will be washed through by the water. I stirred the contents of the pot a couple of times, before and after the journey, and they tasted very nice. The oil is essentially roasted sesame seed oil and the powder has MSG and chook powder, maybe from stock. There are a number of other ingredients, including pinheads of leek. I added salt and pepper. I just tried adding the sachets contents before the boiling water and enjoyed my second meal almost as much as my first. Maybe because only 3 hours have passed, maybe because the flavour was not mostly in the initial hit but more evenly distributed.

These are zigzag noodles, like pot noodles®, which makes them easier to keep on your fork or between your chopsticks, provided that you don't stir them so enthusiastically as to straighten them out. Obviously, drink the tasty liquor at the bottom of the cup.

Lost star is because of price and lack of instruction in the instant method of preparation.

THE COMPLETE PLAYS OF SHAKESPEARE (Illustrated and Commented Edition) All of William Shakespeare's Unabridged Plays AND Yale Critical Analysis) THE COMPLETE ... (The Complete Works of Shakespeare Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Thanks For All The Warnings Folks, 16 Dec 2012
Weary, stale, flat and unprofitable - or so it would seem.

"Annotations" should be real: notes next to what they apply to, not hours away.

Tatty formatting.

Merkin spellings.

Wrong words.

Missing illustrations.

Stick with the free version!

Nothing lives up to expectations these days. :-(

I too already have a wrist-breaking but beautiful large-print illustrated version that is hard to put away if taken to bed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2014 9:59 AM BST