Profile for pjwalstra > Reviews

Paul McCartney: The Songs He Was Singing
Paul McCartney: The Songs He Was Singing
by John Blaney

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 10 Jun 2003
This book deals with all the McCartney output outside of The Beatles – so starting with “The Family Way” and ending with “Back In The US” (“Back In The World” appeared after the book was published). The book is divided into 4 sections – each section spans a decade, so 1970 – 1979 (subtitled: I Am Your Singer: Flying Solo With Wings), 1980 – 1989 (Subtitled: Rough Ride: The Wilderness Years. This because the author feels that McCartney lost his sense of direction during that period), 1990 – 1999 (subtitled: Looking For Changes: New Horizons, New Directions. The author states that McCartney started to think outside of the box in that decade – a rebirth of his music) and finally 2000 – present (Subtitles: Here Today – The Way Ahead).
The book deals thoroughly with all McCartney albums and singles and tracks on soundtracks etc. and contains plenty pictures of Album & single covers (all in black & white). For each song, there is a description on how it came about, personnel playing on the track, highest chart position (if applicable), Label details, Producer(s), Recording details and UK & US release date.
In the intro the author clearly states that he wants to provide a traditional discography with contextual information and a critical analysis. This means that we get to read his opinion of all McCartney’s music. Now opinion is a very personal thing, and I’m sure that, like me, you will not agree with everything that the author has written in that respect. Still, I have to say that I’ve read much worse examples of authors trying to force their opinion on the unsuspecting reader.
All in all the book seems to be a thorough piece of work, well worth having. I couldn’t verify all the details in the book, but I did find that it’s not always correct.
The song in question is “Through Our Love” from the Pipes Of Peace album (1983). I know for a fact that Geoff Whitehorn played acoustic guitar on that one, yet he is not listed on the track (which lists personnel: Paul & Linda McCartney, Eric Stewart) nor is he listed in the introduction of the album. This sort of thing always makes me wonder how correct the other details in the book are.
Still if your looking for a comprehensive McCartney discography, you can’t go wrong with this one for the price they’re asking for it.