Profile for T. Swan > Reviews

Content by T. Swan

T. Swan (Surrey, UK)

Duracell Rechargeable CEF20 Mini AA and AAA Battery Charger with 2 x Rechargeable AA Batteries
Offered by ECOTRONICS
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't perform its most basic function, 20 July 2012
This doesn't charge batteries, simple as that. Don't buy it.

To be more specific, I have put brand-name batteries (including duracell) into this charger, and more than half the time it doesn't charge them properly. You take the batteries out, get about 20 minutes of life, and then they're flat again, requiring you to waste another 8 hours. The batteries aren't "dead" because occassionally it will charge them up properly and they'll last for weeks/months. Most of the time this isn't the case, resulting in huge frustration. I've checked the batteries are the right type, and I've even gone out and bought new batteries for this thing. I feel like a mug now because I've wasted more money. I will certainly avoid buying any Duracell products again.

Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology
Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology
by Hugh Coolican
Price: 33.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably useful for people with no mathematical knowledge, 29 Oct 2011
While this book is an easy read, and will suit those of a less numerical disposition, it won't suit everyone. I am not overly numerical in my thinking, but even I thought the "writing for novices" style was overdone. How dumb does he think people reading this book will be? He appears to assume a primary school level of maths ability. It was almost like the author was talking down to me in a condescending way at times.

In relation, there was too much repetition of key points, and too many examples of those points. I would often understand a point in the first sentence, which is a credit to Coolican's explanatory style, but 3 paragraphs and two example-boxes later I am still reading the same thing and thinking "Alright! i get it already!". Not being concise enough was a big downfall here, as it is in many books, which could be attributed to authors thinking more of the page-count than the readers time.

However, the ease of reading and the "sympathetic" style made it possible to grasp the key points without going back and reading them again.

I don't appreciate doing the exercises at the end of the chapters, only to come to the answers and read "there is no answer to this question", which just means the author couldn't be bothered with one. If you think it's a worthy question, then you must be able to produce a worthy answer, even if it's one possible answer from many, or a general or ambigious one.

JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar
JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar
Offered by Pure Source Nutrition
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 27 May 2010
Assembly: Very easy, it took 5 minutes. I don't see why some people posting 1/2/3 star reviews said this was difficult. Honestly a monkey could probably figure it out. You don't need any tools because they give you the pocket-wrench you need to screw in the four bolts. That's all it is, 4 bolts, and a long bar that slides together from two pieces.

Installation: My door frame sticks out about 1 cm from the wall. The bar sits on it easily because the distribution of weight pulls the iron-gym inwards as well as downwards, therefore I would never expect it to come off while doing chin-ups. You'll need a door-frame that has a little bit of space on either side, and this can't be the face of the door-frame with the door on it obviously.

Use: The plastic bit that sits on the door-frame is roughly 40 cm long. Therefore it is very unlikely to cause any damage because the weight is distributed evenly across the whole 40 cm. I read one review that caused me to consider not buying this product, he said it ripped a hole in his door-frame. I personally think this is impossible because if this were going to make a hole, it would be a 40 cm wide hole, and that would only happen if the whole door-frame was completely rotten. So if your door-frame is not crawling with termites, you should be OK! I think some of the negative reviews are written by people from competing companies. Amazon should be more careful.

Results: After my first work-out I am still stiff two days after, so I think it did a good job on me! Great for chin-ups. Obviously most door frames are just over 6 feet high, so consider that you will need to bend your legs when doing chin-ups.