Profile for Professus > Reviews

From Tottenham To Tennessee
From Tottenham To Tennessee
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This pair have ballads, 26 Jan 2014
I ain't no ivory tickler, ax man or fiddler but I knows sumfing good when I `ears it... Regional dialect hasn't exactly kept these boys down, but, to me, they remain severely underrated - especially, in fact, as sophisticated balladeers. Here you can check out gems that don't appear on most compilations (`That old piano', `Where am I gonna find ya?', `I'm going back' stand out). Seriously crafty, classy stuff - get it with your rabbit from Sainsbury's for a fiver.

Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012
Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012
by Geoffrey Hill
Price: 31.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Climbing this Hill needs the proper gear, 24 Jan 2014
Challenged by Hill's reputation as the greatest living poet and, particularly, as a highly allusive one, I was happy to wait over a year to get hold of his collected work (so far?) and see how it influences me. I was disappointed with the complete lack of introduction and notes - especially coming from OUP and Kenneth Haynes. (Compare this academic product with 'Geoffrey Hill - Collected Critical Writings'). I believe that part of the joy/meaning of poetry for the reader is identifying/understanding references. Something of a lost necessity then, this important book may be beyond reach for most of us - it threatens to turn a difficult Hill into an impassable mountain.

First Boredom, Then Fear: The Life of Philip Larkin
First Boredom, Then Fear: The Life of Philip Larkin
by Richard Bradford
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Life IS like that,and so are we, 23 April 2012
The poem-related observations in this book had me juggling it with the recent 'Complete Poems' (Archie Burnett, Ed.). They helped me feel the thrusts of Larkin's 'emotional spear points' more acutely. I warm to the distinction between poetic truth and prosaic posturing that he had to respond to - we should read more (Larkin's) poems and less novels. It is a shame that his limited emotional development meant that he ran out of perspectives on life, but his narowness was profoundly pictured. The biographical detail in this book gives valuable and enjoyable access to the depth of Larkin's superficially 'accessible' poetry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 3:11 PM GMT