Profile for Amy > Reviews

Cute and Easy Crochet
Cute and Easy Crochet
by Nicki Trench

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ideas but not for absolute beginners, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cute and Easy Crochet (Paperback)
I bought this book as an absolute beginner to crochet. The pattern ideas in it are lovely and the yarn has been easy to find online. The stitches are explained with diagrams at the beginning, however I didn't find them easy to follow. I had to look up how to double crochet online as I didn't understand the explanation in the book. Also the book assumes you already know how to do certain things like how to "block" your work (had to look this up online too). As this book is called cute and easy crochet I would have expected every step in the process to be explained, much like in the Stitch and Bitch knitting books. So, this book is great but for crochet newbies you will also need access to the internet or someone who can help you out.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favourite books, 2 Oct. 2012
I love this book - I borrowed it from the library and then I had to buy it so I could read it whenever I want to. I thought it would be really twee and was a bit put off by the cover and title (shallow aren't I!) but actually it's not.
It's just a really lovely and interesting storyline with eccentric characters set in the aftermath of world war 2. It's the sort of book you can read again because there are parts you'll look forward to.
The plot follows a young female writer who is stuck for inspiration who by chance starts corresponding with a man living on Guernsey, and then with his friends from a reading club. The book is written on the format of letters between the main characters.
Some parts are funny, sad and romantic. The main character is really likeable and stands up for herself.
I'd definitely recommend this book to a friend.

The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes
The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes
by B Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars not for veggies, 2 Oct. 2012
I like this book but I felt like it didn't really cater for vegetarians (I'm not one but I don't like to eat too many meaty meals) - On the Feedzone book website they point out how many vegetarian recipes there are. Actually there are only one or two main meals. You could substitute meat with quorn or something similar for some recipes but not all. Otherwise I thought it was good, with interesting snack ideas.

SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficulty making playlists, 30 May 2012
I really like this player, it's easy to navigate around, very small and the sound quality is good. I'm only giving it three stars though as I've had such problems when trying to create playlists on it. I assumed I would be able to create a playlist in Windows Media Player and then drag and drop it to the MP3 player but this doesn't work. A quick look at several discussions on the internet showed that other people are having this problem too. I've tried following the instructions on the Sandisk website but they don't seem to work - it's driving me crazy, I have spent about four hours trying to do this now!
If I ever figure out how to move my playlists to the device I will give it more stars, but for anyone who isn't great with computers or has a short attention span or not much patience I wouldn't recommend purchasing this item. I don't understand why they had to make it so difficult to synch with the computer.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2012 2:07 PM BST

Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)
Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)
by Karl F. Kuhn

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 22 April 2012
I liked this book, it was easy to understand.
Each section has a set of questions to test if you have understood what you have read. The only problem I found with this was that the answers are printed directly underneath the questions so you have to read the book with a sheet of paper handy to cover up the answers at all times! I found this a bit annoying. If only the answers had been printed at the end of the chapter or at the back of the book it would have been much better.