Profile for Kevin > Reviews

Converse Unisex Chuck Taylor All Star Core Hi-Top Trainer
Converse Unisex Chuck Taylor All Star Core Hi-Top Trainer
Price: £19.99 - £95.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades. Master of all., 5 Feb 2011
I've owned Chucks since I was ten, and I always go back to them. Use them how it suits you, they're a great everyday shoe, a trainer, a running shoe, a plimp, mono blacks will get you into all but the strictest of clubs. Battered up Chucks are just as fashionable as new, and they hold together well. I'll usually get five years out of them before I manage to destroy them, and that's with real abuse, work, festivals, motorbiking (I know I shouldn't, but I promise I won't come crying to you if I break my ankle).
The sizes are slightly on the small size, so if you're a big 8 but a small 9, order a 9. New ones take about a day to get comfortable, and that's really all the breaking in they need.

Koss Porta Pro Stereo Over-Ear Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Black/Silver
Offered by DiscountDiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional sound and comfort. Exceptional value., 21 Sep 2010
After reading all the good reviews for these headphones, I have to admit I had higher expectations than I normally would for this kind of price tag.
First impressions were mixed. The clue is in the portaPro name I guess, but they're far smaller and lighter than I expected, and upon first listen, I was a little underwhelmed. Despite the mild disappointment, I kept an open mind, and within a couple of weeks of frequent use I really started to appreciate them.
The comfort factor is a big issue for me, my previous Sony cans would just become too much to bear after a couple of hours. With these the pressure is really taken off the ears with the adjustment in the comfortZone switch and the headband. Unfortunately all this adjustment resets when you take them off, but once you get used to it, readjustment takes a mere second.
I'm sure the sound has improved with running these headphones in. As mentioned in other reviews, they do have a lot of bass, and they're rather loud. I wouldn't say the bass is over the top though, and I enjoy the experience. Overall clarity is exceptional, particularly considering their size. Even at loud levels, there is very little evidence of distortion.
I have grown to love these headphones in a very short space of time, but they're not for everyone. Of course, the unique style is going to turn as many people off as it does on. There is a lot of sound leakage from these too, your music isn't going to stay that private with these. It really depends on how and where you plan to use these, they're purely 'at home' headphones for me.
If you like the retro style, and leakage isn't a problem, then I think these are the best sub-£20 headphones you're ever going to find.
EDIT; With several months of burning in, these headphones loose much of that excessive bass, and sound much cleaner and more balanced. They just get better with time.

Everything is Broken: The Untold Story of Disaster Under Burma's Military Regime
by Emma Larkin

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and gripping,, 30 Aug 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Emma Larkin's visit to Burma is a fascinating story. A cyclone severe enough to bring all but the wealthiest of countries to it's knees ravaged Burma in 2008, and the military dictatorship, fearful of losing it's grip on power, refuses virtually all help, leaving thousands to die.
The book is descriptive, although much of it second hand information, Larkin does at least get close to the source. She paints a vivid picture that makes you want to carry on reading.
An interesting read that really makes you realise how good you have it.

Zotrim Herbal Weight Loss Aid 90+90 Tablets
Zotrim Herbal Weight Loss Aid 90+90 Tablets
Offered by PriceBlitzer Vitamins

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle pill..., 27 Jun 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
...but of course, miracle pills don't exist (not for dieting, anyway).
Zotrim does seem to make a difference, following the directions, I genuinely did seem to feel full quicker, and for longer. Surprisingly so, as I didn't have high expectations for these. Of course, willpower is very much required, although I didn't feel hungry, I still felt that I could quite happily munch down a Toffee Crisp. For me, the tablets do assist, but it's still taking a lot of effort on my part.
I am finding myself question whether it's simply a placebo effect, or even if it's just the fact you have to drink a full glass of water with the tablets, but if you're serious about reducing your weight, I'd have to say these are worth a try.

Sony MDR-NC6 Noise-cancelling Headphones
Sony MDR-NC6 Noise-cancelling Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable, quality headphones., 18 May 2010
I've had my NC6s since 2004, and mine are refurbished 'brown box' ones from a Sony outlet store. I was originally sold on the noise cancelling feature, which has only been useful to me on a plane, were they really do reduce the drone. Since buying them though, they have been used almost every day as normal headphones, with my laptop. They have been a faithful servant, taking much abuse over the years, they're definitely well put together.
The sound quality is very good, although it doesn't blow you away. I've always found them to give enough depth to genuinely enjoy the music I'm listening to. I'm sure it's possible to get a better sound from more expensive headphones.
The only area these headphones really drop a point is with comfort. I can wear them quite happily wear them for a couple of hours, and they sit firmly. Although not heavy, I have a problem with the pressure they put on the ears. It gradually gets to a point wear you simply can't wear them any longer. I am a glasses wearer which obviously doesn't help.
Oh, and to the people who claim noise cancelling is incorrectly spelt as canceling on the headphones, Sony have simply gone with the American spelling. Give them a break! (Game Boy Color anyone?)

Bragg's Medicinal Charcoal tablets 100 pack
Bragg's Medicinal Charcoal tablets 100 pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Great natural remedy., 20 Mar 2010
Charcoal is, quite frankly, amazing for your digestive system.
Never mind those tiny little 'friendly bacteria' drinks that cost a fortune, if you get that bloated feeling, a few of these tablets sort you out in no time.
One drawback with the Braggs ones are that they're not coated, so they get a bit messy. Some major health food retailers have ones in capsules that are much cleaner. All have the same great effect.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2012 2:01 AM GMT

Mayday: Air Disasters [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Mayday: Air Disasters [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Stephen Bogaert
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, the series seen on National Geographic., 20 Mar 2010
This is season 1 of the series shown in the UK on five and National Geographic as 'Air Crash Investigation'. Season 1 is showing it's age a little now, but the quality of the production and narration is still far superior to many of the other documentary DVDs of this genre available.
The box includes two discs, with three episodes on each. There isn't any bonus material, so the DVD menus are very basic, but do the job.
If you're interested in this subject, this is the DVD you should be buying, let's hope the other seasons follow soon!

Linksys by Cisco WUSB100 Wireless N USB Adapter
Linksys by Cisco WUSB100 Wireless N USB Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly as it claims., 20 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Supplied in a glamourous but wastefully over sized retail box, this Cisco wireless adapter is tiny in actual size, appearing to be slimmer (though about as long) as most USB flash memory drives. The unit is sleekly finished, and with the reassuring Cisco logo on the top, it looks like a premium product. It even has a little recess to clip the cap on to, so you don't loose it.
Setting up on Windows Vista was easy, using the supplied CD. I was presented with a setup wizard, with all the usual fare for a Windows based installer. The process took just a few minutes, and I was up and running.
Wifi reception was very strong, and there was a noticeable improvement in speed when transferring files on my Wireless 802.11n network. It's worth noting though that if you don't have an 'n' router, this adapter will simply work at the older 'g' or 'b' speeds. My broadband connection is slower than my wireless network, so although I saw a speed increase on the network, using the internet isn't any quicker, worth bearing in mind if you're looking to upgrade your whole network. All that said, this isn't expensive, and you are future-proofed to some degree.
There's no mention of Windows 7 support in the supplied documentation. I only have Vista so couldn't try it out. Hopefully someone else will be able to post a review telling us if it works on 7 or not!
I also tried this out on Ubuntu 9.10, but couldn't get it to work.

Sunshine Cleaning [DVD] [2009]
Sunshine Cleaning [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and totally entertaining., 16 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was only moderately interested in watching this film, in fact, it took me ages to get around to it.
What I got was a total surprise though. The film is often dark, and frequently deals with death, and poverty, along with the social problems poverty itself can bring.
A great variety of characters are thrown in to the mix here, and early decisions you may make about their character inevitably changes as the story progresses.
This film isn't fast paced, action seekers will be disappointed, what you do get is a real story, with drama, and the occasional laugh.
Well worth a look.

I Need You Tonight
I Need You Tonight

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of fun, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: I Need You Tonight (Audio CD)
A summer track that grabs your attention.
The loop of INXS' Need You Tonight brings energy and fun to a rap that never takes itself too seriously.
Refreshing.