Profile for M. Ratcliff > Reviews

Content by M. Ratcliff

M. Ratcliff (Leicester, England)

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and value, 13 Feb. 2016
For the price these are excellent headphones. Are they as good as my Grados? No, but they are a fraction of the price and being closed back (unlike the Grados) they do not leak sound and do block any external noises.Comfort has to be a personal opinion and will vary with the size of your head, ears and the angle of your ears to your skull. All I can say is they suit both myself and my wife and the fit ensures no audible leakage, even in a quiet room. As others have noted, when used to play MP3s on my Moto mobile the volume does need to be towards the top of its range and may be a fraction quiet for those who really thrash their eardrums. The sound quality is better when driven from the headphone ouput of a Marantz CD deck, but that has a better ampifier than a mobile phone and is coming from a CD and not a compressed MP3 file.

I find some of the 1 and 2 star ratings surprising as I find both the sound quality and construction to be excellent. On the headphone's box was a sticker with a code and hologram that you can use to check online if they are genuine Sennheisers or a copy. This makes me think there are cheap rip offs about that may account for some of the reviews.

I gave these five stars based on the quality of the sound and comfort for the price paid - perhaps 4.5 would be a fairer rating if the system allowed it. You can buy better headphones, but could spend a lot more to achieve it.

Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer
Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer
Offered by Tenzy

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressively Quiet, 14 July 2015
This is a whisper-quiet drive and great value, especially at the £11.71 I paid. Apart from the drive (with black front) you also get alternative silver and ivory fronts and a SATA cable. With the drive being so quiet it highlighted the fact that the LED on the front panel is recessed and difficult to see if your computer is mounted below the desk - it's the only indication it is actually reading the disc! Compared to the clunk and whirr of my old drive this is a major improvement to my PC.

Anker 3.5 inch Front Panel USB Hub with 2 USB 3.0 Ports [20 Pin Connector & 2ft Adapter Cable]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 14 July 2015
A well-made product at an excellent price. My computer's case had a spare bay for a floppy drive and this fitted perfectly with the mounting holes placed correctly to bring the front of the unit flush with the case's front panel. The cable was more than long enough to reach the header on the motherboard, giving me two USB 3 sockets in addition to the ones on the rear of the computer.

Asus H97M-E Motherboard (H97, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX, 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x 16, HDMI, USB 3.0, Socket 1150)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner, 25 Jun. 2015
The first one I bought came in a box with no security seal and the contents not that well packed. After installing with a new CPU as an upgrade to my old motherboard there was no video output from either of the standard connectors. Amazon replaced it rapidly with no quibble and the new one (in a sealed box) was quickly installed and working with no difficulty. Coupled with an existing SSD it is very fast and quiet, with the BIOS screen being a pleasure to use. The only minor problem I encountered was that my case had a three pin connector for the power led on the front panel (with only two contacts used) and the board has two pins. Either remove the extra way on the plug with a file or buy a new housing for a few pence.

I guess I was unlucky and the first board was a returned unit that went back into stock and wasted me a few hours. Anyway, praise to Amazon for replacing it so quickly with what has turned out to be a board I would recommend to anyone, except possibly keen gamers who need the fastest systems available.

Body Cap & Rear Lens Cap for Sony E-Mount (NEX, A6000, A7 etc) Cameras and E Mount Lenses
Offered by Jack the Hat Photographic

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Product, 22 May 2013
Lens and body caps are not the most exciting purchase to make, though its good when they arrive and you see these are very well made. Not the flimsy, shiny plastic products I have seen in the past from some suppliers, but solidly made with an attractive matte finish and no sharp edges. It's a pity Sony do not include them in the NEX-6Y kit.

JVC HAS150/BX Flats Headphones for iPad, iPod and iPhone - Black
JVC HAS150/BX Flats Headphones for iPad, iPod and iPhone - Black
Offered by Gasteiner Technologies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price, 23 Oct. 2011
My ears just aren't suited to those ear buds so based on the reviews I tried a pair of these to use with my Galaxy Ace phone. They are relatively small and light with a sound quality that belies the price - ideal for what I wanted. Based purely on the sound quality, compared with others costing a lot more, I would have given them four stars but at just over £10 they have to be worth the maximum rating.

Tuff-Luv Traditional Leather case cover for Amazon Kindle Keyboard / Kindle 3 / Global Wireless 6 inch / 15 cm Book Style - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuff Protection, 6 Oct. 2010
I considered several different Kindle covers until I finally plumped for this one. The Kindle slides into its compartment with a strap at the top ensuring there's no chance of it falling out unexpectedly - I never trusted the ones with just a strap across each corner. It also offers a lot of protection for both the front and back of the Kindle while allowing easy access to all the buttons, sockets and switches. Tuff it may be, but the spine is flexible and the front cover can easily be folded back so it can be held in one hand.

Neatly stitched and well finished - you may have guessed I am pleased with my purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2010 1:00 PM BST

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 Standard Keyboard and Optical Mouse
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 Standard Keyboard and Optical Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars A great combination for the price, 12 July 2007
After installing the software, inserting the supplied batteries and plugging in the transmitter everything worked first time. The keyboard has a good feel for typing and the additional keys are useful for adjusting the volume and jumping between tracks when playing a CD. As most of the software I use does not require the Function keys I am happy to accept the alternative functions, such as Undo and Help, assigned to them. If you prefer the usual Function keys a single press of the F Lock key returns them to their "normal" state.

Some users may find the weight of the two batteries in the mouse makes the unit heavier than they prefer, though for me it was no problem. It fits my hand and I prefer this shape to the taller ones that come with extra buttons on the side - which I frequently press accidently. The scroll wheel clicks as it rotates, though it is not as well defined as some others I have used. Someone commented that sometimes when they used the scroll wheel the pages reduced in size, which is the default function when you press the wheel. With my example sufficient force was required to make accidental pressing unlikely. If you do find this a problem the feature can be disabled (or changed to another function) in the mouse's software.

Overall I found this to be a good package that meets all my needs at a reasonable price.