Profile for sanderella > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Hope and Vengeance (Saa Thalarr, book 1): Saa Thalarr, book 1
Hope and Vengeance (Saa Thalarr, book 1): Saa Thalarr, book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars New series about the Saa Thalaar., 14 Feb. 2014
'"If vampires were for sale, every woman on the planet would have one," Kiarra mumbled when she opened her eyes.'
Please read Connie Suttle's novels to find out why. In Connie's universe, this story occurs about 2 years before Lissa is turned.You need to read all the previous novels to find out the names and characters in this book. As a stand-alone novel it won't make sense. Great read, I love Connie Suttle!

Blood Finale (God Wars Book 5)
Blood Finale (God Wars Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant series of stories, 21 Dec. 2013
This is just a quick review, written late at night, and I hope to improve it soon. I can hardly express how delighted I am to read the final book in Connie Suttle's amazing story. In a series of twenty-six books she has created an amazing universe populated with many different life-forms, with a continuing story of their thoughts and actions. The characters are real and I grew to love them over the months as I read them.

I can only compare her creation with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series, yet Tolkien did not write as much, or create so many different characters, and I cannot think of anyone else who has been so creative and productive. Many of Connie's main characters are female, so the books especially appeal to women. Connie's characters have lightened my life, and I am very grateful to her for my enjoyable trips into her imagination. I do not know of any other author who has such a good imagination, and her work is wonderful.

Aralorn: Masques and Wolfsbane
Aralorn: Masques and Wolfsbane

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fantasy, lots of movement and adventure., 19 Nov. 2013
I like Patricia Brigg's books, and enjoyed this one. There are two stories, both about the same characters, Aralorn and her wolf, doing things that can only happen in fantasies: lots of magic, evil creatures, shape-shifting, etc. I like this author because she is able to make the readers feel the emotions that her characters are feeling, and only a handful of writers can do that for me. Four stars, and recommended.

Collins Official Scrabble Lists
Collins Official Scrabble Lists
by Collins Dictionaries

2.0 out of 5 stars This book's pages fall apart., 17 Nov. 2013
Good points: it has most of the words you will need for playing scrabble.
Poor point: the pages are only glued in and come apart very quickly. Why didn't the publisher sew the pages in?

The Holy war, made by King Shaddai upon Diabolus, for the regaining of the metropolis of the world; or, the losing and taking again of the town of Mansoul

5.0 out of 5 stars This is John Bunyan's best book., 17 Nov. 2013
It is the story of how the devil made war upon mankind, with insights into other characters like Lord Fornication and the demon doubters. A good story better than 'Pilgrim's Progress', but more for adults than children.

Paradise Regained (Paradise series Book 2)
Paradise Regained (Paradise series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-long love, 17 Nov. 2013
I prefer this book to the more famous 'Paradise Lost'. It is more optimistic and it gives wonderful insights into what Christ might have said. I have loved this poem for many years, and recommend it to everyone.

Antigone (Hackett Classics)
Antigone (Hackett Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if you just want to know the story., 31 Oct. 2013
This is a translation of the text of the play (from the Greek). Antigone is, well, very much an Antigone figure, the woman who never changes her mind, and dies for her beliefs in the end. She wants to bury her brother, but Creon, her uncle, forbids it. One of the reasons for the continuing success of the play is because it portrays the human problems of dissent and compromise in every age. It became popular during The Troubles in Northern Ireland for that reason.

This is quite an old translation, suitable for readers who just want to know the story, but for those who are studying seriously I recommend you get your school's preferred translation.

After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse
After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse

4.0 out of 5 stars I have to say I like it, even with its faults, 31 Oct. 2013
The illustrations are lovely, that's the best thing about it. Like the other reviewers, I was disappointed that there was so little text from Charlaine Harris. I read it in half an hour. This is not a novel, it's a sort of biography of the characters, in alphabetical order, and people may feel its not worth the money. However I am glad I bought it, it finishes all of the Sookie stories, and gives some details of Ms Harris's next novel, which will contain some supernatural bits.

Blood Love (God Wars Book 4)
Blood Love (God Wars Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of love in this one, 15 Sept. 2013
This is the penultimate book in the long series about the Le'Ath Veronis universes. All our favourite characters get together to try to defeat the evil god who wants to destroy everything. There are good and bad surprises. Connie is a good writer who can make you laugh or cry. Near the end of the book we discover who the Mighty Mind is, what a surprise! And the ending is another cliff-hanger.

I hope the final book will wrap up all the loose ends, and leave them all living happily ever after, but there's no promise of that....

Isms: Understanding Modern Art
Isms: Understanding Modern Art
by Sam Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 9 Sept. 2013
I bought this paperback when I was doing an Open University course on art history. It was useful in helping me to sort out the differences in modern art and recognise the various 'isms'. Some of the isms developed from previous art forms, and some of them were reactions or rejections of previous isms. If you need to know your Dali from your Picasso, this is the book for you. After you have read it you can use the Internet to search for more artists, as this book gives you only a opening guide. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6