Profile for S. Stevens > Reviews

Content by S. Stevens

S. Stevens "cranberry66" (Surrey)

The White Darkness
The White Darkness
by Geraldine McCaughrean

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid and beautiful, 5 July 2008
This review is from: The White Darkness (Paperback)
White Darkness is a beautiful, imaginative and satisfying read. Very believable characters and a great heroine in Sym. Her constant companion,
Titus Oates, gives her so much strength although he is only in her head!The landscape of the Antarctic is brought to life so vividly. The cold, the snow, the slowness of time passing in difficult circumstances all feel so real to the reader. Many twists and unpredictable turns along the way, all created in a lovely writing style that just feels so spot on.

Starter For 10 [DVD] [2006]
Starter For 10 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ James McAvoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging film with great music, 25 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Starter For 10 [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Really enjoyed this short film centred around a group of university students and their relationships set against the backdrop of competing in University Challenge. It is set bang in the middle of the 1980s, so loads of music by The Cure, with bits and pieces of Kate Bush, psychedelic furs, and The Smiths. Nice performances and atmosphere, a little reminiscent of The History Boys - indeed a couple of James McAvoy's friends can also be seen in that film. Enjoy.

A Spot of Bother
A Spot of Bother
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughful and funny, 31 Oct. 2006
This review is from: A Spot of Bother (Hardcover)
Like everyone I thought can this live up to 'Curious Incident......' - well, in parts I think yes. Totally different though and should be judged on its own merits. I really developed a liking for all the main characters despite their frenetic and complicated lives they have made for themselves.....You can't not like the sad, yet warm George and his hyperchondria.......Someone asked me on the train if I was enjoying this book (40 pages in) - I said yes I think so, - having finished it - yes definitely.

Exchange
Exchange
by Paul Magrs

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book about books and life, 12 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Exchange (Paperback)
I love books. I love books about books. I loved this book. This is about books, and friendship, and more books and inscurity, and well, a bit of life. Read.

The New Policeman
The New Policeman
by Kate Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical and mystical, 6 Jun. 2006
This review is from: The New Policeman (Hardcover)
Bought this as I'd read so many good reviews about it and I was not disappointed. Its so quick to read and full of magic, friendship and hope. I loved JJ - the main character and he was a refreshing sort of hero. The Irish backdrop was vivid and evocative and made me believe in magic again. Read it if you can.

Framed
Framed
by Frank Cottrell Boyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Framed (Hardcover)
I loved this book. It was charming, funny and believable. I loved Dylan and his family and all the peripheral characters in this tiny Welsh village. I haven't read MILLIONS but look forward to more of Frank's engaging writing. You will NOT fail to enjoy this book!

The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
by Penelope Lively

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, 17 July 2005
I know I know, this is a childrens book... But as a thirty-something I really loved it. It's kind of old-fashioned (written in the 70s) but Penelope Lively has a great art of creating an atmosphere. I liked James and felt that he coped very well against the odds. It's mainly a ghost story with a bit of history and childishness thrown in for good measure. If you have a spare afternoon, reading this would be a good way to fill it.

Flight From Deathrow
Flight From Deathrow
by Harry Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY, 1 May 2005
This review is from: Flight From Deathrow (Paperback)
Bought this on a bit of a whim. Actually he's a lot funnier in print I think, and I read this in a day. Deathrow is really quirky, often weird but it really appealed. If your sense of humour is slightly off middle then check it out.

Deep Secret
Deep Secret
by Diana Wynne Jones
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars READ IT!!, 1 May 2005
Fantastic! this was the first D.W.Jones I've read and I can safely say now that it won't be the last. I cared about the characters from the beginning. I laughed a lot. I couldn't put it down (cliche I know!). There are so many fantasy writers trying to grab your attention and DWJ does this with Deep Secret. I do hope other readers enjoy this as much as I did.