Profile for S Williams > Reviews

Lewis Hamilton: My Story
Lewis Hamilton: My Story
by Lewis Hamilton

1.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity ..., 20 Nov. 2007
Considering this is the official offering on Hamilton, I have to say I'm not very impressed. It's OK, but the laughably large amount of blank page around the text says it all. I nailed it in an evening and felt all the unwiser about our nation's newest sporting hero as a result.
A review in The Daily Telegraph last week of all the Hamilton books currently hitting the shelves pointed to 'The Full Story' by Mark Hughes being the best of the bunch. I've now read that as well and I don't know about the other books on offer, but I do know that The Telegraph was right about the official one, Mark Hughes' book is head and shoulders above that.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2007 2:05 AM GMT

Lewis Hamilton: The Full Story
Lewis Hamilton: The Full Story
by Mark Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars A different league ..., 20 Nov. 2007
I was reading the F1 Fanatic website the other day and came across a cracking review of this book that signed-off with this: 'If you are thinking of getting a Hamilton book, please don't be duped into thinking the official book will automatically be the best option. "The Full Story" is a far better choice.'
Having now read both of them, I can categorically say that F1 Fanatic and The Telegraph (from the review I can see above) are unquestionably correct. Mark Hughes' book is excellent and blows Hamilton's ghostwritten offering out of the water.

Rucks, Pucks and Sliders: More Origins of Peculiar Sporting Lingo
Rucks, Pucks and Sliders: More Origins of Peculiar Sporting Lingo
by Bob Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars dare i say it but it's brilliant, 20 Sept. 2007
I grew up watching Bob on Grandstand and as a Spurs fan, it pains me to say I always thought he was great. It pains me just as much to say that his book is excellent as well. It's highly entertaining and also brilliant in that I've already nailed what I'm going to give my brothers and dad for Christmas and it's only September!

The Grand Prix Companion
The Grand Prix Companion
by Alan Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars True pedigree, 5 Mar. 2007
How rare it is these days to read a first-hand account of a professional sport that isn't sensationalist, ghostwritten, or geared towards making a quick sale. This is none of the above, but charming, fascinating, and taught me a lot about a sport I thought I knew pretty well. Excellent. No question.