Profile for Ms. N. K. Neckles > Reviews

Content by Ms. N. K. Neckles

Ms. N. K. Neckles "oldbore" (UK)

My Turn: Women's Search for Self After the Children Leave
My Turn: Women's Search for Self After the Children Leave
by Patricia Gottlieb Shapiro

4.0 out of 5 stars Deals with a lot of things I'd never articulated, 9 Mar 2011
This book, though quite analytical and with regular references to empirical findings which make it feel slightly text book-ish,deals with a whole host of concepts which until I read this, I thought I was the only person to be feeling/thinking. In that respect it was very reassuring, and ultimately inspirational.

The topic is huge, and the author has interviewed a large number of women from a wide variety of life situations (widowed, divorced, homemaker, career woman and lots of shades in between), to find whether people in these different roles experienced or dealt with this differently. I also found that enlightening and reassuring. I'd always felt hugely frustrated at not being able to work owing to my son's schooling problems; although loving being with him, the career woman in me had champed at the bit for many years. This book (though it is totally un-judgmental), has reassured me that what I did was indeed the best thing and that at least for doing this, I never felt guilt-ridden for missing milestones in his life, as many career women do.

Deals with all sorts of things such as ongoing relationships with children, how women move on, what women do with their new "freedom", other family relationships, work, social lives etc. I would highly recommend it.

It's The Thought That Counts: Why Mind Over Matter Really Works
It's The Thought That Counts: Why Mind Over Matter Really Works
by Dr. David Hamilton
Price: 7.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, really inspirational, 18 May 2010
I bought this book after seeing and hearing Dr David Hamilton a few weeks ago. I was blown away by what he said, by his dynamic presence and his total integrity. I'd been a bit cynical beforehand, thought it would be another "new age-y" thing, but I was so wrong! All his arguments/statements are based soundly on scientific research findings, nothing is pure theory, and it's incredibly powerful - the power of the mind is demonstrated over and over again, and it's really uplifting. Buy it! Read it! Remember it! Then go do it!