Profile for R. Lowe > Reviews

Content by R. Lowe

R. Lowe "LandieMan" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
5 Star Office Suspension File Manilla Heavyweight with Tabs and Inserts Foolscap Green [Pack 50]

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very heavyweight..., 21 Jan 2013
Flimsy, not what you would expect. The card is thin and the metal strips bendy. Not the traditional heavyweight expectation from 5 Star Office.

StarTech.com 3 Port PCI Low Profile High Speed USB 2.0 Adapter Card
StarTech.com 3 Port PCI Low Profile High Speed USB 2.0 Adapter Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little card...., 21 Jan 2013
This card is great, as I have come to expect from StarTech.

My one complaint is that the internal USB port is mounted on the top of the card, when using the card in a low profile slot this means some USB cables foul on the top of the PC unit! This would have been much better mounted at 90 degrees to go along the edge of the board, or at the back. I found when the cable did foul it caused the card to fail to work, the pressure on the card caused some form of connection fault in the PCI bus. I have now carved the strain relief off the USB cable and it all works very well.

2kg CO2 Fire Extinguisher From A2Z Fire With Photoluminescent ID Sign
2kg CO2 Fire Extinguisher From A2Z Fire With Photoluminescent ID Sign
Offered by A2Z Fire Extinguisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good..., 18 Jan 2013
In as much as you can tell before you have had to use it in anger, it looks good. The fire extinguisher seems quite well built, it's the size you would expect and comes with a small plastic sign 15cm x 10cm. The extinguisher also came with a hook for the wall, but no screws or fixings.

The unit is delivered with the "horn" detached, you simply remove the thumb knurled cap and thread on the horn. The only problem I had was that the nut for this horn was bigger than any of my spanners and they don't supply a tool. I finally found a large enough spanner and it was dead easy to attach and the job was done.

I would like to see this unit come with a plastic tool to attach the horn, I think a metal spanner would risk some folk over tightening, but a cheap plastic tool would do the job. I am a firm believer that if I was in an arctic hut and this box turned up, I should be able to use the product with what is provided. Attaching the horn might be awkward and thus the 4 stars.

My unit had a scratch on the handle, and the pipework looked slightly dusty... doesn't influence it's effectivness but took the edge of the presentation points.

TRIXES 3.5" Inch Internal Front Panel 4 Port USB Hub
TRIXES 3.5" Inch Internal Front Panel 4 Port USB Hub

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 18 Jan 2013
This is a reasonable enough unit, seems to do the job. The USB cable that came with it was a problem for me, it's a straight cable with strain releif, collar, etc. Alas it's an internal connector cable and many IO expansion cards for USB place their USB expansion port at the top of the box. This meant the cable when fitted to my half height PCI expansion card fouled the PC case and caused some problems! I had to "modify" the connector. It would be better shipped with a compact 90 degree USB connector that would lower the head height as much as possible, I can't be the only one who suffered this.

The plastic finish is a bit on the cheap side, but it does seem to do the job nicely once fitted, and looks ok from the outside.

LETTER CAGE,CHROME
LETTER CAGE,CHROME
Offered by Westhalls

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good one flaw..., 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: LETTER CAGE,CHROME
The Letter cage is very well made, quite well finished. It's nice solid metal, doesn't dominating on the door. It's one of the better cages I have seen and generally I'm quite happy with it.

It would be nice if the edges were a bit smoother to help avoid scratching the door as you mount it, care has to be taken. They all seem to be the same, and this one is better than many.

My only gripe is that the bars go the wrong way. As you push a letter into a letter box it's horizontal, so when it hits the back of the cage it will foul on the bars if they too are horizontal. If the horizontal bars are on the outside, with the vertical ones inside it will slide.... so the letter won't get wrinkled, or jam as the postie tries to push it in. Alas this cage is the wrong way round and large letters do jam. It's a minor issue, I bet all the others are the same... but not a 5 star result and when added to the slightly rough edges...

A shame, very nearly a 5 star result but two separate, minor but significant flaws.

Aurora 6W 240V GU10 Ultra Bright LED Light Bulbs, Bright White, 4000k 50W Equivalent (Higher Output than 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy Saving GU10 Lamps)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Halogen Replacement, 1 Nov 2012
Not a lot I can add to what has been said. I bought 2 of these due to the price and mixed them in with the numerous halogen bulbs the builder put in my new house. The colour is almost identical, the beam is very slightly narrower. The unit is a touch longer than a standard bulb but fits in my sockets. Great product, will buy more. The metal housing gives a feel of quality!

Sony SMPN200 Network Media and Internet Streamer (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony SMPN200 Network Media and Internet Streamer (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good box, but..., 17 Sep 2012
Ok, this box will be different things to different people. I wanted something a bit techie. I wanted:

a) A means of watching LoveFilm now they have ditched all their Linux clients.
b) A means to watch iPlayer
c) A means of playing my mp3 files on Synology NAS disk (supports a media server)
d) A means of playing and viewing photos and videos on the Synology NAS disk (supports a media server)
e) A DNLA renderer I could use with the synology to remote control and pipe music to.
f) A means of browsing the internet from my TV.
g) WiFi Support!

The box does all of this in varying styles. The box is a wee bit slow, and the WiFi was a pain to setup, but once done it's worked flawlessly. The software on the shipped model was obviously a big buggy, but it updated when asked to and has been MUCH beter since. The LoveFilm integration seems to work well enough, the iPlayer has suffered from insufficient buffer and locking up. This doesn't happen all the time, I have a 6M pipe, but it does drop periodically. I was dissapointed to find it buffered and even more disappointed when I had to reset the iPlayer to get it to restart. When it works, it's fine. When it doesn't it's a pain!

Playing of MP3 and MP4 is great, my Synology NAS supports a media server and this seems to integrate nicely. I can also see the windows media servers. The almost undocumented iPhone and Android Remote control apps are much better than the shipped controller, the whole unit though does suffer from it's processor being a bit on the sluggish side. It's such a shame, in this day and age it costs pennies for a bigger processor with a bit more RAM.

DNLA rendering works nicely. Most pleased.

Playing MP3 videos, works nicely but the fast forward is rather clunky. There seems to be no clock, so when editing my sister-in-laws wedding video. Final proof on the TV, great... couldn't write down the time it did anything wrong and the controls seemsed less than stable. It did play it though, no problem there.

Web Browsing, oh dear web browsing. Yes it can do it. OMG you need patience, or an iPad to type via the remote control app. I would love to see this device support wireless keyboard. It has a USB port, but as far as I know it doesn't support a remote keyboard. I do hope to be proven wrong! The browser is OK, but feild selection is old style tab order and developers of websites don't support that properly any more. Text entry is clunky and slow. Support of wireless keyboards would resolve this, so I really hope it comes about.

Generally, I'm very pleased with this box. It does all I need, it's not going to set the heather alight but it ticks the boxes and I can now watch Dr Who on the big TV, several times. I can also pipe music and integrate in to the DNLA. A most happy camper, but it does have a few niggles.

Rexel Odyssey Personal Heavy Duty Stapler Silver with a Box of 500 Odyssey Staples

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Kit, 11 May 2012
Second one of these I have bought, nice solid build, easy to store, staples easy to get. The only think I wish it had was a longer arm.

Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Audio CD)
Bruce definitely has the world economy on his mind, but his perspective rings true just as much for the UK as the US. Fantastic album, have listened to it non-stop since it arrived.

APC BE700G-UK 405 Watts /700 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port USB Power-Saving Back-UPS
Offered by Ebuyer UK Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, good unit., 16 Mar 2012
This unit does exactly as it says on the tin. A good solid little unit. The stories of the battery being badly designed and awkward to fit are somewhat overstated. As an electronics engineer it looks completely normal to me, nicely built and easy to setup. A fire and forget unit. the software was simple to setup too. It took me 20 minutes to be up and running with my server, including shutdown time. You can't argue with that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10