Profile for S2b an OAP > Reviews

Content by S2b an OAP

S2b an OAP "worzelrummage" (East Anglia, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sennheiser OCX 686i Sports Earphones - iPhone
Sennheiser OCX 686i Sports Earphones - iPhone

4.0 out of 5 stars Appreciated by those much younger (and fitter) than I currently am., 30 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must point out that I have been PHYSICALLY unable to test this product personally so have relied on younger and (currently) fitter members of my family to do that for me whilst they have undertaken their own fitness regimes.

These earphones have been used whilst energetic (and dare I say 'sweaty'?) physical activity has been undertaken, usually in 'dry' surroundings so they have certainly NOT been tested in WET surroundings of any kind.

They have proved to be comfortable and to provide excellent, non-distorted music to my offspring - and music always forms an important part of their fitness regimes. These are a nice comfortable shape fitting into the ear well and the coloured cords certainly make them easy to spot! They have 'stayed put' which is important and have proved to be very reliable so far.

Max Weber
Max Weber
by Joachim Radkau

4.0 out of 5 stars A stimulating book - set aside enough time to read it!, 30 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Max Weber (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a LARGE volume of almost 700 pages (including notes and Index) so at the outset is a daunting task but one which is very worthwhile taking. I have never read anything else on Weber so I cannot compare but I can say that Joachim Radkau has tried to give us, his readers an insight into WHY Weber believed/acted/expounded certain views. It may be that the reader will go along with Radkau's theories (for that is ostensibly what they are) or it may prompt us to research further. Whatever the reader chooses the author has succeeded in stimulating the debate.

Perhaps the reputation which follows someone clouds our thinking to form any critical examination of their work, writings, understood beliefs. Darwin faced challenges to his theories whilst his written work was still 'fresh' but debate and critical examination of his relationships with others which helped from his thinking are not, to my knowledge, readily available today from authors of today. I am happy to encourage writers like Radkau, therefore to challenge 'established' and 'influential' thinkers from the past - and this book, as an example, certainly enriches that debate. So if it is the relationship with his mother, his sensuality, sexuality or religious belief, here is an opportunity to explore deeper and perhaps further as a result of reading this book.

Hangerworld 6 ft Single Waterproof Nylon Garment Rail Cover Double Zip for Easy Access, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for outdoor sellers!, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Better than any tarpaulin I've tried to use before! Sorry if that is not a great recommendation in your eyes BUT as a regular 'car-booter' in England in OUR Summer this has become a vital piece of equipment for those sudden showers and more regular downpours.

With its easy to use zips this has proved such a boon. I feel certain too that it would work well if you have a clothes rail at home and would provide safety from dust, moths etc as well as looking better than an 'open' clothes rail - I won't be using it home but I may well be BUYING one to supplement/complement this one!

Rexel JOY 2 Hole Punch - Blissful Blue
Rexel JOY 2 Hole Punch - Blissful Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product. A name you can trust!, 12 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A light-weight product, well-made and effective for those smaller jobs. It sits very neatly on the desk and the great blue colour makes it easy to spot if, like me, your desk gets covered in papers from time to time.....

Effective punching, easy to empty and a neat 'paper sizer'. A well-known and reliable branded product.

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500 ml, Mild Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500 ml, Mild Mint

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps too high a price to pay for fresh breath?, 12 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an effective breath 'freshener' which is not the most economic of similar products available. I have to say that I cannot understand the reasons for the increased price level over other 'breath-freshening' products and I would probably NOT buy the product.

The taste/after-taste is acceptable.

AEG AT5300-U 5 Series Stainless Steel 2 Slot Toaster - Black
AEG AT5300-U 5 Series Stainless Steel 2 Slot Toaster - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Bread Heaven (Almost - I just need a Butler!), 28 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This well-made toaster gives real flexibility to the toast-making exercise. When one person wants one 'colour' of toast and another something completely different it can be very frustrating - as I have found to my cost when on Breakfast duty....

This two-slice toaster has eight settings which real means that 'colour' can be refined to perfection - especially for 'she who must be obeyed'...and, if she comes down for breakfast a bit later then you can warm up the already cooked toast. Not content with toast? How about some nice warm rolls, using the special 'frame' on the toaster to do so.

It is also very easy to clean with a simple slide-out crumb tray and storage is made simpler because the electric flex can be stwoed away underneath the toaster - so no annoying trailing leads either, great!

Add to that the stylish appearance of this toaster (and it perfectly matches our kitchen), and you have bread heaven in your own home (well almost).

Rimmel London Exaggerate Smoke-n-Shine Eye Definer, Blue Steel
Rimmel London Exaggerate Smoke-n-Shine Eye Definer, Blue Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoke does NOT get IN your eyes but AROUND them!, 28 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have NOT used it myself - although I have no problem with other men using it. 'Er indoors has therefore road-tested this product on my behalf. She was particularly impressed with the pencil (if that's what it is called) as the liner could be applied in one easy movement (she tells me). The 'finished' effect was also pleasing to both the wearer and those merely 'looking on'.

With a name like Rimmel you expect a quality product and this innovative 'smoke' effect eye shadow lives up to that expectation.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll give it a SNEAK try.........

Great Myths of Child Development (Great Myths of Psychology)
Great Myths of Child Development (Great Myths of Psychology)
by Stephen Hupp

3.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start the debate!, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I should explain that I have been a Foster Parent and Childminder and that my other half works in Children's Services so the development of children is actually part of our daily conversation - and has been for at least three decades!

That said it is perhaps as important to understand the roots of 'myths' as they are described in this book and just how much modern media has impacted on that. 'Old wives tales' were, surely far more than that? Most parents learn from their own role models (if they had any) and frequently child care and child development mantras form from 'my mum/granny/auntie always said.......don't they? Is it simply that now with so m uch media bombarding us and, in the developed world those who can read, being influenced by all that information.

Although this book refers out to research and statistically proven data there are occasions when it attempts to 'debunk' myths simply because there is NO scientific evidence to support the 'myth'. I believe the author's have done well pulling previously held ideas in 2015 to enable the debate but I hope that new parents (first timers) DON'T read it (yet) because this may leave more questions than it answers - although the authors are unafraid of giving their own opinions (new myths perhaps?).

The style includes a lot of !!!! exclamation marks and the copy I have read is in American English which may confuse some British English readers in places. It is broken down into bite-size chunks so is not to onerous to read and is not a 'heavy' text book but readers should approach it with an open mind - and, perhaps (as in my case) leave it with that open mind intact on a number of the claims made here. The research referenced is MOSTLY American based and, as such, that may jar with an English audience for whom there is no equivalent UK-based data presented.

With experience of parenting more than 60 children (so far) I am NO expert and I do NOT claim to know it all but knowledge is gleaned over years and with experience. If that was not the case we would still be sending children up chimneys to clean them - and down mines to hack the fossil fuels out of the earth to cause all that soot in the first place.

AmazonBasics Umbrella Cover
AmazonBasics Umbrella Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic is NOT the right word, 12 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our previous cover was from a large (fast) local superstore but it ripped very easily and was also very soon not waterproof. This, however, is of much better material and is partially zipped which means that we get better fitting/coverage and also, as the material is MUCH better we are sure that our umbrella is well protected.

Don't be put off by the 'basics' label as this is a good quality product and it is doing a good job protecting our umbrella. Recommended.

50 Great Myths of Human Sexuality
50 Great Myths of Human Sexuality
by Pepper Schwartz

3.0 out of 5 stars Project Completed - Cross References Rule!, 10 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The title belies the text-book nature of this book. Readers will be very well informed of the source data but they will need to be persistent as this is no easy read with all the references out in each element of this book.

Although broken down into chapters and with sub-sections covering specific topics in each it would be unwise to think that 'sound-bite' reading is a possibility for this book. It is dry and is made all the more dry for those cross-references interrupting any flow that the authors may or may not have.

I feel that I have completed my project rather than read an interesting book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20