Profile for J. Norrish > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dub Side Of The Moon
Dub Side Of The Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Prog reggae, 23 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dub Side Of The Moon (Audio CD)
Musically, this effort in re-doing Dark Side of the Moon couldn't be better. Some of the versions of the iconic Floyd tunes are increadibly clever. From the opening 'Speak to Me' through to 'On the Run' it is pretty flawless. 'Time' sounds a bit cheesy to be honest as is the section through to 'Money', however the finishing set of songs brings the piece right back up to the mark.

This version of Dark Side of the Moon will make you smile at how clever Easy Star All Stars have been, and is well worth a listen. However the 'Dubber Side of the Moon' follow up is closer to the Floyd's effort in that it is far more experimental in its approach. Give them both a go!

Dubber Side Of The Moon
Dubber Side Of The Moon
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier Star all Stars!, 23 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dubber Side Of The Moon (Audio CD)
Having heard 'Dub Side of the Moon' and the brilliance of that re-interpretation, the first question is why do it again? Another dub version of the Pink Floyd masterpiece? What could we the listener possibly gain from it? Well the answer is a piece which is closer in intent to the original than 'Dub Side of the Moon'. I feel that it works as a whole rather than a collection of songs and contains many moments of experimentation just like the original. It could never be as inspirational, groundbreaking or definitive as the Floyd's version, a good comparison is with the Flaming Lips' effort of a couple of years ago.

For me, the icing on the cake are the bonus tracks, I presume they were felt to be too good to leave off, so we're lucky they are tacked on at the end. All in all I found 'Dubber Side of the Moon' a very chilled and mellow affair, I recommend you give 'Dub Side of the Moon' a go first though.

Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top
Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top
by Joey Kramer

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've hit harder!, 8 Aug. 2010
For all of his riches and adulation, Kramer comes across as a very grounded man. I felt that the book was too short (I easily read it in a day) and lacking detail. I'd be interested to learn why he dislikes Jimmy Crespo so much, he barely tells us why he considers him a 'fill in guitar player' not worth naming, or tells us why all of Aerosmith's other guitarists (Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Ray Tabano, Rick Dufay, Richie Supa) are in the thanks list at the back of the book, yet Crespo is not. I guess there is a story to tell, but maybe he fears litigation?

Kramer doesn't seek sympathy for any of his issues, he gives us a very good insight into how he feels. However, the book barely touches on Aerosmith's 70's heyday. He tells us little about the album making process, or how they came to record such great music. Having also read 'Walk this Way' I was hoping he'd give us more of an insight into their relationships.

Frankly for what you get, Hit Hard falls short for me.

And Another Thing ...: Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Part Six of Three (Hitchhikers Guide 6)
by Eoin Colfer

3.0 out of 5 stars And another thing...., 2 Aug. 2010
My goodness, he's either very brave or very stupid as the old cliche goes. For a few more cliches this book is a good place to start, however, its an OK book. Anything which will introduce people to the genius of Douglas Adams and is an enjoyable yarn can't be wholly bad.

I feel the thing which is lacking compared to Adams' work is a sense of the bizarre and insanity of the human race and some of our world leaders' decisions. The Hitchhikers' guide books were brilliantly satirical. 'And Another Thing' isn't up to the standard Adams set and frankly never could've been.

I also feel that Arthur Dent's ongoing struggles aren't given the same attention in this book. The satire in the previous titles often came from his observations on the universe, Colfer barely heads down this route. I do like the attention given to Zaphod and Thor in particular, though there is a depth of exasperation with the universe lacking in this book, Eoin is obviously a happier person than Adams was.

A brave effort, I feel that Colfer does a good immitation with his scene setting and description of situations though ultimately the one book in the series I'll revisit less frequently.

Highway To Hell
Highway To Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 29 July 2010
This review is from: Highway To Hell (Audio CD)
One look at the cover of Highway to Hell tells you so much about the music which lies therein. The devil in Angus, the cheek of Bon's grin, Malcom to the fore - like his riffs, Phil and Cliff in the background holding their end up.

Highway to Hell opens with the eponymous tune. A brilliant atmospheric tome all about life on the road in a rock 'n' roll band. How is it that AC/DC wrote so many songs on the subject of being AC/DC and never once sounded up their own arses? However, Highway to Hell (the song) is their best effort at summing it up.

The songs then keep coming. They keep coming with such a force, with so much energy but also with a tenderness which only Bon Scott could manage (sorry Brian) until the genius of Nightprowler. A song about watching your girlfriend getting undressed without her knowing you're there. Bon sings it with such feeling, passion and pulls off a trick which so few songs do these days. You're there with him, you can envision the setting in your mind's eye. Then it (with hindsight, very sadly) ends with Bon's ironic farewell.

If you're reading this having never heard this brilliant album, you owe yourself the pleasure. Then you owe your friends the pleasure also. If your parents hate guitar music, They'll hate it even more when they hear this, its THAT good.

Seminal.

Rocks
Rocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Never better, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Rocks (Audio CD)
Aerosmith have rightly claimed their space in the history of Rock 'n' Roll as America's greatest ever band. This album is indispensable. If you are a fan of guitar driven rock music, then 'Rocks' is a must have. The band make it sound so effortless. There are no floors, no filler, not a single wasted second.

The best advice one can give is if you've heard Aerosmith's music such as 'Love in an Elevator' or 'Rag Doll or maybe 'Jaded', then there's no doubt you'll adore all of rocks. If you're undecided on whether to buy it, for the price, what harm can it do?

I love the sound of groups hitting their peak, and though Aerosmith have produced some wonderful moments since, 'Rocks' is their masterpiece.

Time Flies 1994-2009
Time Flies 1994-2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Great singles band., 1 July 2010
This review is from: Time Flies 1994-2009 (Audio CD)
To add my opinion for what its worth, far too many reviewers here are mentioning Oasis in the context of their first two albums and going on to critisise the rest of their releases. In doing so, I feel they are missing the point. We are reviewing this collection of singles - nothing else, so I'll try to stick to the matter in hand.

Back in 1994, Oasis came onto the scene as an underground band which only those amongst us lucky enough had heard of. They gained airplay nationally via the likes of the Mark Radcliffe show, evening session and were famous for their TV appearance on the Word. All the while I remember them primarily as a singles band. One which myself and a few mates loved and were completely devoted to.

The first song that grabbed me by the throat was 'Supersonic'. I'd heard the turgid indie scene which followed Madchester, aside perhaps from Suede and the Manics, but here was a song which as a 22 year old was a manifesto. I mean has anyone spoken to me with such a perfect line as 'I'm feeling Supersonic, give me gin and tonic' before or since?!

Following that, the great singles kept coming. The period between Supersonic and Don't look back in anger was as good a run of singles that any band had put together since the Jam. Period. Oasis were exceptional in producing 3-4 minute pop songs which spoke to us.

Then came 'D'you know what I mean?' Having waited with baited breath and hearing it for the first time, my answer to Oasis, was frankly no, I didn't. I was very disappointed. Oasis had lost something. Maybe it was too many lines of coke, living in each others' pockets for too long, ego massage or probably all of that and more.

However despite the turgid mid period singles, every now and then they'd unleash a belter which reminded you of their early brilliance. I love 'Go let it out', 'Hindu Times', 'Little by Little' and particularly 'The Importance of Being Idle' (if you've not seen the video, get on youtube right now!').

To my mind, I wasn't sad to hear of their demise. For me, they have lasted their course. In doing so however, I think they have played their part in making pop music worth talking about again. Have Razorlight done that? Shed Seven? Muse???? No.

You could do worse than using this as a starting point, however, I think its rather unnecessary. All of us know what's on here and what we think of it. lots will love it and lots will hate it. Oasis are not the Flaming Lips - you'd have to have lived in a cave for the last fifteen years for Oasis to have passed you by, also, I can assure you of one thing. Mine will not be the last opinionated review on it one way or the other to be printed here.

The Dark Side Of The Moon
The Dark Side Of The Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars A loving tribute, 21 April 2010
In listening to any cover version, I'm hoping for a band's own interpretation of a song. Something which may capture the essence of the original, yet it goes somewhere new and shows the original composition in a different light. One thinks of the Manic Street Preachers interpretation of Rhianna's 'Umbrella', the Jam doing 'David Watts' by the Kinks or even the Futureheads covering Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love'. Bands showing love for songs which they didn't compose.

The Flaming Lips have attempted the impossible. Covering the Dark Side of the Moon is akin to attempting to remake a classic film. A project which could be catastrophic if mishandled. Think of Psycho. Then the remake. Oh dear!

In the world of music, the Dark Side of the Moon is only equalled by the likes of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in the terms of the massive effect it had at its time of release and is able to carry to this day. Certain Albums need not be referred to by their band or artist, just by their name alone. Songs in the key of life... Thriller... Pet Sounds... They capture a moment in time and in our own lives.

The Flaming Lips have not attempted to outdo Pink Floyd, nor have they tried to redefine the songs. Some of them sound very different to their 1973 counterparts (as you'd expect). The real surprise for me is that the album flows with just the same atmosphere which comes across on the original. All of the snippets of interviews from the DSOTM have been spoken here by Henry Rollins, none of it sounds contrived. 'Money' sounds like an alien has given their reading of it, 'Us and them' is about the closest to the Floyd.

All in all, this is clearly a labour of love. One which has been completed for fun above all else, not as a chance to massage egos or pay some bills. Hearing this made me want to listen to the Floyd's epic DSOTM again, I guess that was part of the Lips' vision.

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

5.0 out of 5 stars Kasabian mature, 27 July 2009
In these days of mp3's, seldom do I listen to an album repeatedly. If you're honest, you probably don't either. Its easy and convenient to skip through songs you aren't such a fan of and as such, recent releases, for me, are good if they have four songs on which I play time and again. Examples of this are the Manics latest offering and the first half of the Yeah yeah yeah's 'Its Blitz!'

Its no exageration to say that its been a decade since I listened to a record time and again. It would probably have been 'Urban Hymns' by the Verve. Kasabian have broken that trend for me. They've created a record which whilst not instant, grew on me. There are stand out tracks - 'Underdog' and 'Fire' being the obvious choices, but 'Secret Alphabets' is an example of a real grower of a song, and the depth which they've developed since 'Empire'.

The overall feeling is of an album like 'Exile on Main Street' or 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' in that it works as a body of work best listened to as a whole. Yes, the singles are good, but the aforementioned 'Fire' and 'Underdog' have even more bite alongside the the simmering title track.

This album may not entice you on first listen, following a week or two, you may (like me) have been utterly charmed by it.

Blade Runner - The Final Cut (5-Disc Ultimate Collectors' Edition) (Cardboard Edition) [1982] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by Films and Figures (Free Recorded Delivery On All Orders)

5.0 out of 5 stars Workprint, 6 Dec. 2007
Finally I got to see the legendary workprint of Blade Runner and it didn't disappoint. The workprint was screened by accident at a science fiction convention many moons back and as a result the 'director's cut' was made. Why? Well, the workprint doesn't contain many of the things that made the original theactrical version(s) flawed. The dire narration, the happy ending, none of these things are here. Also far less of Vangelis' soundtrack is here with a great deal of 'bog standard orchestrated film noir' music instead. The result is a very different, sharper film indeed.

It is far superior to the latter 'original' cut, and for my money even better than the 'director's cut' (lots of scenes are rawer and as a result less contrived). The only thing that could've been better would have been the inclusion of the unicorn scene, however, as this is a workprint (hence a work in progress) then it couldn't have been spot on.

Blade Runner is a remarkable piece of work in all of its forms. (I haven't yet watched the 'final cut' but I know I'm in for a treat) Its a beautifuly shot and timeless vision of the future. The world is now closer to the year 2019 in which it is set than the 1982 when it was released and Ridley Scott was spookily close in predicting how we'd be living. As I look out across my home city on a dark wet night with over-crowded streets, the endless adverts on plasma screen televisions in almost every window I wonder if we'll ever see such an accurate portrayal of future living again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2009 10:58 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3