Profile for Lee Ellis > Reviews

Content by Lee Ellis

Lee Ellis

Page: 1 | 2
SUPCASE All New HTC One M8 Case - Unicorn Beetle PRO Full-body Hybrid Protective Case with Built-in Screen Protector - Dual Layer Design + Impact Resistant Bumper 2014 (Black/Black)
Offered by I-Blason UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't imagine there's a better product, other than a wooden box, 25 July 2014
Albeit somewhat bulky, it's more about function than form. This is one tough piece of kit. It has dust covers for all ports that open out (a tad fiddly for the nail biters amongst us), the built in plastic screen cover is actually surprisingly transparent, almost un-noticeable. Overall, if you want to protect your phone, I can't imagine there's a better product, other than a wooden box.

Now You See Me
Now You See Me
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
Good film, keeps you guessing.

AOC I2369VM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor (50000000:1, 250 cd/m2, 6ms, HDMI)
AOC I2369VM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor (50000000:1, 250 cd/m2, 6ms, HDMI)
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, probably the best monitor out there, 23 Jun 2014
Bought this after several months of review to find a good quality budget monitor for photography post production. I wanted something in the sub £200 region, with 23-26" screen and IPS. The viewing angles are brilliant with almost 180degree coverage from any angle, be it side to side or up and down. That was the deal clencher for me, as most small monitors tend to have poor viewing angles, which can affect ultimate picture production.

Highly recommended, no negatives found as yet.

Kärcher K2 Compact Air-Cooled Pressure Washer
Kärcher K2 Compact Air-Cooled Pressure Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars Jet washed the s*** out of everything, 28 April 2014
I can only speculate as to why I haven't bought one of these before, but it is by far the best 'big boys' toy ever.

With bated anticipation, I raced home well in excess of the speed limit in order to unwrap and test my new Karcher unit. The reason for buying it was 'er indoors (as is the reason for buying anything really). Having just spent vast swathes of cash re-doing the garden, it was time to try and remove some of this green crud from the paths and patio area. So first things first, lets test it's effectiveness against said green crud. I now have a 5 foot male phallus adorning my rear entrance. I've done the rest of the paths and gardens, but figured I'd leave the phallus as is, mainly to highlight the effectiveness of the Karcher K2 compact jet washer.

I've also found that it's great for beating children on the street at water fights. Jet wash in one hand, Kettle in the other, them pesky kids are no match for me.

E27 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
E27 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, sturdy piece of kit, does what it says on the tin, 21 Mar 2014
Bought this to convert a large screw to small screw bulb, so I could use a lower wattage bulb in my tortoise enclosure (large thread seems to be limited to 40w min, whereas 25w seems the norm for small screw).

The product itself is well made, solid feeling, and did what it should with consummate ease.

Recommended for all your large screw small screw bulb conversions.

Great seller too, well packged and fast delivery.

Quercetti Marble Run Roller Coaster
Quercetti Marble Run Roller Coaster

4.0 out of 5 stars A good idea, but flawed by it's fiddly nature, 6 Feb 2014
Bought this for my 5 year old (ok, I know it was for 7+) who liked the 'Marble Race' set we bought him last year. I like the idea of the freedom to explore physics and the endless possibilities, but my goodness, it's hard work.

So, a few days after Xmas, I set about helping my son to build what was to be an 'epic' construction of marble madness. And that's when the fun started...

Firstly, some of the pieces are very small and fiddly, and shall we say 'a tight fit'. By 'tight fit', I mean a 7lb lump hammer and a 15 stone dad getting medieval on it. But we persevered and finally made something, slightly less than magnificent. The first marble was placed on it's starting blocks, and away we go. 'Wheeeeeeeee...drop'. It managed a good 6" of the track. A little tweak here, a little tweak there, and off we go again. 'Wheeeeeee....drop'. An impressive 8" or 9" this time. Definite progress. Roll on to some time later (minus some hair and non-too amused child who'd now gone off to do something else), I finally managed to negotiate the first of 3 bends without the marble falling off. A good while later, I finally made it to the end of the approx 4m track. In excitement, I call my son back into his bedroom to marvel at my creation. Unfortunately, he very lightly knocked the run, which caused my previous 2 hours or so of fiddling, head scratching and general bemusement to be undone.

I packed it away then.

I'll be happy to give it another go once my hair has grown back and I wean myself back of the Valium.

However, I'll give it a good score because as I said, it's a great concept, and it taught me no end about basic physics, inertia, centrifugal and centripetal forces, kinetic energy and geometry. And a fair bit about how much a grown man can sweat when confronted with building such a structure.

Please...do buy this, and convince me that I'm not an inadequate father. Brilliant toy, just needs some manufacturer tweaking, maybe in the form of a slightly deeper track so the marble doesn't fall off every time a butterfly flaps it's wings at the bottom of the garden.

Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens
Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens
Offered by BOKUTRA

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be perturbed by the fact it's an import, 6 Feb 2014
Having read some reviewers comments that suggest they were upset at the fact the lens is imported, I have to say I'm delighted to say "so what?"

The lens, for all intents and purposes, is identical to it's 'UK' counterpart that Jessops et al will gladly sell you for twice the price. So for me, it's a no brainer. Even if the warranty did end up being invalid, it was £100.

On to the lens itself, ok, it's not a high end number, but you won't find a much better made, cheaper lens that does the same job. The silent wave motor is just that, silent. Although it only stops down to 4-5.6, I find that adequate, especially if used in conjunction with a tripod. The lens doesn't necessarily make a good photograph, but this lens will be adequate for any budding amateur/starter photographer. The unit is well made, solid and feels well balanced with my D5100.

So, to the nay sayers, with no genuine reason to complain, get over it. It's a bargain, and you could buy two of these for the price of one UK version.

binoculars Visionay DX 10x25 CAMO - great for bird watching etc
binoculars Visionay DX 10x25 CAMO - great for bird watching etc
Offered by OptixMania

4.0 out of 5 stars Good focal range for a cheap pair of binoculars, 28 Dec 2013
Title says it all, quite impressive for a cheap set. The kid loves them, and we can now see the lady over the road get undressed with much more clarity ;-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 9:35 AM BST

Digital Additions® Micro Remote Control RC Speedboat 1:64 Scale Black 27Mhz
Digital Additions® Micro Remote Control RC Speedboat 1:64 Scale Black 27Mhz
Offered by Digital Additions Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for precisely 5 minutes, 28 Dec 2013
Charged the boat, ran it until the battery ran out, then re-charged. And that was the end of that. Great fun for 5 minutes, then promptly returned for a refund. Very poor quality item, as echoed by a few reviewers. Save your money!

ELEKTRA Kids Hog Flashing Trike - Orange
ELEKTRA Kids Hog Flashing Trike - Orange

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit flimsy, ill fitting seat and non-functioning light, 28 Dec 2013
I had quite high hopes for this after recommendation from a friend, but was left a little disappointed. For starters, during assembly, I had to add two washers to the seat fitting as the bolts were too long to tighten. Not a big issue, but poor form. The light up wheel doesn't work, but I simply couldn't be bothered to return it due to the hassle. Lastly, the whole thing feels a little flimsy and cheaply made. The front wheel isn't solid in it's fitting as you'd find on a normal pushbike, it wobbles a lot. But, on the plus side, the kid loves it, so can't complain too much.

Page: 1 | 2