Profile for Gino Mahna > Reviews

John Sentamu's Faith Stories
John Sentamu's Faith Stories
by John Sentamu

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming book, 27 Feb. 2013
I found this book really heart-warming and uplifting. I loved the down to earth stories of the all the people chronicled in here, and it was lovely to hear their faith stories shared.

The #Pray4 Principle: Why Prayer is Still Important in a Secular Age
The #Pray4 Principle: Why Prayer is Still Important in a Secular Age
by Alexander Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary book about the place of prayer in society, 27 Feb. 2013
I pre-ordered this book a few weeks ago having seen the author talk on a weekend away. Alexander Lee has a lot of prescient things to say about the continued importance of prayer to people living in a sometimes apparently secular world.

Thomas Merton: the Exquisite Risk of Love
Thomas Merton: the Exquisite Risk of Love
by Robert Waldron

5.0 out of 5 stars new light on Merton!, 10 Dec. 2012
This book is a thoroughly worthwhile read. It is one of the few recent books to shed some new light, and provide a new perspective, on the life of Thomas Merton. It's a must have for Merton enthusiasts. The writing is clear and concise too.

Acquainted with the Night: An Exploration of Spirituality and Depression
Acquainted with the Night: An Exploration of Spirituality and Depression
by Robert Waldron

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, profound and meaningful, 21 Nov. 2012
I have come across the author before, although I can't recall where. Anyhow, I ordered this book in advance from Amazon in view of my one time career as a lecturer in psychology. Using Carl Jung as a foundation the book provides a very interesting insight into how spirituality can and has indeed been used to give expression and meaning to individuals (including the famous - TS Eliot and so forth) with depression or low mood, and how spirituality can alleviate any malaise and liberate both mind and soul. Definitely worth checking out, and I would recommend it to students in this field too.

The Scent of Lemons
The Scent of Lemons
by Jonah Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars a most important book for our times, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Scent of Lemons (Paperback)
My son is 27 years old. I see him now and again for Sunday lunch etc. And in between lulls in the conversation he is always tapping at his mobile telephone. He lives in two realities, or so it seems. This book is the bridge between him and I. Me with my old world sympathies, him with his interest in gadgets and new technologies. It shows us how we can both get on in a modern world full of diversions. Quite simply brilliant. Well done the author!

Apocalypse When?
Apocalypse When?
by Ted Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating reading!, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Apocalypse When? (Paperback)
I've been interested in end of the world prophecies for ages, always wondered why. This book not only helps explain my strange fascination, it goes deeper. Lots of depth here, the most I've come across in the subject area. Great read!

Lives of the Improbable Saints
Lives of the Improbable Saints
by Richard Coles

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, 5 Nov. 2012
Love Richard Coles and Saturday Live; love this book too. Amusing curios about some of the strangest however many zillion saints with great illustrations to match.

Ayrton Senna: the Messiah of Motor Racing
Ayrton Senna: the Messiah of Motor Racing
by Richard Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Ayrton the man, Senna the driver!, 11 Oct. 2012
I only received this yesterday, but it's worth the wait from Amazon. Already I've gobbled up most of the first half. The author writes with wit and style. And Senna emerges from the pages as the flawed 'messiah', beautifully. Not a typical sports bio, although all the facts and stats are included! I thought maybe a wikipedia style career stats summary might have been worth putting in, but otherwise, very happy!

Kicking the Black Mamba - Life, Alcohol and Death
Kicking the Black Mamba - Life, Alcohol and Death
by Robert Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, emotive and astonishing, 30 Sept. 2012
I think I can honestly say I've never read a more heart rending and resonant book as this one. Heard the author speak on the radio and went out and bought the book. Something I don't often do. Was not disappointed!

No Oil in the Lamp
No Oil in the Lamp
by Andy Mellen

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough and well researched book on a BIG issue, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: No Oil in the Lamp (Paperback)
We are running out of oil. Oil makes the world go around. People are not paying heed to the warning signs. This book sets out the case really well for the need to prepare ourselves for a future without as much energy at our disposal. Really good on the Transition Movement too, and with lots of practical tips.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 9:07 PM BST