Profile for Ludivine > Reviews

Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
by George Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i've read in a long, long time., 21 July 2011
I've just finished reading this book. I was a bit skeptical at first and not really sure if I should spend over 12 on it, but well, I risked it. And I am in fact very, very happy I did. I have to add this is my first ever book on a subject of financial independence.

Probably if you're reading this review you're like me and millions of other people. Working long hours, unhappy with your pay, maybe your job is just not that secure, but then again, what job truly is in current economy? Maybe your job is so demanding that when you get home you can barely spend some time with your family before nodding off in front of telly? This book has opened my eyes to lots of possibilities. I am in my mid 20ties and having worked since being a teenager, I got (yes, already) tired of tedious daily grind awaiting me everyday. Quite frankly, the perspective of working until my 70ties, (that is if I'm 'lucky', as nowadays 40-year-olds have problems with finding a job) which to me is equal to working myself to death, is quite scary and disheartening. Surely there must be a different way to do things. Especially in current economic climate which proves not even great education and skills can guarantee a job anymore. To me reading this book was like a wake-up call. It's time we took our lives in our own hands instead of just slaving our time away at an office.

The book is written in plain English, perfectly understandable, which to me is a big bonus. It's a very easy, encouraging read, which even I could digest in chunks after a knackering day at work. The author basically takes you by the hand and walks you through many options that will be very useful if you decide to follow your own Plan B. As well he makes some very good points. At the end of the day, no job is secure. Life is far too precious to waste it slaving away at the desk just to get disposed of when you exceed your sell-by date. Because this is what happens. Throughout the book I felt like I was being guided by a friend, unlike many books where authors make you feel like you really don't know anything about life and they sound patronizing most of the time. This book is just one huge inspiration. I am pretty sure after reading it you too will decide to make your own preparations to finally jump the ship when it's safe to do so... I am definitely going to incorporate Plan B in my own life. Quite honestly, I can't see how can I afford not to.

All in all, if you're working your life away in a job you hate, if you still barely make ends meet and you basically feel like there must be more to life than a lethargic existence like this, and you are willing to change things, buy this book now... you won't regret it! It will definitely give you something to think about, and, who knows, might change your life forever.

The Passage (The Passage Trilogy Book 1)
The Passage (The Passage Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I want my time back.. *spoilers ahead*, 30 May 2011
I picked up this book at a local Asda, just to have something to read. Personally, I totally regret it. Like many people have already mentioned, first part of the book is pretty good. But why read this and then proceed to hundreds of pages of literally nothing, is beyond me. I can't believe this is only the first book of three. What an nightmare. For the 500 or so pages, almost nothing happens. I found the main character, Amy, quite boring and actually failed to even care what happens to her throughout the story. Moreover, the constant drivel about the importance of the girl is annoying. She barely does/says anything. The whole idea with the virus itself doesn't even add up, some people become virals, others apparently can just live infected with superhuman powers (Lacey, Alicia). Others, like Zander seem to choose who and when they kill. Journey through the desert is just flat-out dull, described stop by stop and what they did there. Characters are pretty much uninteresting, and most of them get killed off anyway. Honestly, as I got closer towards the end of the book I was so sick of those Babcock-related nightmares and dreams to the point of feeling nauseous. An ending was a huge disappointment to me. So, is that what I get after plodding through hundreds of pages, some of which I had to skip plainly out of boredom? I am disappointed and will not be buying any of the further two books.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2012 9:29 AM BST

Tripwire: (Jack Reacher 3)
Tripwire: (Jack Reacher 3)
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars My first book from this author - boring., 20 Feb 2011
This is my first book from this author. I was expecting it to be more 'gripping' and filled with action. Most parts are interesting and made me feel curious and eager to read on but the others are just plain boring. I really don't care about the color of Jodie's dress on every occasion they go out. Also, there is far too much description of her in the book versus other characters. I really don't care if she had great legs and if buttons on her shirt were little pearls, or what they ordered for dinner. It feels like we are watching her all the time through a horny guy's eyes.
Seriously, I could not care less while I am reading on trying to figure out what happens to people held hostage by the deadly messed-up villain. This is what annoyed me several times. Surely this is nothing like Jeffery Deaver I had a chance to come across before. The love-story plot was tedious and unrealistic to me, felt more like some cheap romance book. A rough, extremely fit guy with no friends, no money meets his old love, a successful lawyer, 'achingly beautiful' blondie after 15 years and they just get together like that. As well, like someone mentioned before, the book felt a bit sluggish in some places. I won't be recommending this book to friends.

The Oxford Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms (Oxford Paperback Reference)
The Oxford Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms (Oxford Paperback Reference)
by Oxford University Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 7 Jun 2009
As a foreigner living in the UK, I am trying to constantly improve my English in order to succesfully pass IELTS exam in the future. I find this book very useful while writing my essays, correspondence, or amateur novels. Sometimes, you just can't think of the right word to express something - that's when this wonderful little book comes in handy! I would say it's one of those must-have books for English-learners. Well worth the money. *UPDATE* I received an overall grade 8.0 which means this dictionary must be really helpful :)

Aim High: Student Book Bk. 2: Aiming for Grade A/A* in Edexcel GCSE Mathematics (EDEXCEL GCSE MATHS)
by Trevor Johnson
Price: 9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable book, 7 Jun 2009
This book proved to be very helpful while preparing for my GCSE Maths Higher Tier in 2009. It highlights the most common mistakes pupils make, so you can keep these in mind and avoid them on the actual exam, which saves you points! As a more of a home-based learner (I attended evening classes just once a week), I can tell this book explains everything very clearly and having the answers at the end, you can check if you understood everything properly. I found it very useful when self-studying, plain and understandable. I was reluctant at first and unsure if it wasn't just a waste of money as there are so many books of this kind out there. This one though was well worth the money. Highly recommended.

*UPDATE*Thanks to this book I got an A grade. It's worth every penny!!

Mathematics for AQA GCSE Higher Tier
Mathematics for AQA GCSE Higher Tier
by Mr Tony Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 7 Jun 2009
Being in my twenties, I decided to go back to learning after a many years' break, hoping to improve my employment prospects. Since I'm working full-time, I can't afford going back to day college, and evening classes were the only option left for me. I attended these once a week, just 3 hours. I can only say, without this book I'd be completely lost! It was recommended by my tutor right at the start of the course. I don't regret a penny! It's awesome, with all the explanations I needed, from the simplest topics like fractions, polygons or standard form, to the ones I found more difficult and challenging, like algebra, further trigonometry and further graphs. And trust me, even though I used to attend Maths at school like 6 years ago, most of the knowledge from back then vanished completely out of my brain. Still, this book walked me step by step through all the topics. I remember when I started the Factorising chapter - I just couldn't get my head around this to the point I got really angry with myself. But then, after doing all the exercises meticulously, I now can do it without struggle. I seriously recommend this book if you're planning to work on a distance GCSE Maths course, or perhaps you're an adult learner wanting to get some qualifications just like me. Five stars!

Mathematics for AQA GCSE: Intermediate Tier - Modular
Mathematics for AQA GCSE: Intermediate Tier - Modular
by Mr Tony Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, highly recommended!, 5 Oct 2008
I recommend this book to everyone who wants to pass GCSE Maths. I'm 21 and this year I started doing my evening maths classes, and our tutor recommended this book to us, we also use it during lessons. Everything is explained very clearly, from the very basics, with examples. It's worth every pound. I liked it to the point I've just ordered another one but for Higher Tier, and both student's support books. I think this series is excellent!