Profile for VinylBEAR > Reviews

Content by VinylBEAR

VinylBEAR (HongKong)

The Complete Piano Duets 2 (Frankl, Vasary)
The Complete Piano Duets 2 (Frankl, Vasary)
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent musical performance, but poor sound., 8 Jun 2014
The sound is not good at all, but both the music and the performance are excellent. I wished the production has been better. It was a digital recording done in 1992, and yet the sound is so murky and muffled, no dynamic, no treble.

July [VINYL]
July [VINYL]
Price: 23.36

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD vinyl sound., 23 April 2014
This review is from: July [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I got this vinyl (Bella Union) with the CD in it. The sound from this vinyl LP is outstanding - totally full-bodied and totally analog. Enjoy every second of playing this vinyl LP!

Decca Sound - The Analogue Years [VINYL]
Decca Sound - The Analogue Years [VINYL]
Price: 70.16

1.0 out of 5 stars * Horrible sound quality *, 14 April 2014
I have to agree with the other reviewer that the sound quality of this Decca vinyl boxset is totally unacceptable. In fact, every vinyl LP remaster and reissue from Universial Music is a complete disappointment: this Decca vinyl boxset, the Dire Straits vinyl boxset, The Who 'Tommy", T.Rex recent vinyl reissues, and all other individual vinyl LPs as well. I know it because I bought them all. There may be many reasons for such inferior sound, but one thing for sure is that they used very poor vinyl materials and pressings - the vinyls are so thick, so heavy, so stiff, & so hard which a good vinyl LP should not be. We can even tell the sound quality will be very bad the moment I pull the vinyl out of the sleeve and hold it in my hand, they got absolutely no flexibility and no elasticity at all, like a piece of metal. And we can't torlerate more than 10 sec for every LP, the sound is so sharp and irritating to the ears. What a tremendous waste of good titles. Why are UniversalMusic doing such a poor job, we don't know.

The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL]
The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL]
Price: 124.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless Quality., 6 Feb 2014
Honestly, I think it is fair to thank DMG for taking the trouble to remaster & cut them onto vinyls, and to package them so beautifully.

I must agree to the previous reviever that the actions of cutting the shrinkwrap plastic, opening the box cover, and taking the vinyls out from the individual sleeves for inspection are a true enjoyment. The individual album jackets and the pressings are so high quality that each individual album in this boxset deserved to be sold separately. In addition to the book, the boxset even includes a poster and some postcards.

And thanks to AmazonUK's price policy, the boxset only costed me 98 + shipping. I am so happy to be able to buy such a quality vinyl boxset at this value.

I hope Demon Music Group will continue to re-issue many more such quality vinyls.

Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL]
Crocodiles 2LP Hardback Book [VINYL]
Price: 52.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Collector's 2-LP Vinyl Set Very Well Produced, 9 Dec 2013
I just received my copy of this 2-LP collector's vinyl set, and I just want to say that it is a very well produced vinyl boxset. Good dark vinyl quality, good disc cutting, and very carefully packaged. My copy doesn't have any obvious surface scuff marks due to poor handling and inserting into the thick paper sleeves. Honestly, all of my vinyl records from this Vinyl 180 label are packaged and handled very carefully - almost no surface marks whatsoever on the vinyl surfaces.

Finjan Club
Finjan Club
Price: 10.51

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice & unique release., 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Finjan Club (Audio CD)
This CD is quite enjoyable overall. Very comfortable and relaxing music playing. Considering it was recorded half a century ago under such a casual occasion, the remastered sound is really quite good & natural, much better than many so-called audiophile re-mastered limited edition CDs from the USA which I have wasted lots of money in. Since I ordered from outside EU, I have VAT exemption, which makes it even a better buy. I also ordered the vinyl version. I hope more reissue labels can reissue more of this kind of music at this reasonable price.

Panorama - Passion for Piano
Panorama - Passion for Piano
Offered by hip-city
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars DG "Passion for Piano" double-CD set review., 8 Nov 2013
I already have hundreds of classical music CD, if not a thousand, and I really don't know why I bought this piano collection from Amazon.co.uk. May be I just want to have a collection of good piano music in one, or may be my huntch was telling me that this is a good buy. There are so many good piano music in this CD set played by so many outstanding pianists with such an outstanding performance. I will still strongly recommend this CD set even if you already have some of the music or some of the performers on CDs. This is a very good piano collection, espicially if you're a beginner in classical music.

Streetlife Serenade [Vinyl]
Streetlife Serenade [Vinyl]
Price: 25.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of this Music On Vinyl release., 27 Oct 2013
Why all the reviews in this page are for the CD format, while it is selling the Music On Vinyl LP reissue? I bought a copy of this vinyl reissued by Music On Vinyl and the sound quality is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I wonder whether or not any of the MoV staffs ever listened to this test pressing. The sound is so muffled, unclean, no dynamic, that it sounded like you're listening underwater. I guess they must have put the "noise reduction" button in the wrong position while remastering. In fact, about half of my MoV LPs are very poorly sounding one way or the other. And even for the relatively better sounding ones, they sound rather artificial & digital. Good pressing isn't enough, we also need good remastering/cutting as well for reissued vinyls.

Chopin: Ballades & Scherzi (Virtuoso series)
Chopin: Ballades & Scherzi (Virtuoso series)
Price: 5.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrau on Decca Virtuoso series., 14 Oct 2013
Performance: Very good.
Value-For-Money: Very Good.
Sound Quality: Very poor. I have a few Virtuoso series CDs from Decca and DG and the sound quality is really below their standard. Could be due to the source used and mastering process.
Conclusion: My opinion is that it is a nice priced CD with very good performance, but don't expect the kind of good sound one will expect from Decca or DG. If you have a good Hi-Fi system, this poor sound will affect how much you will enjoy the music.

Bloodsports [VINYL]
Bloodsports [VINYL]
Price: 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars suede - Bloodsports Vinyl LP quality, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bloodsports [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This review is about the quality of the vinyl version, not about the music. This vinyl record has a lovely gatefold design and a very nice big poster. I weighed the vinyl to be a full150g. This could have been a truly good LP record for suede. Unfortunately, the vinyl material is of extremely bad quality with all kinds of irregular black shades and grayscales all over both surfaces. The thick red cardboard innersleeve could have been a nice feature as well, but the inner surface is so coarse that the vinyl surfaces are full of scuff marks. If a band like this is issuing a new album with such nice songs, they should really pay more care and attention into the vinyl record production, and use better grade vinyl materials! Honestly, this is exactly like the lowest budget american reissue that is selling at $12.99. I have never seen any european LP using such a low grade vinyl material.