Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard

Sealskinz Waterproof Ultra grip Gloves, Black, Medium: 9
Sealskinz Waterproof Ultra grip Gloves, Black, Medium: 9

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for cycling, or skiing on warm spring days, 7 April 2012
I wore these cycling to work in London over winter and skiing for a week in France, and my hands were very rarely cold. They won't keep your hands warm if you're standing around in very cold conditions (below -5 Celsius), but if you're active and your heart rate's up then they should be great for anything between -10 to 10 degrees Celsius. They're not perfectly waterproof, but the membrane works fairly well for preventing water from making it into the inner layer. More importantly, they are still warm even when damp.

Small Device Tool Kit - Screw Driver, Faceplate Pry Bars, Suction Cup & MORE!
Small Device Tool Kit - Screw Driver, Faceplate Pry Bars, Suction Cup & MORE!
Offered by cheap4uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to., 7 April 2012
I bought this for opening an iPod and was able to open the iPod. I needed a knife as well though, as the plastic parts aren't strong enough to force the gap open: They're only good for holding it open while you work on other edges.

iPod Classic 80GB 120GB Headphone Jack & Hold Switch Black
iPod Classic 80GB 120GB Headphone Jack & Hold Switch Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Now my headphone jack works but my hold switch doesn't, 7 April 2012
I bought this because my headphone jack was dead in one channel, so I could only hear through one earphone. After installing this, my headphone now works perfectly but my hold switch doesn't :(. Not sure whether it was faulty, or whether I bodged the installation. They clearly salvaged it from a used iPod, so it may well be the former. Oh well..

Koss UR55 On-Ear Studio Pulse Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, bit warm though., 7 April 2012
I like how these headphone sound and look. My only complaint is that my ears get very hot when wearing them, even in winter. Also it'd perhaps be nice if they had a volume control, but no biggie - keeps things simple I guess.

German Army Issue Goretex, Faux Fur Liner Over Mitt (Medium)
German Army Issue Goretex, Faux Fur Liner Over Mitt (Medium)
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality gloves, very warm, 7 April 2012
I've worn these gloves for a couple of days while skiing in a snowstorm. They weren't the most waterproof, but thanks to their faux fur lining (which feels very synthetic and dry to the touch), they remained very warm even when wet. The liner is able to be pulled out/inverted at the end of the day, which helps dry them quickly. My one concern is that I noticed some of the fur starting to shed already, so I imagine it might be the first thing to wear out under repeated use. Still, these are good value for the price, and every bit as good as much more expensive branded ski gloves.

Lost Cities
Lost Cities

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enjoyable as I'd hoped, but good value nonetheless., 7 April 2012
This review is from: Lost Cities (Toy)
I bought this to play at the pub with friends or on dates, on the recommendation of Defective Yeti (Link: [...]). Gameplay is pretty quick once you get your head around it, but you generally need to play a demo round and then work out your score to understand it properly. That said, rounds are fairly quick to paly: generally about 30mins. The instructions are trickier to understand than necessary, and explaining the game to someone works a lot better than reading the booklet. Scoring at the end is also pretty taxing if your mental arithmetic is poor (which is often the case after a few pints down the pub while playing). I never found myself fully invested in the game, so I've not found it especially enthralling, but it's a decent enough diversion, and extremely portable.