Profile for C. Mitchell > Reviews

Content by C. Mitchell

C. Mitchell (S. Oxon, England)

Invisible Disc Plate Hangers 100mm
Invisible Disc Plate Hangers 100mm
Offered by Cutlers Home Store
Price: 2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy service, exactly what we needed., 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Invisible Disc Plate Hangers 100mm
We needed something to display a rather exensive plate, that wasn't a naff plate stand. This product displays plates invisibly and securely. Delivery was very speedy.

Fludd
Fludd
by Hilary Mantel
Price: 6.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Darkly comic, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Fludd (Paperback)
This is the second Hilary Mantel book I have read; the first being A Place of Greater Safety. Fludd is much more concise, the storyline follows a traditional path (A Place of Greater Safety meanders a little over 800+ pages) and is pleasingly funny. The characters are a little ambiguous and I like the way Hilary Mantel teases you with snippets of their personality as the story develops. Others have given a plot summary so I would just say that I read the book on holiday and my husband is reading it now as he heard me chortling while I was reading it. A good read.

Zoggs Deluxe stretch Spandex swimming cap - (Colour: Navy) [Misc.]
Zoggs Deluxe stretch Spandex swimming cap - (Colour: Navy) [Misc.]
Offered by notonlybowls
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars the best swim cap on the market, 1 July 2010
This review is from: Zoggs Deluxe Stretch Cap (Misc.)
This was purchased as a present for a reluctant cap wearer and it has been a success. Both our children wear them.

Neon Bible
Neon Bible
Price: 7.75

5.0 out of 5 stars An album to wallow in, 15 Aug 2007
This review is from: Neon Bible (Audio CD)
I think this album is more even than Funeral and loved it on first hearing. Some tracks are fantastically gloomy and dark like Black Mirror and Intervention, some are more accessible like Keep The Car Running and No Cars Go and some like My Body is a Cage give you goosebumps. Antichrist Television Blues does sound like Bruce Springsteen on speed, but is no bad thing for that. You get the impassioned singing from Win Butler and the mixture of musical instruments that worked so well on Funeral, but to me, this album seems to reach that bit higher.

Release the Stars
Release the Stars
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me a few listens, but now I love it as much as Want 1&2, 20 Jun 2007
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
On first listen I felt disappointed with this album but now I love it. There is only one weak track (track 4) in my opinion, the others are either instantly brilliant or need a bit of careful listening. The lyrics are clever and revealing as ever and the songs range from full ochestration to Rufus and a piano. I particularly like the recorder at the end of Rules and Regulations and the little theme from Sanssouci that gets inside your head. You just never know what to expect with RW - Slideshow starts off as a bit of a gloomy lovesong and turns into a meglomaniac's call to be "prominently featured in your next slideshow". Witty, fun and beautiful to listen to.

The Hotel New Hampshire (Black Swan)
The Hotel New Hampshire (Black Swan)
by John Irving
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars best entry book for John Irving, 8 Nov 2006
I think this is the best book to start with if reading John Irving, as it has his trademarks of love, sex (sometimes incestuous), comedy and loss. As it centres on a family, there are more characters to enjoy than some of his other novels which concentrate on one or two individuals. It's a bit of an epic, moving from the US to Vienna and back again. I fell in love with the family and their eccentric ways and strange associates. It won't make you cry as much as Owen Meany, but it will make you laugh more. Highly recommended.