Profile for Holly > Reviews

Content by Holly

Holly "Holly" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
by Aliki

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST intro to greek myths, 23 Nov. 2013
I have been wanting to introduce my daughter (now aged 6) to the Greek myths and have searched for a good book. This one is superb. Lots of detail, but not too much. Interesting tidbits that make you go wow. Great illustrations. Perfect tone - upbeat, exciting, awe inspiring, not gory or scary. It covers the creation story, the genealogy of the gods and goddesses, plus 1-3 paragraphs on each of the main gods (the twelve with thrones on Mt Olympus plus Eros, Hestia, and Hades [from my memory!]). My daughter has asked for this book every night since she has gotten it and now knows who all the main gods are and what they rule over. We've had it about two weeks. I bought previously another Greek myth book which I thought was better than most but that one engendered no enthusiasm whatsoever. This would be a great intro for an older child too who has no background in the gods and goddesses and is struggling with the complexity of a more advanced book. I know we will get years of use from this book. Can't recommend it enough.

Staedtler Lumocolor Whiteboard Marker 351WP6 Bullet Tip - Assorted Colours (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars The ink erases!, 9 July 2013
My daughter has had a white board for some time, and I had been buying the markers for it at Tesco. The pens would only erase with wet kitchen paper (the white board eraser would just cause the writing to be erased to smear). Problem solved when I got these markers! She can now write and easily wipe her writing away. Colours are bright and clear. They also seem to be lasting well - despite the fact that she often uses them on paper too.

Bigjigs Toys BJ719 Wooden Magnetic Letters
Bigjigs Toys BJ719 Wooden Magnetic Letters
Offered by Bigjigs Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice set, 18 Jun. 2013
A very nice set. Nice colours. Nice size. Very appealing. My daughter and her friends play with them quite a lot. My only improvement for them would be that the magnet for each letter is stronger. They stick fine to the fridge but are not strong enough to hold up papers. Here is what you get: One capital for each letter;
4-a, 4-e, 4-u, 3-i, 3-o, 3-p, 3-m, 1-v; 2 of all the rest. I do wish there were a few more letters to make rhyming words and sentences.

Melissa & Doug Jumbo Colouring Pad - Pink
Melissa & Doug Jumbo Colouring Pad - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Colouring Book, 3 Jun. 2013
My daughter loved this colouring book. I wish they had another just like it. It is nice quality paper. Just the right amount of detail in the pictures. A really nice assortment of pictures - animals, flowers, princesses, fairies, etc.

BRIO Rail Viaduct Bridge
BRIO Rail Viaduct Bridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Thomas and Percy don't go over without a push, 10 May 2013
This review is from: BRIO Rail Viaduct Bridge (Toy)
Our battery-operated thomas and percy don't make it over. They need a little push. Otherwise a nice, sturdy bridge. It always is selected for the track.

Usborne Book of Greek Myths (Usborne Myths & Legends)
Usborne Book of Greek Myths (Usborne Myths & Legends)
by Anna Milbourne

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't care for writing style, 16 Feb. 2013
The physical book was beautiful - nice quality in every way. The maps & reference section and illustrations seemed excellent. However, when I actually opened the book and read the stories, I didn't like the writing style. For example, in the Perseus and Medusa story (the only story I started to read), one character calls the other "silly", etc. I also thought that story was a bit long and wordy and unnecessarily scary for my purposes (reading out loud to a five year old). I have returned this one and have reordered the Clayton book on Greek Myths.

Ronia, The Robber's Daughter
Ronia, The Robber's Daughter
by Astrid Lindgren

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Pippi Longstocking, 22 Nov. 2012
I enjoyed the book but was a little disappointed as I was hoping it would be as good as Pippi Longstocking. To me, Pippi was absolutely outstanding; this one was good.

Clarity LS-15 Front-Loading CD / CD+Graphics Karaoke Player
Clarity LS-15 Front-Loading CD / CD+Graphics Karaoke Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Microphone barely audible over CD, 15 Nov. 2012
I have to send this back. It was intended to be a Christmas present for my 5 yr old daughter, and so I gave it a try to see how it worked. Unfortunately, my voice in the microphone was barely audible over the CD when it was playing. Also the microphone doesn't work unless a CD is playing so you can't speak to your audience before the music begins. The CD sound quality was more than adequate for a children's CD player (I would be OK with it listening in the kitchen, but I am not overly fussy about this). The whole look of the machine I also liked, and it was a nice size (not too big!). The flashing lights switch on and off, which is nice (I would leave them off, but someone else might like them on!). I am so disappointed because I liked a lot of things about it, but the microphone functionality was absolutely key for me.

Viga Wooden Magnetic Letters 52 Piece
Viga Wooden Magnetic Letters 52 Piece
Offered by activeleisure

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough letters, 20 Sept. 2012
The letters arrived and they look quite nice, but I figured out that there will be 26 capitals and 26 lowercase in the box - not enough to spell anything. I didn't open the packaging because I will return them. From what I can see, however, the colours are nice and bright, and they look nice in the packaging. The capitals are about 4 cm high. It also looks like the whole back of each letter is magnetic so maybe they hold to the fridge?

Oxford Reading Tree: Stage 1+: Songbirds: Bob Bug
Oxford Reading Tree: Stage 1+: Songbirds: Bob Bug
by Julia Donaldson

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I have found and quite good, 18 Sept. 2012
Overall I am pleased with my purchase. My daughter who can basically sound out simple, three-letter words was thrilled to be able to read a book all by herself. The stories are entertaining (sometimes laugh-out-loud funny), and the pictures are colourful and fun. To understand the stories completely you have to follow along with the pictures - probably unavoidable given the limited vocabulary. The vast majority of words in the stories are decodable (e.g. consonant-short vowel-consonant like "cat").

I don't give the stories 5 stars because I don't like the fact that some use contractions, possessives, and irregular spellings (i.e. Zak and yuk -
I wish they had called Zak Tim instead and spelled "yuk" as "yuck" since the "k" sound at the end of a simple word is usually spelled "ck" like sock, rack, lick, etc.). The contractions and possessives are unnecessary complications at this point.

"Bob Bug" and "Dig, Dig, Dig" are my husband and my favourites by far if you are only looking for a couple of stories.

The "hardest" words in each story are as follows (the rest are totally decodable with short vowels):

Top Cat: I
Sam's Pot:a
Bob Bug: is, a, has, his
Dig, Dig, Dig: his, a, of
Zak: better
Mum Bug's Bag: has, a, her, hole
Cat Naps: a, it's, of
Pen Fun: a, of, gives, the, to, has
Big Cod: a, Tim's, tugs,
Pins and Pegs: was, Let's, pins, pegs, the
Is It?: what, bug's, is, it's, Tim's,
Mix,Mix, Mix: has, tins, of, lemon, melon, rubs, yuk,

Page: 1 | 2 | 3